What's this pipe / tube by the rear wheel (driver's side)?

Hawthorn654

Hi all

I was checking my tyre pressures this morning then I noticed a pipe/tube hanging unconnected by the rear wheel (driver's side)...  Anyone know what this is please, and more importantly whether it needs to be connected to something!  

Many thanks 

IMG_20200928_133857858_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200928_133920938_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200928_133925733.jpg

PS - please excuse the mud :)

Edited by Hawthorn654

pour a little milk into the area below the petrol filling spout (you can rinse it later) and see where it comes out.

Edited by farty
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies and help.  Knowing little about cars and had worried that it was something to do with the brakes, or something else that could have ended in disaster!  Happy to hear its something simple and as it should be.  Makes a nice change. 

Just now, Wino said:

Why milk not just water?

Because it is so distinctive.  A cup of milk will colour a sinkful of water.  And it's biodegradable.  Bit smelly if not flushed away.  

When I worked on ships, we found a lot of open-ended pipes draining into the bilges.  All bilge water has to be treated in a bilge separator and capacity is limited.  My predecessor was wont to put a bung in the drain pipe and wait for someone to complain of backed up drains!  I preferred to send someone around, pouring milk down each drain.  All the wash-hand basins and showers were already plumbed into the grey water sewage disposal plant so there were not too many scuppers to check.  One was traced to the sink in the Engineers' workshop!

• Haha 1

I can see its value as a distinctive marker, but in this case I think a little dribble of water in to the hole in front of the fuel filler cap would be decisive enough.

Your story reminds me of a yachting 'fail' from many years ago.  The owner/skipper (not me!) was concerned about bilge water arriving without explanation in the fairly new-to-him cruiser-racer that we'd taken down to the med in a staged race, stopping at various fun ports along the way.  Had it taken out of the water at some mediterranean port and insisted that the stern gland get replaced as it was all he could think of, even though the boatyard said it was fine.  Spent a fair bit on the job cause he was in a hurry and then asked us crew to give it a washdown and polish while it was still out of the water...

Shortly after washing the decks, water was found in the bilges once more.  Turns out that for reasons unknown some of the deck drainage went into the frickin boat instead of out of it. :D  

Simply not clever.

personally I'd prefer screenwash. Perhaps one of the flavoured type. Then you'd know by the smell, and if it does get into fuel, it'll burn

Yes, there are many alternatives to milk.  Blood, urine, diesel, petrol, oil, kerosene (central heating oil), red wine, whisky, gin, vodka, cider, beer, and many more.  But milk is handy and won't poison your cat.

• Like 1