Going too see and drive my first ever Octavia VRS 245 - need some help please

Hi all!

I’m due to go and see a 2017 Skoda Octavia VRS 245 on Saturday morning. I’ve seen and driven a fair few other cars over the last couple of months: Golf GTi (loved it, but way too small in the back for the kids), Seat Leon Cupra 300 ST (great car, but well over priced IMO), Seat Leon FR sport (good car with surprising rear passenger space, felt a bit cheap inside though), Ford focus ST MK3 (lovely car but interior wouldn’t look out of place in the nineties), Fiesta ST (absolute hoot to drive, but seats way too restrictive).

Out of all of the above cars, on paper the Skoda Octavia looks the best value for money and it’s genuinely the car I keep coming back too. It’s the only one that I’ve actually been really excited about seeing as well!

I’ll hopefully be moving on from my mk5 golf too the Octavia hatch.

Just a couple of concerns that I have and was hoping someone may be able to put my mind at ease/share their experiences.

The Octavia will be the biggest car I have ever driven. Now it may sound like a stupid question, but a lot of the things I have read said that they don’t handle like you would expect a big car too. That it’s actually quite agile through corners, etc. The majority of my journey is through twisty country lanes (although there is plenty of room most of the way for 2 cars). Obviously it’s very easy to get my current golf up and down these lanes without any drama. I’m hoping it will be a similar story with the Octavia?

The second concern I have is the long term reliability of the Octavia? My golf (touch wood) has been faultless for the last 6 years. It’s an 08 plate with the 1.4 tsi engine. I’ve read of a few issues with the Octavia, but I guess it’s like any car and users experience that you will find good and bad examples. I just don’t want to end up with a money pit if I can help it.

Thanks in advance!

I was discussing buying used with a colleague at lunch and it's a minefield when you start digging into the weeds of mileage vs age.  One thing we both agreed on was making sure it has been serviced correctly and avoid anything that could have been driven hard for a prolonged period (read rep mobile for 3 years).  The other option would be get a deal and take it to a trusted garage for a good once over: air/oil/fuel/pollen filters.  Check shocks, spring seats and bushes.  Maybe even do dsg/haldex oil if relevant.  Also take it to a pro car cleaner for a good in/out clean and a good coating of whatever is the latest paint protection.

That's my plan anyway for when I change cars in the next 6 months.

Generic stuff aside, I think it's a good consensus that the Octavia is a reliable car in whatever trim you go for.  It's likely to be as good as the golf mechanically and maybe better than the seat internally.  Just double triple check all the service history and match it up with what should have been done.  If that's all good and you like the car/can afford it...…..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarkyG82 said:

I was discussing buying used with a colleague at lunch and it's a minefield when you start digging into the weeds of mileage vs age.  One thing we both agreed on was making sure it has been serviced correctly and avoid anything that could have been driven hard for a prolonged period (read rep mobile for 3 years).  The other option would be get a deal and take it to a trusted garage for a good once over: air/oil/fuel/pollen filters.  Check shocks, spring seats and bushes.  Maybe even do dsg/haldex oil if relevant.  Also take it to a pro car cleaner for a good in/out clean and a good coating of whatever is the latest paint protection.

That's my plan anyway for when I change cars in the next 6 months.

Generic stuff aside, I think it's a good consensus that the Octavia is a reliable car in whatever trim you go for.  It's likely to be as good as the golf mechanically and maybe better than the seat internally.  Just double triple check all the service history and match it up with what should have been done.  If that's all good and you like the car/can afford it...…..

I like to see full history, receipts (although GDPR kills some of this stuff now), matching tyres, I check the panel alignment etc, look for paint - even pull back seal if in doubt.  Haldex isnt part of the service schedule, if no proof its been done get it done.  I think its around 38K  mark it should be done and also have the strainer cleaned.

Yes a good clean is a winner if your not happy to do yourself although i would say discuss your requirements with the person as opposed to opting for the latest thing.  Theres so many waxes and sealants out there.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ScoutCJB said:

receipts (although GDPR kills some of this stuff now)

This is a good point to raise.

As someone who happens to work in this area (security, mainly) - if anyone at the garage raises 'GDPR / UK Data Protection Act 2018' as a reason not to show you receipts from previous owners etc, I'd advise the following:

A) ask for the clause in their privacy policy regarding this (i.e. don't let them fob you off with a made-up / half-understood "store policy" approach). Read what it says and/or ask them to explain their justification.

and

B) ask them to anonymise any documentation (e.g. scan / photocopy and black out the previous owner's address).

