My initial views on Fitting Powerflex red dogbone mount insert

Today I fitted the mount insert. I went for the red one. Usually it's red for diesels and I have a petrol engine, but I wanted as little vibration as possible and the red is a softer one. There is of course a bit of vibration on tickover which is slightly annoying, but I hope it settles down a bit over time. In reverse as expected, again a bit of vibration, but no worse than on tickover and how often do you drive in reverse anyway! The car also had a sound on start up, which was a lower tone than usual. I took it for a good drive up the road, giving it hard acceleration, holding it at 50mph in 6th gear, even holding it in top gear at 30mph. I found once the car got moving there was no real difference to how it was before the insert was fitted.  Will have to try to find an uneven road surface to try to create those bangs underneath the car I had before. Maybe now those bangs are a thing of the past.  I will update this thread once I get a few miles on the clock, which of course might be a while with the bare few miles I am doing at the moment due to this bloomin virus. 

• Like 2

I'll be watching this as I may do the same at some point. I don't often get the wheel hop issue but it's terrible when it does happen. 

I see your VRS is mapped, are you on the original clutch? Again, something I'm interested in doing. 

1 hour ago, phil7 said:

I'll be watching this as I may do the same at some point. I don't often get the wheel hop issue but it's terrible when it does happen. 

I see your VRS is mapped, are you on the original clutch? Again, something I'm interested in doing. 

Yes still the original clutch with it so far managing the extra power no problem. Mind you, I am not one for flat out standing starts and use the higher revs when I want good acceleration, rather than use too much torque in the lower revs. 

I've had the yellow one in at first then swapped it out for the red one. It is slightly better for sure.

Won't eliminate wheel hop but does reduce it and the horrible banging noise when booting it. Tyre choice will have a big impact too.

2 hours ago, DC04R said:

I've had the yellow one in at first then swapped it out for the red one. It is slightly better for sure.

Won't eliminate wheel hop but does reduce it and the horrible banging noise when booting it. Tyre choice will have a big impact too.

Got the good tyres already. Michelin PS4S in 235/35/19. Slightly wider than the standard 225/35/19 to get more rubber to the ground, as well as trying to protect the alloys from pothole damage. 

• Like 1

It sounds as if the red insert was the better colour to have chosen. As you know, it's the softest.

The idle noise was what annoyed me the most, but it's good you're not seeing that.

I'm keen to see how you find it.

On 30/11/2020 at 12:37, roaddetective said:

I found once the car got moving there was no real difference to how it was before the insert was fitted.

Really good to hear 👍 like I said, after a while you get used to it (although mine has more NVH as standard due to the setup).

Have you felt any benefits in terms of slicker-feeling gear changes? That was one of the first things I noticed, as well as holding the car in a lower gear whilst accelerating feels like it's 'taught'. I am sure it will have pretty much eliminated all wheel-hop too.

3 hours ago, Ads230 said:

Really good to hear 👍 like I said, after a while you get used to it (although mine has more NVH as standard due to the setup).

Have you felt any benefits in terms of slicker-feeling gear changes? That was one of the first things I noticed, as well as holding the car in a lower gear whilst accelerating feels like it's 'taught'. I am sure it will have pretty much eliminated all wheel-hop too.

I am sure now after doing around 300 miles it has settled a little with a bit less vibration on tickover. Unless of course it's just that I have got used to it, but I am sure it's better. There is a cut ridge in the road local to me just as you accelerate off a roundabout. Previously it tended to cause that bang if you were on the power at the time you hit the cut in the road. You did not have to accelerate hard either to cause it. The other day I drove up to that roundabout and did the same thing, accelerate off it to the cut in the road, although again nowhere near flat out. This time no bang underneath, so there is some improvement now after the insert has been fitted. Must push it a bit harder next time to see if the banging has been fully cured. Mind you, I am more than happy with the results so far. 

As for slicker-feeling gear changes, no change there. Could that be as my car has only done 21k miles, everything is still fairly new and still tight anyway? 

• 2 years later...

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but wondered if any of you who have fitted the red one to your petrol VRS would say the vibrations get any better after adding some miles to the clock? Wanting to get rid of / reduce the wheel hop with as little added vibration as possible 😀 (I'm fine with it, the Mrs won't be so much)

Had one fitted recently on a 1.8TSI (2016) (same reason, to get rid of the wheel hop and chose the red one for as little as possible added NVH). Vibrations (+ harshness and some noise) have been a real nightmare from day 1 and things did not improve (not even a little bit) in one month and about 2.000 km. With a/c or windscreen heating on it was literally unbearable. Took it off and the car feels like a Bentley now... 🤣 

Ah damn, I was hoping that wasn't gonna be the case 😂.  I know there is very little in the way of sound deadening in Skodas which won't help, and used to have solid mounts in my old 306 gti-6 but even that wasn't too bad in comparison to some of the threads I've read on here.

I'm hoping some other members respond with "it's not too bad" or similar  before I order 🤣 thanks for the reply though mate 

Having re-read every post regarding mounts again it seems the power flex ones seem to create the most vibrations, does anyone know if this is the correct one for the VRS that others have fitted:

https://www.awesomegti.com/034motorsport/034motorsport-billet-aluminium-mqb-dogbone-mount-insert/?sku=340174&cmp_id=1624059255&adg_id=61207848185&kwd=&device=m&gclid=CjwKCAjw04yjBhApEiwAJcvNoaRL4hemqkdd03OdhOHAEiYE_tpt0g3Mz5RTGnBls-mQur_2oiwvSRoCddQQAvD_BwE