Inspection service

I have a 2015 2.0D Superb, prompting me for inspection service.  43K miles on the clock.  Local Skoda dealer are saying they also recommend cam belt change.  43K seems awfully early for a cam belt to me?  Are they trying it on, or is that appropriate?

Si.

• Like 1

Just now, Simkna said:

I have a 2015 2.0D Superb, prompting me for inspection service.  43K miles on the clock.  Local Skoda dealer are saying they also recommend cam belt change.  43K seems awfully early for a cam belt to me?  Are they trying it on, or is that appropriate?

Si.

Think they use 5 year intervals now rather than a specific mileage.

Yes it's definitely 5 years, irrespective of mileage.

I believe VW group revised down their cambelt interval due to early failures a few years ago.

22 hours ago, Shugmo said:

Yes it's definitely 5 years, irrespective of mileage.

I believe VW group revised down their cambelt interval due to early failures a few years ago.

I think there is still a mileage limit.  140k someone mentioned the other day.

My thoughts on the UK having a tighter time limit is that in the UK we are more likely to claim against a bust belt and claims would likely be more expensive here also (compared to south America for example).  It's easier for them to lower the service period and subsequently reduce the claim costs.  Only my views though.

2 hours ago, 310golfr said:

i think the water pump is more likely to fail than the belt

This is the thing here.  Also at 43k you are in the prime slot for the pump to fail if it's going to.  Pretty sure that age of cars was in the prime for dicky pump too.  Get both done.  Should be £350-500.

I thought it was 4 years or 40,000,  left it until this year, 5 years old.

Really disappointed that this is required at such a low age and mileage, only 20,000 on the clock,  I do long runs from Southampton to my son in Gloucester, so not many short journeys. 

After 3 years of diabolical sh-t service by Skoda Main Stealer whilst under Skoda warranty period, and having suffered body work damage and watching the technician trying to drive off with the MOT Exhaust analyser still attached to the exhaust pipe, I would never return to the them.

Luckily I have a friend I have known for over 30 years , who runs his own independent garage, he looks after all of our family cars, he carried out Cam Belt & Water Pump Kit replacement, full service, plus also had a glow plug failure, No2 cylinder,P0672, engine management light on. brake fluid change, he did all the above for £800 including VAT, using genuine Skoda / VAG parts, I should have taken it to him from day one, as he said,  but always nervous when under Skoda warranty.

My wife's Ford Focus,  which she refuses to let go, now has110,00 miles on the clock, just coming up to it second Cam Belt change, unbelievable, not sure i would buy another Skoda to be honest,.

Edited by roughrider10

12 hours ago, roughrider10 said:

I thought it was 4 years or 40,000,  left it until this year, 5 years old.

Really disappointed that this is required at such a low age and mileage, only 20,000 on the clock,  I do long runs from Southampton to my son in Gloucester, so not many short journeys. 

After 3 years of diabolical sh-t service by Skoda Main Stealer whilst under Skoda warranty period, and having suffered body work damage and watching the technician trying to drive off with the MOT Exhaust analyser still attached to the exhaust pipe, I would never return to the them.

Luckily I have a friend I have known for over 30 years , who runs his own independent garage, he looks after all of our family cars, he carried out Cam Belt & Water Pump Kit replacement, full service, plus also had a glow plug failure, No2 cylinder,P0672, engine management light on. brake fluid change, he did all the above for £800 including VAT, using genuine Skoda / VAG parts, I should have taken it to him from day one, as he said,  but always nervous when under Skoda warranty.

My wife's Ford Focus,  which she refuses to let go, now has110,00 miles on the clock, just coming up to it second Cam Belt change, unbelievable, not sure i would buy another Skoda to be honest,.

I just replaced a 10 year old Ford Galaxy. It had it's first cambelt at 10 years or 125,000 miles.

It does seem a short interval on VW/Audi but my local garage did my Galaxy for £300, so assuming the Skoda is a similar price it's just an extra £300 over 10 years. Not something that would stop me buying the car TBH.

33 minutes ago, Shugmo said:

I just replaced a 10 year old Ford Galaxy. It had it's first cambelt at 10 years or 125,000 miles.

It does seem a short interval on VW/Audi but my local garage did my Galaxy for £300, so assuming the Skoda is a similar price it's just an extra £300 over 10 years. Not something that would stop me buying the car TBH.

Wife's Focus is 16 years old, and only just coming up to second cam belt, on the assumption that we replace the Superb Cam belt every 4 years that's 4 Cambelt and Water pump changes in 16 years if you keep the car that long which I did with my last car.

As many know Skoda Cam Belt & Water Pump replacement is not cheap, for the 2.0 TDI it is £549, on a modern car I don't think this requirement every 4 years is acceptable, and that makes you ask questions about the durability and quality of the VAG based engines.

A full service every 2 years, cost £289, so every 4th service will cost you a minimum of £838, that's without brake fluid change of £60, then there is the DSG oil change as well at some point, £199, really makes you think hard about your next choice of car, something I never really took into consideration  when I purchased the Superb.

Capture 4.JPG

Edited by roughrider10

For £549 is it a cam belt and water pump belt, or cam belt and replacement water pump?

When booking in for next week, I said don't bother with the water pump bit for an extra £100 (thinking that's a lot for a water pump belt), but if the pumps are known to be a weakness, and the extra £100 covers pump replacement it might be worth it...

Si.

19 minutes ago, Simkna said:

For £549 is it a cam belt and water pump belt, or cam belt and replacement water pump?

When booking in for next week, I said don't bother with the water pump bit for an extra £100 (thinking that's a lot for a water pump belt), but if the pumps are known to be a weakness, and the extra £100 covers pump replacement it might be worth it...

Si.

£549 is for the Cambelt & Water Pump, including a new cam belt tensioner, the water pump is a know long term issue, get both done at the same time, if the water pump fails your being doing the Cam belt again, never change just the Cam Belt, get them both done now.

The Cambelt drives the Water Pump, the Water Pump has an electro magnetic clutch which energises to drives the pump once the engine is up to temperature., hence to cost of £100.

Edited by roughrider10
  • Like 1

The ford would have cost similar at a main stealer, that's why I use independent garages.

A service is a service as far as I'm concerned, as long as manufacturers parts are used.