Strange chime ('bong') in the background

On my Octavia 2019 1.5 SE L hatch, there is a recurring soft 'bong' chime sound quite regularly.  It is not the door open or seatbelt warning sound.  On the dash, no alert lights or alarms show.  Quite a mystery!

It is in the background and not obviously linked to any event/data/switch or other action.  Does anyone have a possible explanation?  While the chime is not intrusive, loud or annoying it would be nice to know what it is.  Thanks in advance, folks.  

Had a faint boing, boing, boing, in my car a while ago, could not find the cause until I disconnected it was the dashcam (Viofo) a reformat and reset did it. Boing gone.

• Like 1

Could possibly be your satnav alerting you to a nearby POI e.g. a Petrol Station or Speedcam if you have it enabled in the settings. If you've enabled an audible alert for a POI it will make a noise even if your navigation screen isn't on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, AuroraF10 said:

On my Octavia 2019 1.5 SE L hatch, there is a recurring soft 'bong' chime sound quite regularly.  It is not the door open or seatbelt warning sound.  On the dash, no alert lights or alarms show.  Quite a mystery!

It is in the background and not obviously linked to any event/data/switch or other action.  Does anyone have a possible explanation?  While the chime is not intrusive, loud or annoying it would be nice to know what it is.  Thanks in advance, folks.  

Do you have any external devices connected? (mobile, sat nav, dashcam). If so it could be these creating the noise through your car. 

Could be as someone else has mentioned you have audio queues on your navigation for POIs set to on when not using navigation on screen. This is easily switched off in your navigation settings. 

You don't have a speed limit warning set? This is done on your trip computer but usually displays a message alongside the warning tone. 

Finally and again as someone has mentioned it could be a batter related warning but I would have thought this would cause a dash light to come on if serious. 

• Like 1

If you have a VC, it comes up with a warning saying key battery low or something like that, mine did it the other day outside Lidl, so I popped back in and got 4x keyfob batteries for a £3. That'll keep me going for a while. 

It's the same noise as all the other faults. 

Edited by TheWanderer
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TheWanderer said:

What's your sauce of inflammation? 

Hey, come on now... Enough taking the mick out of my post... The information contained within came from a reliable sauce... 

275609011_0_640x640.jpg

Edited by GlitchGolder

(Love the typos and banter my post has generated :biggrin:)

Just to say many thanks for all your idea and thoughts on my post -- all appreciated.  So far I cannot put it down to any of these situations or faults.  Will try out some things and see how we go. 

11 minutes ago, AuroraF10 said:

(Love the typos and banter my post has generated :biggrin:)

Just to say many thanks for all your idea and thoughts on my post -- all appreciated.  So far I cannot put it down to any of these situations or faults.  Will try out some things and see how we go. 

I just hope you didn't get the car on a HP... purely because that opens up the sauce jokes all over again. 

Anyway, hope you get it sorted. Keep us posted. 

• 2 weeks later...

A few days ago now, ajw1100 mentioned this 'bong' chime could be associated with a dashcam.  Yup, it sure is!  After exhaustive testing, note keeping and observations, 

I realise the sound only happens when my Aukey dashcam boots up or saves its video files.

Thanks ajw1100 :)

• Haha 1

Just a lucky guess. Pleased you found the problem, I have acute hearing which is great at times but a pain when I hear bongs, rattles, vibrations within the car, drives me mad until I find the reason. I was going to write source but thought better of it.

My Dash-Cam bonged when it has stopped functioning, so needed to be reset, a good thing I suppose otherwise I may not have known it was no longer recording.