How many gears does the Karoq DSG 4x4 Diesel have?

Grandpag

I see various articles that say my newly acquired Karoq, first registered in Feb 2020, has either 6 or 7 gears - which is it?

Due to Covid semi-isolation, I've hardly driven the car since I got it 2 weeks ago, but so far I've only seen it show gears 1 to 5, and this is in conditions where my Yeti would be go into 6th gear.

The Karoq has various modes as I'm sure you know, but I tried them all and it won't go beyond 5th - any ideas?

Without doing any research, I suspect that just like my wife's 2019 Karoq 190 TDI SE L, yours will have the 7 speed DSG transmission. 

22 minutes ago, Kenny R said:

Do diesels not hold on to a lower gear when trying to regen. If it’s only done short journeys surely this could be the answer.

Yes, but I don’t think they commence a regen cycle until the engine is warmed to a certain temperature.  The emissions control system tries to warm the engine by making it work harder for a few minutes (and petrols also do this for couple of minutes and have higher idle speed as well)

There is also possibility another control system is intervening if car has had little use recently (eg battery needs extra charge), especially if electric heaters are in use (windows, mirrors, seats etc)

But probably going to need it fully warmed through (say 40 minutes of use) and find a good fast road (60mph+) to get it to fully settle and use top gear.

I have a 60mph road about a mile from home, within a mile or so of that it’s a fairly long & flat straight.  Next time out will head that way and see if she goes into 6th or stays in 5th before warming up.  :thumbup:

Thanks guys, I'll bear all this in mind when I'm able to get out on a long speedy drive.

I have to say though that my Yeti used to manage to get into 6th, the highest gear, at moderate speeds.

I'm also pretty sure I was able to put it into 6th manually at 40mph, or thereabouts. So far, I've been unable to do that in the Karoq.

Edited by Grandpag

Maybe best before you have the car much longer to get out of a 30 or 40 mph limit and into a NSL where in 'D' you can take the car up to 60 mph and see that it is using all the gears.

PS

Worth reading the owners manual and finding the bit on 'Coasting Function' and enabling that and when it will function.

Then the gear indicator will go from 5, 6, 7 or what ever and display 'D'.

Edited by e-Roottoot

18 minutes ago, Grandpag said:

Thanks guys, I'll bear all this in mind when I'm able to get out on a long speedy drive.

I have to say though that my Yeti used to manage to get into 6th, the highest gear, at moderate speeds.

I'm also pretty sure I was able to put it into 6th manually at 40mph, or thereabouts. So far, I've been unable to do that in the Karoq.

My Dad has a 2012 Superb Estate with the 170PS diesel engine and 6 speed DSG and having driven it I can confirm that his 8 year old car will happily change into 6th at 40mph. My 2020 DSG with an extra cog likes to do at least 46mph before engaging 6th.

22 hours ago, Grandpag said:

I see various articles that say my newly acquired Karoq, first registered in Feb 2020, has either 6 or 7 gears - which is it?

Due to Covid semi-isolation, I've hardly driven the car since I got it 2 weeks ago, but so far I've only seen it show gears 1 to 5, and this is in conditions where my Yeti would be go into 6th gear.

The Karoq has various modes as I'm sure you know, but I tried them all and it won't go beyond 5th - any ideas?

Pm me your reg or chassis and I'll find out which gearbox it has.

• Like 1

On 17/12/2020 at 21:40, James@RRG_Skoda_Rochdale said:

Pm me your reg or chassis and I'll find out which gearbox it has.

You wouldn't by any chance be the James who worked for a Skoda dealer in Epsom (I think) and contributed in a very helpful and constructive way to the Yeti forum a number of years ago? Left to work in Dubai, I seem to remember.

51 minutes ago, JohnD5314 said:

You wouldn't by any chance be the James who worked for a Skoda dealer in Epsom (I think) and contributed in a very helpful and constructive way to the Yeti forum a number of years ago? Left to work in Dubai, I seem to remember.

I'm afraid not. I'm firmly rooted in Manchester and just pop on here every once in a while to see how things are progressing.

1 hour ago, Merlinman said:

JohnD5314 - might you be thinking of James Rothwell, who was a great source of information at that surrey dealership?

Yes, I do believe that was his name. Wonder how he got on in Dubai? As you say he was a great source of information directly from a Skoda sales guy. 

14 hours ago, JohnD5314 said:

Yes, I do believe that was his name. Wonder how he got on in Dubai? As you say he was a great source of information directly from a Skoda sales guy. 

Just do a search on Facebook for James Rothwell Dubai. 

Tom