Scala SEL checklist on start-up

Yetiherts

Turn on engine

Turn off share my position message

Turn off software updates message

Turn off stop start 

Turn off lane assist if don't fancy ending up in a ditch 

Sort out heater preferences impossible to fine tune while driving

Turn off software updates again it says it is up to date when you manually check with the engine off.

Wait 30 seconds for reversing camera to come on if ever 

And we are away hopefully trying to reverse out of the drive safely 

The dealership  have seen this, their answer most of these measures are there for my safety and the environment

I say it is all a load of old bo…cks

Oh I forgot the Skoda connect message that blocks all the others on start up as it tries to connect  (wait another 30 seconds) , new owners do yourself a favour never activate this useless piece of c..p

• Haha 1

Never had a problem with any. share my position for it not to come on only shares with skoda so they know where you are if you brake down and if your car gets pinched in settings click if you want to share or not.  lane assist would not put you in a dich there are two sides to a road senses white line gently turns to left senses curb or white line turns you back, Leave Heating in Auto then set temp. i cannot find any fine tune. skoda connect i click welcome ok off i go

• Like 2

21 hours ago, e-Roottoot said:

When Lane assist puts anyone into a ditch they might post on here telling us.

Does nearly count, if so that's what happened to me on my way home in my Kamiq the day I picked it up from the dealers. Really frightened me!!

@longedge nearly putting you in the ditch no more counts than nearly losing your leg.  If it never happened no point putting in a claim.   I assume since getting the car home safely you have learned when Lane assist is suitable to use and when not.   Every day is a school day.

Edited by e-Roottoot

38 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

I assume since getting the car home safely you have learned when Lane assist is suitable to use and when not. 

Sure have, as implemented on my car it's a simple answer - Never.

It's like having a naughty child in the car who grabs the wheel every so often and tries to steer for you.

Edited by longedge

Vast numbers of Skoda drivers never use this forum so I guess there may be a few oldies been in a ditch. I am an advanced driver and in my own personal opinion lane control needs a bit more work before inflicting on all new Skoda cars. Alternatively can we have the ability to turn it off permanently along with stop start. 

• Like 1

Once VW Group poor Lane Assist or other Safety Devices poorly executed start being the cause of accidents and deaths or life changing incidents we will hear about it from Insurers and Motoring Organisations and likely the media in countries where courts can tear VW a new one.

This winter in the UK once there are more ploughed and partially cleared roads might be when those that leave on Lane Assist might be getting into trouble.

Where you are trying to cross a snow ice covered strip into the next lane or side of the road.

I actually think the onboard technology is above-par on the Scala, in general. I do also have to click the OK button on startup on the Amundsen screen, but that's about the only minor faff.

Lane assist is not perfect, but then nor is the lane assist on my Volvo V90.  It certainly doesn't warrant diving into the menus each time to switch it off at the start of each journey. 

With the climate control, if you leave it in Auto mode, you don't need to keep diving into the menus to change the blower direction, fan speed etc as it self-regulates. Compared to other recent cars I've owned, the climate control in the Scala is pretty decent. Rarely need to touch the controls at all and the full front windscreen max setting button is great if you ever get any condensation.

• Like 3

Totally agree with @Mdev  here, I think the onboard tech in the Scala SEL is well above par.  Lane assist comes on above 35 in mine, and only mildly tugs at the steering if it senses I am not positioned correctly, at no point would it ever make me end up in a ditch.  If you don't like it coming on for 40+ B-roads then just turn it off while you are driving, it's 3 clicks with right thumb on the wheel, not imperative you do it at start-up.  For A-roads and motorways personally I think it would be silly not to use it, if anything it at least encourages you to indicate properly when switching lanes.

Share my position is there for the SOS and Nav,  your phone is doing the same thing with god knows who, apple, google, or worse facebook.

Stop start is useful for efficiency although I see you have the DSG so don't know how friendly this is to the driver.  In my manual I have to be in neutral with handbrake on and foot off the clutch for it to kick, making it very useful for when you are at slow traffic lights.  When lights go orange, stick foot on the clutch, into gear and off it goes, can't fault it.  And guess what - because I share my position it knows when I am home, so when I pull up in front of the garage it doesn't auto stop because it knows I am going to get out to open garage door and pull into garage before shutting it off.

