Amundsen 2016 - Gets stuck and become non responsive

sneznymuz

So this weekend we went for a day trip with our Yeti and used the Navigation. 

All of a sudden mid trip, the display got stuck in a cycle where the screen started zooming in and out and the display became nonresponsive.
So the navigation became useless.

Have anyone else experienced this? 

At the moment I didn't know how to deal with other then to restart the car. Now after have read thru the manual, I found

that you can restart the unit by pushing the power-button for longer than 10 seconds. (Good to know if it happens again).

After restarting the car the system seems to work like normal again. Don't know if this was some temporary bug or if there is some 

actual issue with the unit. Have read some other threads where people have exchanged the display, updated the firmware etc. All of 

these options has to be done at a service station as I understand as firmwares are not available for consumers or is there anyone 

that knows where a normal user can get a hold of the latest firmware and how to upgrade it?

I have had this (Amundsen 2 Infotainment System). Vehicle purchased new in April 2016 with extended 5 year warranty.

Zooming in and out on satnav screen, screen unresponsive, PLUS (on SD Card) bouncing between tracks and albums and the DAB radio bouncing between preset stations.

Two visits to supplying main dealer. After first 4 hours investigation (17 September) first checks showed a failed ability to focus on the identified available satellites.  Following diagnosis via a TIS (technical information sheet) from Skoda UK to the dealership, it was concluded to be a faulty signal focusser/translator(?) aerial at the rear of the unit. Subsequently (1 October) this was replaced but after a couple of hours, the dealership concluded that this had not resolved the problems.  

Dealership agreed a complete replacement Amundsen2 unit to be supplied and fitted under warranty (placed on backorder 7 October) and appointment booked for 22 October.

1 hour ago, Bexhillian said:

I have had this (Amundsen 2 Infotainment System). Vehicle purchased new in April 2016 with extended 5 year warranty.

Zooming in and out on satnav screen, screen unresponsive, PLUS (on SD Card) bouncing between tracks and albums and the DAB radio bouncing between preset stations.

Two visits to supplying main dealer. After first 4 hours investigation (17 September) first checks showed a failed ability to focus on the identified available satellites.  Following diagnosis via a TIS (technical information sheet) from Skoda UK to the dealership, it was concluded to be a faulty signal focusser/translator(?) aerial at the rear of the unit. Subsequently (1 October) this was replaced but after a couple of hours, the dealership concluded that this had not resolved the problems.  

Dealership agreed a complete replacement Amundsen2 unit to be supplied and fitted under warranty (placed on backorder 7 October) and appointment booked for 22 October.

So this was a continuous issue after the first incident with it? Or did it happen now and then?

Because I haven't been able to reproduce this issue since the weekend.

On 19/10/2020 at 19:06, Bexhillian said:

Continuous for me but hopefully only temporary indigestion for your system and it is now (somehow, best known to itself) back to normal.

For me it seems to have been temporary.  Don't know if I imagine but sometimes it seems like the screen is a bit slow (might be the cold)

• 10 months later...

Hi Everyone.   Just had similar problems with my Yeti 2015 Amundsen 2.  Initially started with not being able to input some post codes then the map jumping around.  Skoda dealers useless, just want to charge silly money to possibly diagnose which seems to be a known fault.  Searched locally for an 'Infotainment Expert' to no avail.

Finally found a company called SATNAV  SYSTEMS (UK) Ltd.   At last someone who knew what they were talking about.   Hamid diagnosed the problem in a couple of minutes as screen digitiser failure, a known problem to them with 2015/2016 Amundsen 2 units, They even keep the parts in stock.  Fixed in an hour but with a bill of £718.  Ouch!

A way to test for this is to put the screen 'beep' setting on and touch different parts of the screen.  Some parts will not beep.  Apparently it starts with just a few areas then spreads as mine did and then takes over the screen.  They call it 'Ghost Finger'. 

THIS SHOULD BE SUBJECT TO A RECALL.  I will be contacting Skoda UK but I feel I will get the normal dealer type response of 'Never heard of this failure' or something similar.

59 minutes ago, PilotPete said:

Hamid diagnosed the problem in a couple of minutes as screen digitiser failure, a known problem to them with 2015/2016 Amundsen 2 units, They even keep the parts in stock.  Fixed in an hour but with a bill of £718.  Ouch!

Something wrong there, someone posted earlier that a digitiser was less than £30, nearly £700 for an hours labour seems more like robbery than steep.

Yes, I agree to a certain extent.  I think the £30 ones are for the older systems. Best I can find at the moment is about £400. The Yeti owners club forum has a post on this with some part numbers. I could probably have done it myself. However, if I had messed it up it’s massively expensive to rectify!

• 4 months later...
On 25/08/2021 at 08:43, Rustynuts said:

Complete new (brand new) screens are £250 or so last time I checked. Takes less than a half hour to replace. 

2016, Yeti Outdoor 4x4, K&L,

Hi RustyNuts, Got similar problem, infotainment screen - specific area inactive, other areas ok , where can I buy a new screen or get it repaired?

Cheers DenisWilloughby based in London.

• 1 year later...
On 25/08/2021 at 08:43, Rustynuts said:

Complete new (brand new) screens are £250 or so last time I checked. Takes less than a half hour to replace. 

I had a new screen fitted which solved the issue for around 8 weeks.

It then started doing the same thing.

The guy who supplied/fitted the new screen didn’t want to know so I had the unit repaired by Satnav Systems who explained it’s not just a replacement screen and offered a comprehensive 12 month warranty.

So far so good and I’m hoping it’s a permanent fix but only time will tell

Looking in ebay as you do for an alternative for my Amundsen Mib 2 and found this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384454830977?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=SlmY02NmQbK&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

this of course led to how to fit and I came across this on youtube 

Any thoughts on this or actually done it. For £25 or so it might be worth a try