MY21 Amundsen Map update procedure

Jelugs

31 minutes ago, Dafyddapw said:

without wishing to take this thread off-track, is there any information anywhere about how to update poi's on the Amundsen system? I've got the 2019 Karoq with the Mib2 Amundsen setup with two SD card slots.

Any advice appreciated.

Your best bet is to ask in this thread Amundsen Mib2 Map Updates 2021 - Skoda Audio, Electronics and Security - BRISKODA which covers your MIB2 system.

Chris

I’m wondering what would happen if someone (me perhaps) was to reject a new vehicle within the 30 day rule as ‘not fit for purpose’. I have one on order which is due for delivery end of June. World chip shortage permitting!

A small update re Amundsen V3 map updates.

The garage have informed me that you should be able to download the maps from the portal for your VIN to a USB memory stick, put it into the USB C socket and then on the main system menu go to the update option and it should recognise it there if you check for updates.

I have not tried it as my maps were updated by the garage to 11/21.

48 minutes ago, stewartv said:

I have not tried it as my maps were updated by the garage to 11/21.

Hi Stewart.

Are you sure about your map version?? That would seem to imply your maps were issued on November 2021??

The Update portal is saying it still has the ECE2020/21 version to download (which I presume is the 2020/11 issue). But despite my earlier doubts about my maps getting updated online, now I'm able to drive a bit more after lockdown I'm pretty sure the maps in my car are newer than that. My car was built in October 2020, and came with the 19.11 navigation database, but when I checked on the 12th of March this year it had been updated to 20.9. And after seeing your post I've just checked it again today, and see it now has the 21.2 version :) 

Chris

5 minutes ago, CJJE said:

Hi Stewart.

Are you sure about your map version?? That would seem to imply your maps were issued on November 2021??

The Update portal is saying it still has the ECE2020/21 version to download (which I presume is the 2020/11 issue). But despite my earlier doubts about my maps getting updated online, now I'm able to drive a bit more after lockdown I'm pretty sure the maps in my car are newer than that. My car was built in October 2020, and came with the 19.11 navigation database, but when I checked on the 12th of March this year it had been updated to 20.9. And after seeing your post I've just checked it again today, and see it now has the 21.2 version :) 

Chris

Chris, Wish I knew your secret I'm still driving around with 19.11 and no sign of it updating...

14 minutes ago, Bryfly said:

Chris, Wish I knew your secret I'm still driving around with 19.11 and no sign of it updating...

Hi Bryfly,

Perhaps the roads in Hampshire haven't changed? Or you don't have a regular online connection? 

Up to March I was only driving to a local supermarket and back once a week - about 15 minutes each way.  But since then I've made some longer journeys of around 30 minutes each way to get our covid jabs, and then one of about an hour each way last Saturday. And I seem to have a continuous online connection too. 

I haven't needed to press the update button either. I only found out that I now have the 21.2 version when I checked to see what version it was. But it's interesting that stephano up in Bingley has got 21.3!! 

Chris

Edited by CJJE
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, CJJE said:

Hi Stewart.

Chris

Sorry - maps are 20.11 (just checked). 

As the portal still shows 2020/21 I guess that is likely to also be the same - hence not wanting to try the USB C route at present.

I think one of the great unknowns is that is it just the UK maps updated? I cannot imaging Skodsa funding a 25GB download OTA each time for all cars! This is why I was really interested in being able to update via the USB and be able to select a country. You can then go on holiday (hopefully) and leave with the latest maps installed.

I am still vigorously pursuing the issues of  being unable to select contacts from a phone as a destination, the fact that the advertised Connect services are still not available to send contacts since the announcement last June, and the post code issues with real addresses not being recognised. My old £99 Garmin with lifetime updates is more advanced for post code operation!

6 minutes ago, stewartv said:

Sorry - maps are 20.11 (just checked). 

As the portal still shows 2020/21 I guess that is likely to also be the same - hence not wanting to try the USB C route at present.

I think one of the great unknowns is that is it just the UK maps updated? I cannot imaging Skodsa funding a 25GB download OTA each time for all cars! This is why I was really interested in being able to update via the USB and be able to select a country. You can then go on holiday (hopefully) and leave with the latest maps installed.

I am still vigorously pursuing the issues of  being unable to select contacts from a phone as a destination, the fact that the advertised Connect services are still not available to send contacts since the announcement last June, and the post code issues with real addresses not being recognised. My old £99 Garmin with lifetime updates is more advanced for post code operation!

