How To Stop Our car being stollen throught OBD2 port ?

KodiaqLKFun

Hello Every one,

I just ordred my Skoda Kodiaq L&K, and i'am already worried about the security of my future car.

so all in the title how to prevent  Our car being stollen throught OBD2 port ?

What's your solution ?

• Like 1

Welcome.

You have chosen well, they are not really wanting a Skoda, even a L&K Kodiaq.

Then, 

leave nothing of value in it, insure it and do not fit a tracker.

If they want it they will take it and really you do not want it back.

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, e-Roottoot said:

Welcome.

You have chosen well, they are not really wanting a Skoda, even a L&K Kodiaq.

Then, 

leave nothing of value in it, insure it and do not fit a tracker.

If they want it they will take it and really you do not want it back.

Thief don't want car branded skoda ? and why i should not fit a tracker in it ? i'm confused sorry but it's hight price car and it's normal to try to secure it.

I am just being smart or maybe not.

High value cars come from manufacturers and they are the ones building in the security that is meant to stop them being stolen.

They are doing a poor job in many cases even with the most expensive and desirable to thieves.

Get a Lock for the OBD port, but a thief that knows their job will know how to get the car, and maybe they are coming in your house for the keys.

Maybe fit a big yellow steering wheel locking device, or a wheel clamp.

But then the myth is that they never bother breaking into homes with a Skoda in the drive.

Edited by e-Roottoot

2 hours ago, KodiaqLKFun said:

Thief don't want car branded skoda ? and why i should not fit a tracker in it ? i'm confused sorry but it's hight price car and it's normal to try to secure it.

There is no market for a professional thief to sell a stolen Skoda, they focus on "premium" brands and often steal to order.

Have you managed to get data from ANY of the tracker type companies on how many cars are NOT recovered? No, because they refuse to publish it since their return rate is not significantly better than cars not fitted with a tracker type device, which IMHO makes them a waste of money.

The car immediately before my Octavia was an Audi RS4 Avant which I owned for 10 years from new WITHOUT a Tracker - your Kodiaq (while a very nice car) is not in the "radar" of professional thieves to anything like the same extent as that RS4.

• Like 2

Do you even know that the immobiliser can be overcome via the OBDII port?

Do they even have steering locks these days?

Even the dodgiest geezers on Ebay that can clone keys need the original key with transponder in the ignition in order to clone it via the OBDII port, if they have that then they will simply be driving off & not faffing around programming, they can do that later.

Pretty much all car theft since the mid 90's when RFID immobiliser keys were introduced has involved the theft of the keys or spare key or the collusion of the owner, the crime rates should by rights have dropped massively but the last category has always been a high percentage & the thieves simply started breaking into houses & stealing keys or pinching cars off the drive at this time of year where owners leave them idling to warm up & then deny it, the figures always shoot up in the winter.

Nowadays there is also the capture & retransmission of the keyless entry signals but thats nothing to do with stealing a car via the OBDII port.

So back to my original question, is it even a possibility on current new model Skodas?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Do you even know that the immobiliser can be overcome via the OBDII port?

Do they even have steering locks these days?

Even the dodgiest geezers on Ebay that can clone keys need the original key with transponder in the ignition in order to clone it via the OBDII port, if they have that then they will simply be driving off & not faffing around programming, they can do that later.

Pretty much all car theft since the mid 90's when RFID immobiliser keys were introduced has involved the theft of the keys or spare key or the collusion of the owner, the crime rates should by rights have dropped massively but the last category has always been a high percentage & the thieves simply started breaking into houses & stealing keys or pinching cars off the drive at this time of year where owners leave them idling to warm up & then deny it, the figures always shoot up in the winter.

Nowadays there is also the capture & retransmission of the keyless entry signals but thats nothing to do with stealing a car via the OBDII port.

So back to my original question, is it even a possibility on current new model Skodas?

For the Relay Attack i  have already the solution in the Housse or outside a Faraday Box, or RFID Signal Blocking Box or RFID blocking pocket we can easly get it from amazon can do the job.

At home i have a secured  car box at the basement of the building.

My concern is when we leave the car outside at any area.

My Youtube Shearch and around the internet is to use :

1/  JADAUTO, a tools to mix the entire originals wires and mix them and plug an adapter to fit the new wire combination. and surround the entire plug with a heatshrink hard to slice. for around 200 box

2/ but we can make our own adapter and do it ourselves for 20box.

3/ Nothing ^^

i will be happy if my future cars is not targeted by Thiefs that's cool ;)

8 minutes ago, UndertheRadar said:

I just assumed the OP wanted to secure the car to a higher standard than factory for peace of mind. No harm in that as far as I can see. 
the ghost secures it very well, even prevents keyless entry issues at night when your asleep. 

