Becoming a new owner of the Kamiq

TheSavageKamiq

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 02/10/2020 at 03:02, TheSavageKamiq said:

Hello all!

I will be taking ownership of the Kamiq hopefully before 31st Dec 2020 (this is the estimated date I was told until it comes from the factory).

It will be the SE edition, 1.0TSI 116PS DSG 7spd with no extra options added.

Is there any information that you can give to me like any niggles, disadvantages? Tell me how your ownership has been so far? 

I will look forward to hearing from all Kamiq owners out there!

TIA.

I took delivery of a new Kamiq 1.5tsi 7 speed dsg in Dec 2020 - AWESOME!  I road tested both the 1.0L and 1.5L versions and was able to get better fuel economy out of the 1.5L.

I routinely get 4.3 to 4.5 L/100km (55 to 52 mpg) with two passengers on open road and motorway cruising and the long term average is 5.5 l/100 km (43 mpg) after xmas holiday cruising loaded up with luggage and ebikes. 

Compared with Asian sourced equivalents at the same price point (Suzuki Vitara, Hond HRV, Nissan Juke, etc) the Kamiq fuel consumption is outstanding and starting to challenge similar sized Hybrids.

The other thing we discovered in doing our research is the problem with the latest Hybrids/EVs like the Prius Prime is they have no towbar rating, not even for attaching a bike rack! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gerrycan said:

Hi @FyllCee awesome consumption but you converted to the smaller US gallon. 

5.6L/100 equals 50 mpg (imperial) for the UK.

ha ha right .. math is not my strong suite! .. ..  so 4.3 to 4.5 L/100 km is 66 to 63 mpg. Even more remarkable.....

Update:

Some good news at last! My Kamiq is at the Port of Emden of Exit.

Question is how long does it take to get the UK? The member of staff at Skoda UK Customer Service said it could take up to 10 working days - I thought this was bit too good to be true!

TIA.

6 hours ago, TheSavageKamiq said:

Update:

Question is how long does it take to get the UK? The member of staff at Skoda UK Customer Service said it could take up to 10 working days - I thought this was bit too good to be true!

TIA.

It depends on any backlog at Emden. Mine was there considerably longer than that which the dealer put down to COVID restrictions in France pushing port traffic to other ports. 

On 23/02/2021 at 01:00, TheSavageKamiq said:

Update:

TIA.

Normally 2 weeks 

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up our brand new Kamiq yesterday, noticed there was an main user account setup on the infotainment system named 'SKODA SKODA', would it be wise to remove this account and create my own or leave it and make another? Just wondering if I was to delete the main account if it messed up any connected services? Also it was set with 'Share my location' as well which I thought was a bit creepy :worried:

TIA.

4 hours ago, TheSavageKamiq said:

Picked up our brand new Kamiq yesterday, noticed there was an main user account setup on the infotainment system named 'SKODA SKODA', would it be wise to remove this account and create my own or leave it and make another? Just wondering if I was to delete the main account if it messed up any connected services? Also it was set with 'Share my location' as well which I thought was a bit creepy :worried:

TIA.

Have you registered at skoda-connect.com if you ha ve delete skoda skoda account and put yours you  can delete main user and set it again. Set share my location to full as skoda will know where you are if you Breakdown or you can find your car if it gets nicked or find it in a car park 

Edited by skoda1982

• 1 month later...
On 11/10/2020 at 15:38, Bill65 said:

I got my Kamiq 1.5 SEL DSG about a month ago trading in my Karoq. I was a bit worried about the lower driving position however it's fine and the steering is a bit lighter which suits me. Rear legroom is ok and boot space just about adequate.

Auto gearbox also very good. The only slight niggles I have are regarding the updated dashboard and controls from the Karoq which I've not really come to terms with (I'm a technophobe) especially the fan for the climate control which is adjustable on the navigation screen and I don't find it user friendly.

'...........................the fan for the climate control which is adjustable on the navigation screen and I don't find it user friendly.'

Got my Kamiq in February. 

In 2020 I looked at many youtube reviews before making final choice. In one of them Matt Watson (Carbuyer) commented on this very point.

Like him and you I cannot begin to understand the logic. The car we had at that point was a 2018 Audi A3 which had a climate control console which looked very similar to that in the Kamiq; but unlike the Kamiq it had a fan speed knob mounted in the centre between the temp knobs. So, why not in the Kamiq. Weird decision.

Turning a knob to vary the fan speed is totally intuitive.  In your words 'user friendly'.  Tapping a screen less so. 

Edited by fabill

• 1 month later...

