Xenon bulb recommendations

Headlight tech has moved on a bit since I last bought and fitted a new bulb (amazingly about 20 years ago :blink:).

What would you recommend as replacement items? These are for Xenon units as fitted by Skoda (the type where just the dipped beams are Xenon).

I don't do many miles these days and these look good to me as a straightforward replacement https://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/d2s-osram-original-xenarc-standard-replacement-12v-35w-4300k-xenon-hid-bulb.html

Pretty sure you'll need D1s not D2s ;)

Just be warned, there are lots of fakes so just make sure you buy a reputable brand from an authorised reseller.

Probably worth doing both at the same time too :)

12 hours ago, langers2k said:

Pretty sure you'll need D1s not D2s ;)

Oh. The one I picked was shown to me by the site using the registration mark tool to identify what would fit my car. Are these tools not very reliable then?

Apparently not if it thinks you need a D2s ;)

Given how easy the headlights are to remove on a MK2 Octavia, you can certainly remove one and check yourself.

The difference is the D1s has the ignitor permanently attached (silver box) whereas the D2s doesn't.

• Like 1

I’ve recently fitted osram cool blue boost 7000k 

Massive improvement and although off road use only hasn’t presented any issues with MOT or dazzling other drivers which no one wants!

This is on a FL VRs but I’m sure you’ll see improvements no matter what age the car.

I've got Osram cool blue intense in my Facelift.

My standard xenons were still ok but I had them fitted to my previous Saab before it was scrapped and the fitment was the same.

The difference is still noticeable even from good working standard bulbs.

Just a nice white light without any blue. So still look standard and are still road legal.

On 17/12/2020 at 12:24, phil08 said:

I’ve recently fitted osram cool blue boost 7000k 

Massive improvement and although off road use only hasn’t presented any issues with MOT or dazzling other drivers which no one wants!

This is on a FL VRs but I’m sure you’ll see improvements no matter what age the car.

Not cool man. I've long thought Xenon's are too bright, but I've just got a pre-fl and I'll be fitting Osram's recommended above you. You shouldn't fit lights you shouldn't. You're on a car forum. You should be sending the right messages, not encouraging people to blind other drivers. Xenon's are already bright enough. If you want brighter lights, stop driving because clearly your eyesight is blown.

@Taz1983 - the cool blue boost aren't brighter than other xenon's.

If anything, they'll be dimmer. The way they've increased the colour temperature is by adding a blue filter on the bulbs, reducing the total light output. That's the reason they aren't road legal. 

Still, I agree it's best to stay with road legal ece approved versions 👍

Edited by langers2k
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Taz1983 said:

Not cool man. I've long thought Xenon's are too bright, but I've just got a pre-fl and I'll be fitting Osram's recommended above you. You shouldn't fit lights you shouldn't. You're on a car forum. You should be sending the right messages, not encouraging people to blind other drivers. Xenon's are already bright enough. If you want brighter lights, stop driving because clearly your eyesight is blown.

That’s your opinion which your entitled to - like I said they don’t blind others on the FL and I mostly always drive at night. Clearly my xenons aren’t bright hence the change of bulbs after 12 years. 

I’m regularly blinded by brand new seats and Skodas and the like with LED bulbs all of which are ALOT brighter then the xenons in mine.

My FL has drive round the corner headlights and automatic adjust probably unlike your pre face light which will just blind others

The rating when you look at YouTube tests is more around the 5k not the advertised rating. 

Nothing wrong with my eyesight or making a suggestion on a forum that’s what this forum is here for so that people can share experiences good and bad. No need to be so negative.

• 3 weeks later...

Cool Blue Boost are not E-marked and as such Osram market them for off-road use only. Not road legal.

I use the Osram Nightbreaker Laser Xenarc in mine, they are supposed to be the best drop-in replacement D1S bulbs. I am pretty happy with them. £110 for a pair though...

Edited by slow_nick

On 22/12/2020 at 08:16, langers2k said:

@Taz1983 - the cool blue boost aren't brighter than other xenon's.

If anything, they'll be dimmer. The way they've increased the colour temperature is by adding a blue filter on the bulbs, reducing the total light output. That's the reason they aren't road legal. 

Still, I agree it's best to stay with road legal ece approved versions 👍

+1 - They will actually be dimmer.