Fabia vRS - Bilstein B12 Alternative ?

Hi All

I am in a bit of a dilemma and need some advice !

I ordered a Bilstein B12 Prokit on the strength of reviews and comments on this forum last August. The fellas I ordered it off have been through the mill trying to get me sorted. They have been given the "middle of next month" story from both Bilstein UK and Germany and have advised me that it may never appear. 

They do have the 4 springs and 2 rear shocks but have to manufacture the front shocks.

My car has nasty lowering springs fitted by the previous owner - Now the car has a nice stance but the standard shocks are now shot completely and she is now a crashey bouncy rattley nightmare to drive. I have actually banned my wife from driving it at all .. ! I'm no Sebastien Loeb but I like a good handling car and its worth it to me to have a good properly sorted car. 

My commute consists of narrow twisty and bumpy backroads for 20mile and motorway the last 10mile - So last 6 months have been driven with a fair degree of mechanical sympathy and awareness of where exactly where the bumps are !! 

I had my heart set on getting the B12 kit and unfortunately now due to supply I have to get sommit else. Another issue is Brexit as well which will cost me an extra 23% in import duty if Boris dosent get a deal of some description - Another problem is my NCT is due next month and I want the wee car sorted for this ! 

What I need

• Good compliance and handling with some degree of comfort
  • Ready set up fixed suspension - I dont want to be messing about with coilovers 
  • Complete kit 4 springs and 4 shocks matched if possible 
  • If not names of decent springs and shocks that are decent - Not cheap and nasty sub standard stuff 
  • Drop of around 30mm but not a stupid unworkable low

I know all the above say B12 Bilstein and if I could I would but thats the way im left now ..... 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated lads as I have myself driven demented ....:crying:

Thanks in Advance

Donal

i

I used H&R springs and some Sport Tec (I’m think that’s what they are called) from Orange Tuning in Germany.

Landed in NZ the shocks were $398NZD for the set.

Great set up on NZ roads, which aren’t exactly flat.

iv e used this setup for last 5yrs or so and never needed/wanted to change. Even done some track days on them.

• Thanks 1

Thanks a Mill for the replies lads.

I phoned Balance Motorsport and the lad there was more than helpful - He has the same trouble with Bilstein - One customer waited 15 months for a suspension for a 911 Porsche .... He said he will get on the ball on Monday and see who has what as there is no point in looking for sommit that turns ot to be unavailable !!

At least now I have reputable names to work off and if I get sommit that you lads suggested and he has Im going for it ..!!

I have all the bushes, drop links, track rod ends, full wishbones even a Whiteline RARB so all ready to go when the suspension comes. 

Someone once described their 2.0 Fabia after a full B12 Suspension and all the above bits as being like "A Tarmac Rally Car" ... I just cant think for the life of me who that person was :wondering::biggrin:

• Haha 1

Hi All

Thanks a mill for all your suggestions and tips ! I've come to decision to fit these

https://www.dcperformance.co.uk/uprated/bc-racing-v1-series-coilovers/skoda/fabia.html

These are in stock and this was the big factor for me ! The set should be here in time for Santa ! 

I gave my trusted spanners Dave and Ross my options and they said that they could set the car up properly ! 

She will be going in after the break so fingers crossed she will be right in time for the NCT !

I'll keep yous posted on the progress !

• 5 weeks later...

Well I got the Fab back this afternoon after 3 days solid and 22 man hours work ! 

Well I must say BC V1 coilovers first impression is very favourable!

We set the car at about a 30mm drop and set all 4 shocks in the middle at 15 clicks 

Turn in is very positive and accurate - no body roll and she puts the power to the road put of the corners ! Reminds me of a friend's 205 GTi the way she is planted !

I didn't get a proper cut this evening as the traffic and rain were not on my side. 

I will leave the settings as is for 2 weeks and see if any adjustments to the shocks or ride height are necessary !

Delighted !