New rims 😬

1 hour ago, MarkyG82 said:

How much lighter are these aftermarket wheels compared to OEM?

Completely depends on the size, brand, manufacturing process.

Mine are ATS racelights in 19 x 8.5j, so should be heavier than the OEM Gemini (18 x 7.5j). But they're actually lighter (10kg vs 12.2Kg), because they're flow formed rather than cast.

Flow formed are typically stronger too and forged wheels even lighter and stronger (but loads more expensive).

All the aftermarket wheels I've had, I've made sure are lighter (Speedline turini 18" x 8 - 9kg, Autec wizard 19" x 8 - 9.6kg) as it makes the car nicer to drive.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MarkyG82 said:

How much lighter are these aftermarket wheels compared to OEM?

Mine are 18 x 8 GMP Italia Dea which are about 1 kg heavier than the Gemini’s I think. I certainly can’t tell any difference at all but it’s an extra 4kg; who would? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CookieMonster87 said:

Sorry to go off topic.

@DC04R have you changed your spoiler? Could have sworn you had an extension fitted in a previous photo.

hi mate, yeah.

I bought an OEM black magic spoiler last month and sold the maxton extension thing. can't help myself buying little bits for it :happy: 

• Like 1

@DC04R yeah it’s a bug isn’t it?! Can I ask where you got one and how much you paid? I’m looking at getting one myself. I’ve seen them on SuperSkoda for €220.

Back on topic, is it recommended having a full wheel alignment and tracking done (including LED lights) when you change wheels or springs? 

Oh ok, sort of on topic. 

Don't need to change alignment or anything when changing wheels, but you will have to when dropping suspension - especially on the rear. On a small drop that the HR springs give, there's no need to recalibrate cameras or lights, no.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Vtec9000 said:

Nice Wheels Dave

Question off topic what is the tint type/% on windows below? Just about to tint myself and those look good to me! 

86CA0904-5A55-4E09-BCE7-565584D37106.jpeg

5% limo tint rear screen and 20% tints down the sides mate. Full glass out install so no nasty edges on show when the windows down. Originally I planned on 5% limo on the sides as well but the chap who did them for me talked me out of it and I’m glad he did; with hindsight I think 5% would be far too dark all round. Fronts will probably be next after lowering springs are delivered and fitted. 70% is the legal limit for front sides so I’ll be going for that, and a nice blue chameleon tint on the front windscreen which gives 78% (75% legal limit)

10 hours ago, DC04R said:

I'll Pm you mate. Don't want to clog up the OP's thread!

Don’t worry about clogging up the thread; fire away with anything related or non related as far as I’m concerned 

10 hours ago, DC04R said:

Oh ok, sort of on topic. 

Don't need to change alignment or anything when changing wheels, but you will have to when dropping suspension - especially on the rear. On a small drop that the HR springs give, there's no need to recalibrate cameras or lights, no.

I’m dropping suspension (h&r springs 30mm rear 50mm front) and fitting 15mm wheel spacers all round shortly and will definitely be having wheel alignment and tracking done after that 

• Like 1

Loving the gloss black rims, thinking about something similar on my white wagon probably 19's and keep the std 18's for winter. What do people do about the tyre pressure monitoring senders, I am assuming they are in the std rims? Would I just need to get a second set for the new rims.?

3 hours ago, Liteboy said:

Loving the gloss black rims, thinking about something similar on my white wagon probably 19's and keep the std 18's for winter. What do people do about the tyre pressure monitoring senders, I am assuming they are in the std rims? Would I just need to get a second set for the new rims.?

TPMS on the Octy doesn’t have wheel mounted sensors mate. The ABS system monitors wheel rotation speeds and if/when a tyre deflates that wheel's speed will increase in comparison to the others; and this will trigger the TPMS to pipe up with a tyre pressure loss warning 

22 minutes ago, SaltyDave said:

TPMS on the Octy doesn’t have wheel mounted sensors mate. The ABS system monitors wheel rotation speeds and if/when a tyre deflates that wheel's speed will increase in comparison to the others; and this will trigger the TPMS to pipe up with a tyre pressure loss warning 

Cheers for that did wonder as nobody seemed to reference them anywhere. 

• Like 1