How you manage to achieve 4.3 to 4.5 l/100 km is beyond me :)
Could be the quality of the fuel or the fact that I am covering very short distances (4-5 km), but I cannot go below 7.3 (usually around 9) in the city and 5.1 on the highway.
I believe to be pretty light on the gas pedal :) 

My 1.5 tsi manual has done 2,400 miles almost exclusively on slow (20-30 mph limits) central suburban roads. Stop-start motoring for journeys of 16 miles or so at 16 mph for a 40 mpg average. I'm looking forward to being able to open up a bit on a motorway.

19 hours ago, Darko-Mk said:

How you manage to achieve 4.3 to 4.5 l/100 km is beyond me :)
Could be the quality of the fuel or the fact that I am covering very short distances (4-5 km), but I cannot go below 7.3 (usually around 9) in the city and 5.1 on the highway.
I believe to be pretty light on the gas pedal :) 

Things I find that make a big difference in fuel economy include not letting it idle for any length of time when starting out i.e don't let it idle while closing garage or gate, etc, always using D mode and never S, avoiding the use of cruise control that tends to go up hills faster than when driving without CC, turning off the aircon while stationary at traffic lights, etc (prevents the auto stop/start working), keeping the boot empty of the junk that can accumulate there!, never accelerating too hard (unless I really have to) and really really trying to keep it in 2 cylinder mode without losing speed.  

And yes I can only achieve 4.5 on a trip of greater than 20km -  which most off mine are.  

It's so great to fill it up with gas and see 950 km before the next refill!  Happy Kamiq-ing . . .  #:-{)

• Confused 1

Location, location,location.

Ambient temperature and cars requested interior temp makes the difference.

I turn on A/C in cars if i want to stop Stop / Start working if the A/C is handier to reach than the Stop / Start button.

Mine seems to be best around 42-44 mph, that consistently gives around 52 mpg, with easing off the accelerator and just applying to keep up speed.  This is generally on an A road with mostly 40 mph limits, it goes to 60 for a stretch and down to 30 too.  The 60 stretch you rarely get up to that due to traffic.

I think that 90% of the low consumption that you all have is that you drive longer stretches at a time, without so much stop-start traffic.
My monthly mileage (is it the same word for km? :D ) is around 500-600 km, so I can live with 9-10 l/ 100km fuel consumption.

On 08/10/2020 at 15:15, e-Roottoot said:

I understand fully.

But then you drop to S and you are down at least one gear, maybe 2 and you are still in Auto but in S.   If you need a lower gear you need to go to D then knock across to M.

Exactly as meant to, great on back roads, point and shoot, decelerate off the accelerator.

It is a Semi Automatic hence the S-A.   Knowing across to M has you in the same gear, then you can drop as you might want or need, 7 to 6 to 5.

Personally i never do the upshifts in 'M'  i knock back to D for that and the gear shifts are not having it revving high in the gears.

That is the beauty of the DQ200 DSG and revvy engines, you use the box as it suits you best and according to which engine it is fitted to.

I think Lazy Fireball describes the gearshifting you describe (this may have been a Vauxhall description)

It is a Fabia MK2 vRS with DQ200 description from me as that was what I drove in the main over 6 years and occasionally since.  Along with various other cars with 7 speed twin dry clutch DSG,s.   PS e+Corsa,s do not change gear.  You just select D and floor the accelerator and the same power is there to make the car go forward from any speed with no dropping of gears. You can select increased regen to reduce speed without using the brakes.  Mine are very rusty. 

Edited by e-Roottoot

On 20/05/2021 at 18:46, FyllCee said:

Things I find that make a big difference in fuel economy include not letting it idle for any length of time when starting out i.e don't let it idle while closing garage or gate, etc, always using D mode and never S, avoiding the use of cruise control that tends to go up hills faster than when driving without CC, turning off the aircon while stationary at traffic lights, etc (prevents the auto stop/start working), keeping the boot empty of the junk that can accumulate there!, never accelerating too hard (unless I really have to) and really really trying to keep it in 2 cylinder mode without losing speed.  

And yes I can only achieve 4.5 on a trip of greater than 20km -  which most off mine are.  

It's so great to fill it up with gas and see 950 km before the next refill!  Happy Kamiq-ing . . .  #:-{)

Exactly same thing on our 1.5 Monte Carlo. Had to drive it 750kms to get it home from the dealership, over two days. Light came on at 730kms. So it made it home without refueling and that's a brand new motor not even run in. 
That wasn't on a motor way either, but a mix of town driving and open road stuff heading up to alpine where we live and driving it normally i.e. 110 kph, using Adaptive cruise and reasonably aggressive  passing other cars when necessary etc. I was pleasantly surprised. Showed 5.5L/100km on the display first day.

The headlights are nice too, good if not better than the Kodiaq's on high beam. I find the DCC sport setting better for twisty open road driving in both the suspension firmness and steering feel than normal too. A VRS Kamiq with even the 140kw 2 litre motor would be interesting alternative to a Polo GTI.

Edited by snala
  • Like 1