Becoming a new owner of the Kamiq

TheSavageKamiq

Hello all!

I will be taking ownership of the Kamiq hopefully before 31st Dec 2020 (this is the estimated date I was told until it comes from the factory).

It will be the SE edition, 1.0TSI 116PS DSG 7spd with no extra options added.

Is there any information that you can give to me like any niggles, disadvantages? Tell me how your ownership has been so far? 

I will look forward to hearing from all Kamiq owners out there!

TIA.

• Like 1

Yes its good but it feels 'cheaper' than my 18 plate Karoq I PX'd to get the Kamiq.

The roof lining doesn't feel as premium as the Karoq but I think its a better driving position and more comfortable then the karoq.

I'm also getting better economy too, between 46-49mpg depending on driving style.

Hope your wait is short and you drive it often.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Tim1631 said:

Welcome. I can't help with the Kamiq unfortunately, however heard good things about it. 

Enjoy it when it comes 😎

14 hours ago, Macdemon said:

Yes its good but it feels 'cheaper' than my 18 plate Karoq I PX'd to get the Kamiq.

The roof lining doesn't feel as premium as the Karoq but I think its a better driving position and more comfortable then the karoq.

I'm also getting better economy too, between 46-49mpg depending on driving style.

Hope your wait is short and you drive it often.

Cheers guys!

On 01/10/2020 at 15:02, xTH3xMoDsZx said:

Hello all!

I will be taking ownership of the Kamiq hopefully before 31st Dec 2020 (this is the estimated date I was told until it comes from the factory).

It will be the SE edition, 1.0TSI 116PS DSG 7spd with no extra options added.

Is there any information that you can give to me like any niggles, disadvantages? Tell me how your ownership has been so far? 

I will look forward to hearing from all Kamiq owners out there!

TIA.

I have the same spec SE 1.0TSI 116PS DSG 7spd with no extra options added.

Brilliant car for cruising on the motorway, driving around town the engine is virtually silent (unless you have a very heavy right foot). Great fuel econ, the 116Ps 1.0 TSI engine is brilliant and works surprising well with the cruise control, but the Kamiq does have poor stereo sound in comparison to some cars I've owned (my Kamiq has the bass on max to get a reasonable sound out of the speakers) the sound in my daughter's Citigo Monte Carlo is better as was my that in UP GTi let alone comparing to our Q3.

Excellent driving position, can't fault it.

In SE trim the ride is very good, as is the visibility out of the Kamiq.

Handling with DSG box, well it varies greatly and I'll explain...... The DSG software means that if you're driving in what I call waft mode ( the car just wafts you along serenely ) it's refined quiet and comfortable BUT the software always has you in the highest gear possible to account for the best possible fuel economy/emissions for WLTP. This means as you get to a tight corner or a roundabout you're in the wrong gear, the front end runs wide a little and lets down the sharpness of an otherwise impeccable ride/handling setup. The solution is to tap the gear selector backwards into sport, it drops down a gear or two leaving you in a gear that gives the car a much sharper/rewarding turn in, and genuinely transforms the handling. Once on the straight I pop it back into D (waft mode) from S. Leaving it in Sport does affect the fuel economy somewhat.

I've never heard anyone comment on this feature of the Kamiq from either car journalists or owners. Given that the sport selection doesn't change the set up of the car (steering or suspension) just the gear it's in I've never come across a car that changes character in the same way. I suppose that's because up until now few cars would have been given software to have the gearbox select 7th gear at 40 mph! But tapping it into sport always puts a smile on my face.

The more I drive it the better it feels.

• Thanks 1

The gear shifter can just go to manual and drop one gear at a time as you wish & then knock it back into 'D' rather than shift back to 'S'.

In 'S' it has 6 gears and changes up at a higher RPM,  in manual you are just dropping from 7 D to 6 D etc.

D back to S to decelerate is very handy, especially in winter, off the accelerator and D back to S and no or less touching of the brakes.

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

The gear shifter can just go to manual and drop one gear at a time as you wish & then knock it back into 'D' rather than shift back to 'S'.

