Stanced coilover kits - thoughts?

Hi everyone. I stumbled across some Stanced Coilover kits whilst trawling the internet for lowering options for my Octy III. Originally planned on just going with lowering springs (H&R 40mm seems to be the general consensus amongst most of you) but was managing to get myself fairly confused as to which springs would and wouldn’t fit my 2.0tdi vRS 4x4. Anyway as said I came across these Stanced coilovers. Front lowering range 30mm-65mm. Rear 30-60mm. A kit specifically for the 4x4. And only £269.99. Blimey. “Too good to be true?” I wondered. And that leads me to ask: does anyone here have any knowledge of, or experience with, a Stanced coilover kit? And if so what are your pros and cons? Opinions? Thoughts? Recommendations? Reviews? Are they actually a decent buy or should they be avoided at all costs? Etc. Etc. 

Any input on the matter would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

Edited by SaltyDave

Hello mate, not sure on Stanced coilovers as a brand. I'm guessing its their stanced+ Street variant? Anyways, I will just raise some caution regarding the price of these. They're cheap. Cheap coilovers usually end with negative results. The ride is likely to be way too harsh for the UK, the bodies will be a cheap material, one thats likely to corrode. I'd avoid, I had cheap coilovers on one previous car (mk1 cupra R) and regretted not investing, it might as well have nearly broke my spine and definitely destroyed other components by making everything way too harsh a ride. Essentially ruined a really good car. 

If you can invest in a more expensive brand (KW variant 2's or 3's at a push) with damper rebound adjustable settings is the better way to do it, that way you can tune out the harshness by compensating the rebound settings to suit. Problem there is price is going up 3 or 4 times that of the Stanced coilovers. I'm sure the H&R's for your skoda quattro VR TDi are part number: HR-28833-3. Awesome GTi stock these...

• Thanks 1

• Sponsor

They're basically like most other budget kits, you get what you pay for and most are made in the same factory in China and then rebranded or powder coated a different colour. If budget allows spend a bit more and you'll end up with a much better product.

Damian @ DPM Performance 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheap kit just for lows.

For £270 I don't see the problem and if you aren't fussed about crisp handling. They might not last very long (rust wise) but they're suit a purpose.

I had JOMs on my e36 and they were comfy as hell! I'd want to go Bilstein B14 at the least now though, I want my car to handle well.

• Thanks 1

On 22/09/2020 at 23:15, Towelie said:

Hello mate, not sure on Stanced coilovers as a brand. I'm guessing its their stanced+ Street variant? Anyways, I will just raise some caution regarding the price of these. They're cheap. Cheap coilovers usually end with negative results. The ride is likely to be way too harsh for the UK, the bodies will be a cheap material, one thats likely to corrode. I'd avoid, I had cheap coilovers on one previous car (mk1 cupra R) and regretted not investing, it might as well have nearly broke my spine and definitely destroyed other components by making everything way too harsh a ride. Essentially ruined a really good car. 

If you can invest in a more expensive brand (KW variant 2's or 3's at a push) with damper rebound adjustable settings is the better way to do it, that way you can tune out the harshness by compensating the rebound settings to suit. Problem there is price is going up 3 or 4 times that of the Stanced coilovers. I'm sure the H&R's for your skoda quattro VR TDi are part number: HR-28833-3. Awesome GTi stock these...

Got on to H&R and the part number they gave for the 4x4 is 28833-4; which drops the front 50mm and the back 30mm. To be honest I’ll be happy with that. As much as I’d love to have her sat lower than a slugs belly on coilovers I’ve been reminded (quite forcibly) by the other half that it’s supposed to be a “practical family car”. Which I think loosely translates to: she wants to fill the boot up with **** all the time 😂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SaltyDave said:

Got on to H&R and the part number they gave for the 4x4 is 28833-4; which drops the front 50mm and the back 30mm. To be honest I’ll be happy with that. As much as I’d love to have her sat lower than a slugs belly on coilovers I’ve been reminded (quite forcibly) by the other half that it’s supposed to be a “practical family car”. Which I think loosely translates to: she wants to fill the boot up with **** all the time 😂

Would be better. The pic in your wheel thread shows how low the h and r go. I've got them on mine. 

1 minute ago, DC04R said:

Would be better. The pic in your wheel thread shows how low the h and r go. I've got them on mine. 

Got them ordered. £180 which I thought is a good price. Can’t wait to get them on 

• Like 1

Just now, SaltyDave said:

Got them ordered. £180 which I thought is a good price. Can’t wait to get them on 

Top tip, get some new top mounts too while changing springs. Wish id done mine, got the slightest knock now and again and think it's down to top mounts. Saves paying labour twice 

• Thanks 1

Just now, DC04R said:

Top tip, get some new top mounts too while changing springs. Wish id done mine, got the slightest knock now and again and think it's down to top mounts. Saves paying labour twice 

Even better tip; have your best mate be a mechanic 😉 👍🏻. His labour costs tend to be alcoholic 😂

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DC04R said:

Cheap kit just for lows.

Bang on.... if all the OP is after is cheap lows then cheap it is. 

However, if you want lows with a comfortable ride AND “crispy” handling avoid like AIDS. I’m not kidding. 

• Like 2