Roomster ... or Dumpster

Yes that's when the Roomster comes into its own! When my mother died and I had to clear the house ,numerous trips were made to charity shops with clothes etc. And bigger stuff to the tip ,again with numerous trips. Nearly cleared the whole house ,except for some furniture that was so well made I couldn't break or saw up to go in Roomster. Had to hire a clearance chap with a transit pick up to clear the rest taking one load . Should add anything that could be recycled was.

Indeed. What a contrast with the only brand new car I ever bought, a MK1 VW Polo. Its 900 cc 50bhp engine buzzed along happily if noisily at 5000rpm when travelling at 70mph. Boot space was limited to say the least!  The bench back seat flopped down forwards to lie at quite a steep angle, which increased luggage space from miniscule to tiny.  I was lucky to get 35mpg  with cautious driving. The engine constantly needed tappet clearances, contact breaker clearance, dwell angle, and spark plug maintenance. But I did 80k miles in it over 10 years. although I don't remember too many trips to the dump!

I think your memory may be playing tricks with you regarding the constant tappet adjustments.

Together with the Audi 80 that preceeded it was the start of the glory days for VW with the water cooled FWD range.

The 900cc Polo engine was like a sewing machine.

Your 50hp is optimistic, that would have made it a GTi! I recall they were 40hp but thoroughbred horses, they certainly went like a Ferrari compared to a 37hp Mini 850.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, moleinaroomster said:

DSG does make for a relaxing drive. I wish I could, but I can't master left foot braking; having spent 45 years driving manual cars before this first automatic I just can't educate my "clutch" foot to be gentle!

I would not be comfortable with left foot braking as I drive manual and autos

• Like 1