I've been told by Skoda UK that the maps for your country will be updated online (presumably UK rather than England) but like you I would want the French maps to be updated when driving there. I've a holiday booked in Brittany for late-June - and if we're able to go I'd be hoping the French maps get updated pretty quickly once we landed! 

Chris 

24 minutes ago, CJJE said:

Hi Bryfly,

Perhaps the roads in Hampshire haven't changed? Or you don't have a regular online connection? 

Up to March I was only driving to a local supermarket and back once a week - about 15 minutes each way.  But since then I've made some longer journeys of around 30 minutes each way to get our covid jabs, and then one of about an hour each way last Saturday. And I seem to have a continuous online connection too. 

I haven't needed to press the update button either. I only found out that I now have the 21.2 version when I checked to see what version it was. But it's interesting that stephano up in Bingley has got 21.3!! 

Chris

Hi Chris, when you say online connection you mean via the built in Sim card, which is shown as active by the world symbol top left on the screen, my world is greyed out which I believe means its active if not active I have read it is red, mine is still 19.11 but have done several long trips, so who knows the secrets of Skoda Sat Nav...lol 

4 minutes ago, Bryfly said:

Hi Chris, when you say online connection you mean via the built in Sim card, which is shown as active by the world symbol top left on the screen, my world is greyed out which I believe means its active if not active I have read it is red, mine is still 19.11 but have done several long trips, so who knows the secrets of Skoda Sat Nav...lol 

Yes, although I rely on the green led up by the SOS button as that's more obvious. 

Chris

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CJJE said:

Yes, although I rely on the green led up by the SOS button as that's more obvious. 

Chris

Yes ...have noticed the green led up by the SOS button being on, so i guess my Internet is working OK...

2 hours ago, Bryfly said:

Blimey had an update notification on my sat nav screen today, hit the ok button, then, nothing has changed?

Mine was the same 

• Confused 1

On 01/05/2021 at 15:54, Bryfly said:

Blimey had an update notification on my sat nav screen today, hit the ok button, then, nothing has changed?

I also had this today - mine was a system update "To cure minor errors and apps" not a map update. 

So I parked up and installed it. Came back to the car and started the engine to be told "Travel Assist not available" "Lane Assist not available" and "Dynamic Road Signs not available"! According to the manual I need to make sure the windscreen is clean over the sensor, and stop then restart the engine to clear the fault. But the windscreen was clean (it had been showery and my new Bosch wipers were working well) and a quick restart when I got home produced the same warnings. So if the fault is still there tomorrow it sounds like the system update was at fault!! 

Chris

18 hours ago, CJJE said:

I also had this today - mine was a system update "To cure minor errors and apps" not a map update. 

So I parked up and installed it. Came back to the car and started the engine to be told "Travel Assist not available" "Lane Assist not available" and "Dynamic Road Signs not available"! According to the manual I need to make sure the windscreen is clean over the sensor, and stop then restart the engine to clear the fault. But the windscreen was clean (it had been showery and my new Bosch wipers were working well) and a quick restart when I got home produced the same warnings. So if the fault is still there tomorrow it sounds like the system update was at fault!! 

Chris

Had another reply from Skoda but as useless as ever, I did promise to show the content so have pasted below. There needs to be bomb put under a few seats over this dreadful MY21 Amundsen system.

How useless is this reply and again given my marching orders. I think if the saga was picked up by a really intent motoring correspondent Skoda wouldn’t come out of it too well!! Understatement!!

Regards to you all

Eric

Re: Karoq SE Drive – Xxxxxx

Dear Mr Xxxxxxx

Thank you for your return contact.

Having looked at the information we have available, I can see that a USBC stick would need to be purchased and the maps update would be uploaded to this USBC stick and the vehicle.

Again, we are awaiting further instruction but this will be the method likely to be used.

As there is nothing further I can assist with, I will be closing the file.

Thank you for contacting ŠKODA UK.

Kind regards

Jennifer-Louize Todd
Customer Relations Manager
ŠKODA UK | Selectapost 34 | Sheffield | S97 3FA
Tel:  0333 0037504  
[email protected] | www.skoda.co.uk | www.skoda-auto.com

5 hours ago, lichfielddriver said:

Does a MIB1 update require a dealer login?

This thread is devoted to the MY21 systems (MIB3s) so you are more likely to get a reply in Amundsen MIB1 Map Update 2020-2021 - Skoda Audio, Electronics and Security - BRISKODA.