In 'S' it has 6 gears and changes up at a higher RPM,  in manual you are just dropping from 7 D to 6 D etc.

yes you are right you can use it as a sequential gearbox and select each gear but the SE doesn't have the paddle shift and using the gear selector to do it doesn't really float my boat too much like hard work and the gear change takes too long to change up or down IMO.

• Confused 1

As I said doesn't really float my boat. not my idea of fun - if I wanted to change the gears manually I'd have gone for a manual.

But if it works for you then good on ya!

• Like 3

I understand fully.

But then you drop to S and you are down at least one gear, maybe 2 and you are still in Auto but in S.   If you need a lower gear you need to go to D then knock across to M.

Exactly as meant to, great on back roads, point and shoot, decelerate off the accelerator.

It is a Semi Automatic hence the S-A.   Knowing across to M has you in the same gear, then you can drop as you might want or need, 7 to 6 to 5.

Personally i never do the upshifts in 'M'  i knock back to D for that and the gear shifts are not having it revving high in the gears.

That is the beauty of the DQ200 DSG and revvy engines, you use the box as it suits you best and according to which engine it is fitted to.

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 2

I got my Kamiq 1.5 SEL DSG about a month ago trading in my Karoq. I was a bit worried about the lower driving position however it's fine and the steering is a bit lighter which suits me. Rear legroom is ok and boot space just about adequate.

Auto gearbox also very good. The only slight niggles I have are regarding the updated dashboard and controls from the Karoq which I've not really come to terms with (I'm a technophobe) especially the fan for the climate control which is adjustable on the navigation screen and I don't find it user friendly.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Update on my build.

Didn't arrive on the intended 31st December 2020.

Messaged Skoda UK on Monday and they have said that the build week is unconfirmed for the 8th February 2021.

Going to message them again at the end of January-beginning of February to see if this date has turned into a confirmed build week. 🤞

Ouch,  sorry to hear of the delay.  

But with the latest rounds of lockdowns, I fear it was probably inevitable.

I've had my Kamiq since early September, but only managed 1059 miles in that 4 month period. Due to lockdowns, so not had the pleasure to take it for a family "holiday" and all that entails.

The one thing I love in this winter snap...is the heated front windscreen.

To get back on topic.. you are getting the "SE edition, 1.0TSI 116PS DSG 7spd with no extra options added"  

The car is imo fantastic, it does what it says on the tin. The view from the drivers position shows a raised bonnet, that gives it a feel of a larger SUV.  (been in other similar sized SUV's and cant see bonnet) .  Boot space was fine for my Labrador (took dog to showroom, just to check before i bought it).

As others have mentioned, the DSG box is very nice and if i were you, use the S mode in urban, the D mode on open road.   bit simplistic, but hey!

The screen you will have will be different to mine.  But ensure you get the dealer to walk through it in depth when you collect your car.  Its a whole new generation of crapp ass computing "what the hell"  type of driving.    And on that note just mention that you should try and find as many youtube videos of the car you want to buy.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Heat said:

Ouch,  sorry to hear of the delay.  

But with the latest rounds of lockdowns, I fear it was probably inevitable.

I've had my Kamiq since early September, but only managed 1059 miles in that 4 month period. Due to lockdowns, so not had the pleasure to take it for a family "holiday" and all that entails.

The one thing I love in this winter snap...is the heated front windscreen.

To get back on topic.. you are getting the "SE edition, 1.0TSI 116PS DSG 7spd with no extra options added"  

The car is imo fantastic, it does what it says on the tin. The view from the drivers position shows a raised bonnet, that gives it a feel of a larger SUV.  (been in other similar sized SUV's and cant see bonnet) .  Boot space was fine for my Labrador (took dog to showroom, just to check before i bought it).

As others have mentioned, the DSG box is very nice and if i were you, use the S mode in urban, the D mode on open road.   bit simplistic, but hey!

The screen you will have will be different to mine.  But ensure you get the dealer to walk through it in depth when you collect your car.  Its a whole new generation of crapp ass computing "what the hell"  type of driving.    And on that note just mention that you should try and find as many youtube videos of the car you want to buy.