As for the reversing camera,  I have never understood these, use your mirrors, look over your shoulder, listen to the sensors.

Again climate control in Auto does a great job.

As an example if I didn't want to spend time getting my car in and out of the garage I wouldn't put it in there, so to me it begs the question - if you didn't want all these features, why did you buy it?

Lane 'assist' may work on motorways but on country roads it is the most dangerous bit of kit I have ever come across.  When you are getting near the hedge it is trying very hard to steer you into a head on collision with the tractor you would rather avoid.  It also seems to be very good at reading the blobs of glue left over from temporary road studs, rather that the nice new while line about eighteen inches further over.  It will quite happily try to steer you into the side of the Artic.

It's a good idea in theory but is somewhat lacking in reality.  There really needs to be a way of turning it off permanently (an axe perhaps?).

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Again climate control in Auto does a great job. Well no

So my SEL is on auto mode side windows steaming up in this cold damp weather in UK

I still have to go into settings to get more warm air on the side windows

I had 2 Nissans that had reversing cameras they worked brilliantly for an old codger that has trouble twisting round to see out of the back window. I hoped the Skoda fitted ones would be as good but sorry they are pants.

Stop start on a DSG is also bordering on dangerous, the auto box is not smoothly taking into account  that the engine has been turned off hence quite a bad hesitation pulling out especially on busy A roads.

(As an example if I didn't want to spend time getting my car in and out of the garage I wouldn't put it in there, so to me it begs the question - if you didn't want all these features, why did you buy it?)

in the main I don't mind the features I just want them to work properly !!!!!

I agree. it's understandable. 

From what I have read I think it may be a VAG heating/fan issue, my brother-in-laws golf mk7.5 R takes forever to clear the inside windscreen from fog every time he starts that, my dads Toureg suffers too, and they are both considerably more expensive than the Scala.

They also both turn their stop-start off on their DSG boxes, for a similar reason to you are suggesting.  Think I would be just as frustrated in all your shoes, the golf r has 300BHP and the Toureg is a V6 monster, seems bonkers that if the driver wants to put his foot down that there is such a delayed response due to the stop start.  Like I said previously, on the manual it works really nice, I guess this is because the driver is making an active decision to stop the car, ie foot off clutch, handbrake on, neutral.  A case with the DSG of the AI auto bits not communicating with the other auto bits, each trying to effectively do their job but contradicting each other at times.

Have you taken your Scala back to dealer for the OCU recall?  

It could well be that the problem isn't the camera, may well be its the technology in the Amundsen head unit.  I have had my own issues with the Amundsen unit - see 'Loud Beep' thread in scala section.  Since the recall I have had one further update on the unit and it is much quicker in functionality and response now.  Although if I haven't used the car in a few days, as lets face it we can't go anywhere, then it can take a while to load user profile.  My main problem with the unit is that Android Auto (Google) doesn't communicate well with Amazon Music in anyway, but that is nothing to do with Skoda.  I can ask google to play George Ezra for example, and she nicely replies, asking amazon music to play George Ezra, only for it to choose a random playlist that contains George Ezra 8 songs in! Proper first world problem there.

It really is strange all these vehicles with DSG's around that are so slow to start from Stop / Start having turned the engine off.

In the different VW Goup DSG's both petrol & diesel and different engine sizes i have driven over 10 years i have never experienced a slow start.

But then when stopped and getting ready to move off i already have the engine re-started by touching the accelerator, or turning the steering wheel.

I never have tried to accelerate from a junction with the engine not running.

Edited by e-Roottoot
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Steve8O said:

I agree. it's understandable. 

From what I have read I think it may be a VAG heating/fan issue, my brother-in-laws golf mk7.5 R takes forever to clear the inside windscreen from fog every time he starts that, my dads Toureg suffers too, and they are both considerably more expensive than the Scala.