MIB1 systems could be updated by downloading a large zipped file from the Skoda UK Update portal, and either overwriting the data on the SD card for Amundsen systems. or transferring the data from an SD card to the hard drive in a Columbus. But as the MIB1 systems are now pretty old you may find that updates are no longer being offered. I believe some owners have used VW files successfully, but please read the MIB1 thread linked to above for more details. 

Chris 

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone. I would like to apologize if I'm writing in the wrong topic (and for my english) if I'm not in the right place could you please tell me where i should ask the following question?

I own a Skoda Scala (model from 20/07/20) and I wanted to update the maps (currently at version 19.11).

I went with the VIN on Skoda's website, the car gets recognized as "Rapid New 20/07/2020", I guess is the name they give internally to the Scala model.

I've looked at the video instructions that, as you have mentioned before, still refer to a SD card slot that is not present in the car, since there are only two USB-C ports.

So I downloaded anyway the 25GB update file and bought this sd card:

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-Micro-UHS-I-Memory/dp/B07G3GMRYF/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=SanDisk%2BExtreme%2BPro&qid=1623947906&sr=8-5&th=1

and this adapter (felt it was the right way to do it since there is no other port other than USB-C):

https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B06XKVXLVW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I unzipped the 25GB file in the sd card, inserted in the adpter (that works correctly, I checked with the pc), plugged the adapter in the car, turned on the ingition, went on Setup->System Information->Update software but no update appears on the screen, the list stays empty.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for the help.

16 minutes ago, sine__nomine said:

Hello everyone. I would like to apologize if I'm writing in the wrong topic (and for my english) if I'm not in the right place could you please tell me where i should ask the following question?

I own a Skoda Scala (model from 20/07/20) and I wanted to update the maps (currently at version 19.11).

I went with the VIN on Skoda's website, the car gets recognized as "Rapid New 20/07/2020", I guess is the name they give internally to the Scala model.

I've looked at the video instructions that, as you have mentioned before, still refer to a SD card slot that is not present in the car, since there are only two USB-C ports.

So I downloaded anyway the 25GB update file and bought this sd card:

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-Micro-UHS-I-Memory/dp/B07G3GMRYF/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=SanDisk%2BExtreme%2BPro&qid=1623947906&sr=8-5&th=1

and this adapter (felt it was the right way to do it since there is no other port other than USB-C):

https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B06XKVXLVW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I unzipped the 25GB file in the sd card, inserted in the adpter (that works correctly, I checked with the pc), plugged the adapter in the car, turned on the ingition, went on Setup->System Information->Update software but no update appears on the screen, the list stays empty.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Hi sine_nomine,

First of all you're more likely to find people who know about the Scala in its own forum at BRISKODA - The SKODA Forums for Owners and Fans

But if your car has USB-C ports rather than SD card slots, it sounds like you have a 3rd generation infotainment system... which if it is like the ones fitted in the Karoq, Kamiq and Kodiaq get their map updated automatically via the car's internet connection. Again, in the Karoq you can look at the System Information to see the installed map version. In my car it has updated a couple of times and is now using version 21.02 (I think). However this varies between countries and I don't know if you are in the UK. 

Many of us have tried to update the maps manually via the USB-C ports, but the only owner who has succeeded was in Russia and my understanding is that their cars don't have the online updates activated. We have been told that UK cars will be able to get updated maps via the USB-C ports in the future but have no idea when yet. 

Best Wishes,

Chris

Hi CJJE, thanks a lot for your answer.

As you guessed I'm not in the UK, I'm in italy. 

How can I know if my car has the online updates activated? Because the car says that there is an esim (or at least there is a green check near "e-sim"), but when i bought the car that was not mentioned and I never paid for a subscription with an internet provider (that I assume is necessary to use the e-sim?). Thanks again.

Best wishes.

In the UK (I can't speak for Italy) we have a subscription to Skoda Connect services provided for the first year with a new car. We also have to register our Skoda ID, and can see what services are provided in the infotainment system. The green LED is presumably showing that your internet connection is active, and that you can use the SOS button to report an accident or breakdown from your car. Again, I'm not familiar with the Scala, but I would expect your owner's manual to give you full details of the Skoda Connect services. 

It's surprising that your maps haven't updated themselves from 19.11. When my car was delivered in November 2020, it took some months to update but because of our covid lockdowns I wasn't able to drive it very much and assumed that was the cause. 

Perhaps you need to visit your dealer and check with him? 

Chris

6 minutes ago, CJJE said:

It's surprising that your maps haven't updated themselves from 19.11. When my car was delivered in November 2020, it took some months to update..

Chris

Hi Chris, I'm still on 19.11 since delivery in March this year, I have had updates applied, but none that update the 19.11...bry