It seems a good solution is there any similar solution in my Country " France" do you know it  Auto watch ghost is available here? that coould be the solution a PIN code using your entire dashboard clever idea :)

16 minutes ago, KodiaqLKFun said:

It seems a good solution is there any similar solution in my Country " France" do you know it  Auto watch ghost is available here? that coould be the solution a PIN code using your entire dashboard clever idea :)

I’m not sure. You would need to check their site and see if anyone in your area fits it. 
it does work really well. I’ve seen it in use when fitted to more vulnerable vehicles, such as Focus RS, Range Rover’s etc, that are more common to being taken using the RFID technique. 

My new Toyota with keyless entry has a simple solution to the 'relay' problem, you can disable the RFID function on the keys simply by pressing the two buttons on the keys in the correct order - no need for a Faraday box/wallet.

Don't know if VAG/Skoda have a similar feature?

Edited by PetrolDave
  • Like 1

On 03/12/2020 at 09:27, PetrolDave said:

My new Toyota with keyless entry has a simple solution to the 'relay' problem, you can disable the RFID function on the keys simply by pressing the two buttons on the keys in the correct order - no need for a Faraday box/wallet.

Don't know if VAG/Skoda have a similar feature?

They do, on the Kodiaq if you press the lock button on the remote, then press the KESSY lock indent on the door handle the indicators flash confirming KESSY is disabled. You need to use the key fob to unlock.

• Like 3

Pay your insurance and move to a nice area.

If some scrote wants your car they're going to get it.

Not so long ago cars like Subaru Impretza's were very desirable for get away cars. They would break into your house to get the keys, and if they couldn't find them they'd hold a knife at your kid/wife's throat or start breaking your fingers.

In that case you're going to hand over your keys, codes everything.

Tracker won't do much for you.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Aspman said:

Not so long ago cars like Subaru Impretza's were very desirable for get away cars. They would break into your house to get the keys, and if they couldn't find them they'd hold a knife at your kid/wife's throat or start breaking your fingers.

There was a story in the local rag about a family in a nice area where they were sitting at home one evening and heard glass smash at the back, the Dad rushed to the back to see masked men breaking into the conservatory. Where you'd expect them to flee seeing the homeowner they just continued, he locked the back door between house and conservatory and started shouting, his wife and kids ran out the front and alerted neighbors and rang the police. The robbers smashed the back door and threatened him with a hammer and a knife for the keys to his Golf R. They got away with his lease car but left the family terrified. It was in a nice area. Whatever security you had you'd give it up in those circumstances. 

• Like 3

I suppose nice cars are normally in nice areas. If you're a scrote you're going to go where the stuff is you want.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Aspman said:

I leave in a secured building with Double secured access , and with Cars in Building basement also secured, i'm not talking about Home Theft, i'm not talking about targeted  stolen car, i'm talking about  when we must leave our car in unsecured area in the Supermarket Parking, or when traveling  in front of our Hotel, this kind of situation when you know that any Thief with an OBD can get in your car ant took it in 5 minute you ar afraid, i will check the solution for  "Author Alarm" the same brand "Auto watch ghost"

A simple Pin,

16 hours ago, Kenny R said:

They do, on the Kodiaq if you press the lock button on the remote, then press the KESSY lock indent on the door handle the indicators flash confirming KESSY is disabled. You need to use the key fob to unlock.

Thank you i just saw that If they want to get access they must break the window to get in, that's a + 

7 hours ago, KodiaqLKFun said:

Thank you i just saw that If they want to get access they must break the window to get in, that's a + 

Even if they do break a window, the doors are deadlocked and won’t open.

• Like 1

If you want a very good mobile deterrent then you can't beat the oldskool Disklok!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/371440068430

I'm afraid that speaking from the experience of living in a "nice" area with a high crime rate - if they want it then they'll take it. 

Edited by James@Pentagon_Seat
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, James@Pentagon_Seat said:

I'm afraid that speaking from the experience of living in a "nice" area with a high crime rate - if they want it then they'll take it. 

... and that's the best advice there is, professional thieves are always one step ahead of car manufacturers - but the real question is "are professional thieves interested in Skodas?".

I have yet to see, hear or read any evidence that Skodas are "in the radar" of professional thieves - and if they're not then surely all OP needs to be thinking about is deterring the average scrote, and AFAIK there's no evidence that the manufacturer fitted immobiliser and alarm are insufficient?

• Like 1

Older Skoda are a bit of a magnet for toe rags looking for an easy steal.

Maybe Skoda CEO & the Media department can put out a 'Press Release' or Advert saying what a success Skoda are having in increased sales and how making inroads into the prestige market and are as desirable to car thieves as other premium brand.

If they are actually a target for thieves who are going to export them or break them for parts.

5 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

Maybe Skoda CEO & the Media department can put out a 'Press Release' or Advert saying what a success Skoda are having in increased sales and how making inroads into the prestige market and are as desirable to car thieves as other premium brand.

If they are actually a target for thieves who are going to export them or break them for parts.

My brother had many nice company car's before he retired last year but only had one stolen without keys taken from his house which was a Vauxhall Cavalier GSi used for ram raiding local shops for booze and fags.

29 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

True, but since OP is talking about a new 2021 model Kodiaq L&K not something that need concern him B)