Spare steel wheel different size.

JandB

As a new owner and not at all "techie" can I ask a quick question ... My new fabia has Kumho Ecsta tyres (215/45/R16) tyres on my alloy road wheels.  However the spare is Nexen Nbiue (185/60/R15) on a steel spare.  Is this correct and safe?

7 minutes ago, JandB said:

As a new owner and not at all "techie" can I ask a quick question ... My new fabia has Kumho Ecsta tyres (215/45/R16) tyres on my alloy road wheels.  However the spare is Nexen Nbiue (185/60/R15) on a steel spare.  Is this correct and safe?

Mine runs 215/40/17 and the spare is the same Nexen 185/60/15 so it looks likely that is the way they left the factory

The 185/60/15 has a diameter of 603mm. The 215/45/16 has a diameter of 600mm. That is the most important measure from a drivetrain damage perspective and should be fine with only 3mm difference

From a handling and roadholding perspective I wouldn't want to drive around on the spare for a long time, but a few days or a week while you get a new tyre fitted to the alloy shouldn't be a problem

As it is you need to slow down and drive when any odd tyres size / wheel is on as a 'Temporary spare' regardless of there being a Warning Sticker on it or not.

Go slower simply because it is a brand new / green / unscrubbed tyre. Also the pressure likely different as well as the compound / size / weight.

You can reset the TPMS when you fit the odd one out sized spare and maybe not get a 'TPMS warning.

21 minutes ago, djorkboy said:

Mine runs 215/40/17 and the spare is the same Nexen 185/60/15 so it looks likely that is the way they left the factory

The 185/60/15 has a diameter of 603mm. The 215/45/16 has a diameter of 600mm. That is the most important measure from a drivetrain damage perspective and should be fine with only 3mm difference

From a handling and roadholding perspective I wouldn't want to drive around on the spare for a long time, but a few days or a week while you get a new tyre fitted to the alloy shouldn't be a problem

Brilliant.  That's put my mind at rest.  Thank you.

2 minutes ago, e-Roottoot said:

As it is you need to slow down and drive when any odd tyres size / wheel is on as a 'Temporary spare' regardless of there being a Warning Sticker on it or not.

Go slower simply because it is a brand new / green / unscrubbed tyre. Also the pressure likely different as well as the compound / size / weight.

You can reset the TPMS when you fit the odd one out sized spare and maybe not get a 'TPMS warning.

Excellent.  Thank you.

OT

Bought my Fabia 4 years ago. Hunted around and didn't like these 'pretend spares!' Skoda dealer said it's a proper spare and, dumbo, never checked! Only had 1 puncture 2 months ago and discovered the 'pretend' spare. Label says,' limited to 85kph.' Contacted Skoda Australia and was advised this is normal!.

Don't trust this mob. Said wife's Octavia needed dash pulling out ($700+what found) to fault find aircon; right aircon temp sensor 204-something, failed. Bought VCDS, temp sensor ok, re-gassed aircon, alls well!!!

Hate to let them replace timing chain! They said tensioner original and half-worn via inspection plate. Looks like original sealant around plate?

Edited by anotherdownunder
  • Confused 1

They are 'Emergency spare wheels'.   They save space as but are nor 'Space Saver' very narrow wheels and tyres.   Nothing 'pretend' about them, they are the real deal.

If you want a matching wheel and tyre to the 4 on the car then just buy one.

It is not only Skoda or VW Group that have Steel Wheels as Spare Wheels and of a different size and with a different tyre fitted.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/406822-16-spare-wheel-ftw

Edited by e-Roottoot

7 hours ago, anotherdownunder said:

OT

Bought my Fabia 4 years ago. Hunted around and didn't like these 'pretend spares!' Skoda dealer said it's a proper spare and, dumbo, never checked! Only had 1 puncture 2 months ago and discovered the 'pretend' spare. Label says,' limited to 85kph.

Is the spare the same size as the normal wheels? If so, take the sticker off and drive normally just being aware that the spare may be brand new, (not in your case as  you've used it), if it's not the same size you are limited to 85kph.  The weight of the steel wheel as opposed to the alloy makes no difference to the handling in normal driving.

@peter3197

?

What do you consider to be 'normal driving'  around the world in different environments which might be in torrential rain / snow / ice or just lovely warm weather.

Is driving the same as before the puncture as after once you fit a spare with a tyre that might not be directional even if the 3 on the car are, that has a different tread and compound and even profile perfectly OK?

Many 'Steel spare wheels' come without the 'Warning Stickers'  that could be because the wheels are the same as people might use as 'Winter wheels' for use with chains.

Best not remove the sticker if there is one even if the wheel and tyre were the same size, but they spare is a steel wheel and the cars 4 wheels are alloys.

The weight might make no difference, but you would want to check if the width of the wheel is the same and the offset.

Anyone can do what ever they want, there is no one policing stupidity.

Well there are Insurance Loss adjusters / Police examiners is in the very rare eventuality you were in an accident while getting a shift on at NSL speeds or on a Motorway and there was an accident, even one that you were just unfortunate to be in.

Only the person removing the sticker knows if they might be the only person using that car and maybe needing to fit the spare wheel.

'Warning' are not a bad thing considering not everyone still have the common sense they were born with.

Edited by e-Roottoot

32 minutes ago, gumdrop said:

I am always asked; Do the same bolts hold the steel spare on?

yes, assuming you have standard wheels on or have fitted aftermarkets that take the same wheel bolts. There are some aftermarket wheels which have a different taper.

Edited by peter3197
More info.

• 3 weeks later...

Like a lot of manufacturers, standard is a pot of sealant and a pump. If when new, a spare is ordered, it will be the standard steel wheel of the base model, which is what the OP has got.  My 2015 SE originally had alloys, but these were the same size as the steels used on the S.  I bought it used, and the dealer was happy to swap my alloys for steels from an S, as this makes more sense for me using it as a learner car. I then got a spare steel of the same size.

Some cars have 'space saver' spares, others have, like us, the standard steel from the base car. Whichever any car has, if it is not the same size as the others it is legally classified as a space saver, and is restricted in the EU & UK to 80kph/50mph.

On 21/12/2020 at 06:48, peter3197 said:

The weight of the steel wheel as opposed to the alloy makes no difference to the handling in normal driving.

Octavia MK3 6.5Jx16 ET46 Steel Rim

Weight is 7.6kg

https://eshop.skoda-auto.cz/cs_CZ/plechovy-disk-16-/p/5Q0601027BQ03C

Octavia MK3 6.5Jx16 ET46 Alloy Rim

Weight is 9.5kg

https://eshop.skoda-auto.cz/cs_CZ/kolo-z-lehke-slitiny-velorum-16-pro-octavia-iii-octavia-iv/p/5E3071496++FL8

As you can see from the above links, the "light" alloy rim is actually much heavier than the steel rim.

Most alloy rims are made out of cast aluminium, which is a far weaker material than steel. Cast alloy rims are very cheap to make, so there's a lot of profit for the sellers. Hence all the false information about alloy rims being light.

It's possible to make alloy rims lighter than steel, but that involves using materials such as forged aluminium. Expensive cars such as Porsches and Ferraris will often use forged aluminium for their rims and never cast aluminium.

Edited by Carlston