As a potential buyer, you have a justifiable reason ("legitimate interest") to get written assurance that the car you are looking to buy meets your requirements and expectations. If it's within the capability of the garage / seller etc to anonymise documentation, which they will have to hand somehow (unless they're utter tools), they should do so. You're not looking for who owned it; you're looking for what was done to the car, when - as per normal car history stuff (e.g. servicing intervals, modifications, repairs etc).

It's probably a minor point to raise, but I'm sick of common sense and genuine requirements from legitimate interests getting arbitrarily blocked through ignorance of data protection legislation. 

#NerdRantOver 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ive ran skoda's since 20132. Cant fault them!

On the gearbox ( cant vouch for the vrs though!) I'd try and find out if the gearbox has been serviced. 6 speed wet clutch need to be done every 40,000 miles.

2 hours ago, Stuart-h said:

Ive ran skoda's since 20132. Cant fault them!

On the gearbox ( cant vouch for the vrs though!) I'd try and find out if the gearbox has been serviced. 6 speed wet clutch need to be done every 40,000 miles.

Think all Vrs245 have a 7 speed DSG which needs attention at 80,000 miles.

1 minute ago, shyVRS245 said:

I was correcting Stuart-h about the Vrs245 not have a 6 speed DSG. Yes I know the 245 came with a manual as I bought one new in August 2017 and the clutch survived intact for 29,000 miles.

Ah ok. So not all then. Mine has the 7 speed manual. 

6 forward and 1 reverse :)

Just now, shyVRS245 said:

My current DSG has 12 gears, including Eco, Sport, Individual, Normal, 7 forward and 1 reverse.:)

No winter option? If you had a high / low range like the off roaders you'd actually get lost in the gearbox. I never thought I'd need it but the little visual display of what gear your driving in does come in handy even with a manual. 

2 minutes ago, VRS_White_Hatch said:

No winter option? If you had a high / low range like the off roaders you'd actually get lost in the gearbox. I never thought I'd need it but the little visual display of what gear your driving in does come in handy even with a manual. 

You forgot Comfort for DCC equipped cars. No only those that have the ground clearance to venture off road have the Snow option. Would use the wife's front wheel drive in snow rather than take the Superb which being 15mm lower than a standard Superb the Sportline would act like a snow plough. But in 2 hours will trade it in for something much slower but with 15mm extra ground clearance.

12 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

I was correcting Stuart-h about the Vrs245 not have a 6 speed DSG. Yes I know the 245 came with a manual as I bought one new in August 2017 and the clutch survived intact for 29,000 miles.

i stand corrected!

• Like 1

Back to the OP, the Octavia isn't a huge car I would say, doesn't really feel 'big' as such although does have a lot of room for it's class.

Compared to something like an insignia it feels tiny.  

That said, it's not going to be as nimble as a focus ST or maybe the golf due to the sightly larger dimensions.

It could do with a bit better handling but only when really pushed I'd say.

The boot is huge Inc the hatch.

The rear seats have got decent leg room, however the car isn't as wide as you may think so 3 adults will still be a little snug and think again if you want 3 child seats side by side.

IMO the interior is fine.  But I'm not fussy with that kind of thing. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I went ahead and purchased it! Picking up next Saturday. Skoda Octavia vrs 245 2017 dsg meteor grey.

It looked immaculate and really clean inside. All the extras like power adjustable seats, heated seats, all the black bits or the exterior are what did it for me.

Now just need to sell on my Golf as they offered me £500 less than every other dealer. But wasn't a deal breaker as my Golf is only worth about £1,500, so will whack it on the local Facebook selling groups and autotrader.

I'll fire up some pictures on the new members section once I pick it up.

#teamprimer

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, andyknoxville said:

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I went ahead and purchased it! Picking up next Saturday. Skoda Octavia vrs 245 2017 dsg meteor grey.

It looked immaculate and really clean inside. All the extras like power adjustable seats, heated seats, all the black bits or the exterior are what did it for me.

Now just need to sell on my Golf as they offered me £500 less than every other dealer. But wasn't a deal breaker as my Golf is only worth about £1,500, so will whack it on the local Facebook selling groups and autotrader.

I'll fire up some pictures on the new members section once I pick it up.

#teamprimer

Congratulations Andy, just make sure you get the Vaq Diff serviced, should be done at 3 years old. Brake fluid should have been done at its 3rd birthday as well

I picked up my 2017 VRS 245 DSG a week ago and as per the above, I checked to make sure service history was all in order as you would with just about any car. Touch wood it's been fantastic so far. Hope you enjoy yours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1