Automatic Newbie Question

So I've driven many Automatics but never owned one or had one in my possession long enough to get deeply involved with the Park setting in the gearbox.

Besides parking on a steep slope, should I ever need to use the handbrake again?

At 41 years old I know I should know this :)

Not sure if this is still dependent on manual vs. e-handbrakes (and the differences between them) - but in my experience, good practice continues to be to steer into / away from the kerb for pointing downhill / uphill respectively. And leave in-gear (opposite direction of travel) in a manual car.

Just in case the handbrake decides to fail, as has was more common in the early (2014-16) MkIII Octavias.

I know to many this is 'teaching to suck eggs', but the amount of times I've had to explain it to different people it's always worth adding - just in case it helps someone.

Small 'muscle-memory' type thing to do, but can mitigate biiiig headaches down the line :) 

Edited by Ads230

It's a habit that the US have got into and IMO not a good habit. As can be seen by the replies, it's good to always use the 'hand' brake when the car is parked. 

There are other situations when using or not is advised.

When stationary at lights/junction is an interesting one. I have taken to holding on the foot brake. If someone decides the back of your car deserves a remodel you can either pull away to avoid getting hot or at least take your foot off the brake to allow the car to roll on to absorb some of the impact.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I know a few automatic gearbox drivers that do not use the handbrake. Probably OK on the flat, but any incline I would apply the handbrake. Also I have always turned the wheels towards the kerb when parking on a hill, whether a manual or auto gearbox. Just a habit.

• Like 1

You can lock the gearbox in park if there is too much pressure on the pin and forcing it to release can damage the cable. So use the handrake to hold *before* putting it in park.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, NikTheGeek said:

You can lock the gearbox in park if there is too much pressure on the pin and forcing it to release can damage the cable. So use the handrake to hold *before* putting it in park.

Shouldn't be an issue as long as the footbrake is applied and the car stationary. Either Park and Handbrake or Handbrake and Park.

• Like 1

On 08/12/2020 at 21:26, MarkyG82 said:

It's a habit that the US have got into and IMO not a good habit. As can be seen by the replies, it's good to always use the 'hand' brake when the car is parked. 

There are other situations when using or not is advised.

When stationary at lights/junction is an interesting one. I have taken to holding on the foot brake. If someone decides the back of your car deserves a remodel you can either pull away to avoid getting hot or at least take your foot off the brake to allow the car to roll on to absorb some of the impact.

Also When I taught my daughter to drive, I advised that when pulling up at a junction, never have the front wheels turned and pointing at the junction, always leave them straight ahead until ready to turn, Why?, because if you are hit from behind you don't get pushed in to the path of oncoming traffic.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FrankNicklin said:

Shouldn't be an issue as long as the footbrake is applied and the car stationary. Either Park and Handbrake or Handbrake and Park.

The problem is the car moves after taking your foot off the brake. This is when the pressure is applied.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FrankNicklin said:

Also When I taught my daughter to drive, I advised that when pulling up at a junction, never have the front wheels turned and pointing at the junction, always leave them straight ahead until ready to turn, Why?, because if you are hit from behind you don't get pushed in to the path of oncoming traffic.

I was going to add this too but thought there was enough in the thread.

Witnessed it years ago when I saw someone get shunted in a right turn lane turning a 2 car bump into a 4 car smash.

Was early in my driving "career" with my dad in the car. Had a good discussion about it after as a learning point.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, MarkyG82 said:

The problem is the car moves after taking your foot off the brake. This is when the pressure is applied.

No you keep your foot on the brake until park is selected and the handbrake applied. You should never take your foot off the brake until the car is safe, this is bad practice.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FrankNicklin said:

No you keep your foot on the brake until park is selected and the handbrake applied. You should never take your foot off the brake until the car is safe, this is bad practice.

My practice (especially on a hill). Keep foot on brake pedal, into position N , handbrake on, foot off brake pedal, the car will settle on the handbrake, then into position P. No strain on the gearbox at all.

• Like 3

If I'm just parked at home or work where it's flat and on private land then I just use P as it stops the buildup of the rust and markings in the rear discs (they tend to squeak the first couple of times otherwise).

Anywhere else I use the handbrake too.

I think it's also required to do so.

• Like 1

On 08/12/2020 at 16:56, Ads230 said:

And leave in-gear (opposite direction of travel) in a manual car.

Does it make any difference which direction of gear is engaged? If so, why?

On 12/12/2020 at 22:30, Rodge said:

Does it make any difference which direction of gear is engaged? If so, why?

With manual gearboxes, Yes. If facing downhill, put the car in reverse. If facing uphill put the car in first, just a habit I got in to as a manual car driver. With either manual or auto I would turn the front wheels in to the curb when parked on a hill.

• Like 2

On 11/12/2020 at 13:40, Phil-E said:

If I'm just parked at home or work where it's flat and on private land then I just use P as it stops the buildup of the rust and markings in the rear discs (they tend to squeak the first couple of times otherwise).

Anywhere else I use the handbrake too.

I think it's also required to do so.

It is required. There is an offence of 'quitting'  - it is an offence to leave a car unattended unless the engine is stopped and the handbrake is effectively set....  (only applies on a  road or public place, not whilst you are on your driveway obviously)

• Like 1

On 12/12/2020 at 22:30, Rodge said:

If so, why?

Leaving in a gear opposite to direction of travel increases the resistance within the gearbox and means that the engine should stop the wheels turning (i.e. preventing it from rolling down a hill).

If you are pointing downhill and leave it in 1st, if the handbrake fails (and the car is not steered into the kerb), the car will roll down the hill at a rate which 1st gear will allow it - i.e. slow. If left in 2nd, would go faster due to less resistance, 3rd etc etc.

It's one of those #ManualCarTraits that you either follow religiously, or don't care about 😊. But having always lived on hills, I've seen many a handbrake fail and what can occur because of it. Easiest to just do a little bit of due care and attention that takes maybe 4-5 seconds more per stop and have peace of mind.

Edited by Ads230
  • Like 1

The opposite direction gear thing is a bad idea if your engine has a timing chain with a hydraulic tensioner. Any movement will turn the engine backwards, tighten the tensioner side of the chain and either put force on the ratchet (if the tensioner has one) or just squeeze oil out of it if it doesn't.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Wino said:

if your engine has a timing chain with a hydraulic tensioner

Do you know if the EA888 2.0L TSI has this? And what criticality could the damage be in this case? Would be good to know if the general advice I'm giving out is good or detrimental, so I can adapt accordingly 👍