Thanks!

Yeah, that's true! Didn't help that they didn't have any stock vehicles left over when I ordered and apparently they said that they ran out of stock on the 1.0TSI DSG's.

It'll be defo worth the wait, I test drove two Kamiq's, one 1.0TSI SE manual and 1.5TSI DSG SEL (which the bloke at the dealer didn't tell me it was a 1.5, he told me it was a 1.0ltr - which kind of annoyed me cause I said I wanted to test drive only a 1ltr DSG), didn't find the manual as joyous as the DSG, didn't like the gearbox too much on the manual, little bit long shifting for my liking. But wow, that 1.5TSI is like a rocket!

The Kamiq is a wonderful car, like you said with the drivers position, nice commanding view out, not too many blind spots - an all-round great car for it's size. 

The only thing I forgot to add was Dual Zone climate control, but I found it a bit finicky with the fact you had to press 'Menu' and then use the touchscreen to adjust the fan speed, as opposed to turning a dial - so in some ways I was glad I didn't really add it as an option, although for the price point it should be standard, like it is on the Seat Arona, but I digress...

We're really happy with it as it is on the SE trim, offers bang-for-your-buck so to speak - just hoping it will be built on the 8th Feb! 🤞

Ordered a Kamiq 1.5 DSG Monte Carlo Thursday, on lease and I stock, just 2-3 weeks and it will be sat in the drive next to the Octavia, can’t wait !  Meteor Grey which I think will look great with the black lettering on the back.  This will be my first DSG too.

We do like the Octavia which replaced the much loved Yeti, bit of a boat though.

37 minutes ago, Northam said:

Ordered a Kamiq 1.5 DSG Monte Carlo Thursday, on lease and I stock, just 2-3 weeks and it will be sat in the drive next to the Octavia, can’t wait !  Meteor Grey which I think will look great with the black lettering on the back.  This will be my first DSG too.

We do like the Octavia which replaced the much loved Yeti, bit of a boat though.

These 1.0TSI's must of been a very popular choice, cause I have noticed people have received their 1.5's a lot quicker than those who have ordered the 1.0ltr variant.

Not bad engines the 1.0.  However we did have a turbo go which was replaced under warranty.  That though is a a sad tale where the local dealers had to have it back twice as after being repaired it was leaking oil.  Then they failed to top the oil up to the correct level !  I’d say in an Octavia Estate we feel it’s a little under power.  The 1.0 is a popular engine though and well used over the V.A.G. Group.

Edited by Northam
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Northam said:

I bought a1.5 de dsg race blue and much as I like it when I picked it up I saw exactly the same car that you have ordered and it looked stunning. If I could have I would have swapped there and then and paid the extra. The only thing I would say is make sure u don’t kerb those alloys because they look fragile. Enjoy 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Northam said:

Stock photo but should look like this, stunning look and it’s only a base colour too.

843AC94B-8CE2-4234-8343-CF56A337C903.jpeg

Honestly wouldn’t consider the colour in base model but for whatever reason it looks amazing in Monte Carlo

Just now, Bill65 said:

Honestly wouldn’t consider the colour in base model but for whatever reason it looks amazing in Monte Carlo

It’s the amount of black panelling I think against that flatter grey.  There was an Evoke parked out side our house the other day in a similar colour with again loads of shiny black panels, looked nice for an Evoke.

2 minutes ago, Northam said:

It’s the amount of black panelling I think against that flatter grey.  There was an Evoke parked out side our house the other day in a similar colour with again loads of shiny black panels, looked nice for an Evoke.

Yeah think that’s it I was in a large dealership in Lanarkshire and there were 20/30 new Skodas of various models and that was the one that stood out above everything . It’s the kind of car which will punch above its weight and look good in comparison to Audi Land Rover etc

only thing I would say is I downsized from Honda CR-V to karoq and then Kamiq and struggled a bit with rear vision however you’ve got top of the range with standard cameras So won’t be a problem 

• Like 1