They also both turn their stop-start off on their DSG boxes, for a similar reason to you are suggesting.  Think I would be just as frustrated in all your shoes, the golf r has 300BHP and the Toureg is a V6 monster, seems bonkers that if the driver wants to put his foot down that there is such a delayed response due to the stop start.  Like I said previously, on the manual it works really nice, I guess this is because the driver is making an active decision to stop the car, ie foot off clutch, handbrake on, neutral.  A case with the DSG of the AI auto bits not communicating with the other auto bits, each trying to effectively do their job but contradicting each other at times.

I’ve never had any problems of windows misting with ac on and auto selected on my current Kodiaq, previous 2 Yetis and Octavia.

As to the DSG once you master feathering the brake pedal, you have as much control over the stop/start as you have in a manual. 
ie if you stomp on the brake the car will stop and engine stop.

Its also worth noting if you twitch the steering wheel when the traffic in front moves or you see a space the engine will re start.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Yetiherts said:

Again climate control in Auto does a great job. Well no

So my SEL is on auto mode side windows steaming up in this cold damp weather in UK

I still have to go into settings to get more warm air on the side windows

I had 2 Nissans that had reversing cameras they worked brilliantly for an old codger that has trouble twisting round to see out of the back window. I hoped the Skoda fitted ones would be as good but sorry they are pants.

Stop start on a DSG is also bordering on dangerous, the auto box is not smoothly taking into account  that the engine has been turned off hence quite a bad hesitation pulling out especially on busy A roads.

(As an example if I didn't want to spend time getting my car in and out of the garage I wouldn't put it in there, so to me it begs the question - if you didn't want all these features, why did you buy it?)

in the main I don't mind the features I just want them to work properly !!!!!

They do if you want to demist the windows press max button if you want to stop press again aim your vent at the window. And auto does not demist windows it keeps the set temp

Edited by skoda1982

On 12/12/2020 at 11:51, Yetiherts said:

Turn on engine

Turn off share my position message

Turn off software updates message

Turn off stop start 

Turn off lane assist if don't fancy ending up in a ditch 

Sort out heater preferences impossible to fine tune while driving

Turn off software updates again it says it is up to date when you manually check with the engine off.

Wait 30 seconds for reversing camera to come on if ever 

And we are away hopefully trying to reverse out of the drive safely 

The dealership  have seen this, their answer most of these measures are there for my safety and the environment

I say it is all a load of old bo…cks

And thats plenty of reasons why I dont wat to buy a new car, although to be fair I use stop/start. 

Edited by threadbear
Bad grammar
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I agree re lane assist; it's the first thing I switch off before starting out. I hate it with a passion and I won't buy another Skoda unless it can either be switched off permanently, or it's improved to the point where it doesn't want to steer me towards a hedge/kerb because the road has previously been repaired and it mistakes the tar line as the centre line.

In terms of the other prompts, I found them annoying (share my position every time I started); the solution is never to switch off the stereo manually and it doesn't come up.

On 23/12/2020 at 04:53, threadbear said:

And thats plenty of reasons why I dont wat to buy a new car, although to be fair I use stop/start. 

Agreed. Too much tech by far!

Out of interest, do we know how cars ended up with all this stuff fitted? Did customers ask for it? - I should probably start a new thread rather than hijack this one! :)

EDIT: I have started a new thread !

Edited by Westbury63

1 hour ago, Westbury63 said:

Agreed. Too much tech by far!

Out of interest, do we know how cars ended up with all this stuff fitted? Did customers ask for it? - I should probably start a new thread rather than hijack this one! :)

EDIT: I have started a new thread !

Started with driverless car tech they use

On 31/12/2020 at 21:41, tim0409 said:

I agree re lane assist; it's the first thing I switch off before starting out. I hate it with a passion and I won't buy another Skoda unless it can either be switched off permanently, or it's improved to the point where it doesn't want to steer me towards a hedge/kerb because the road has previously been repaired and it mistakes the tar line as the centre line.

In terms of the other prompts, I found them annoying (share my position every time I started); the solution is never to switch off the stereo manually and it doesn't come up.

All makes of cars will have this