Remap Kodiaq Stage 1 - not detectable by dealer?

So, just a query really, there's a garage near me that does a lot of work for skoda, porsche, vw, etc etc including remaps repairs servicing etc.

Now they claim that they can do a remap and because they keep the original ecu reference number that a remap cannot be detected by the dealers? 

Is he bull****ting me or is this a real thing?

I'd suggest asking them how they get round TD1 codes.   I've heard the same thing that they can now avoid the ECU throwing codes from other tuners, including the guy who mapped my Golf and my Yeti but I'm not entirely convinced.

https://forums.ross-tech.com/index.php?threads/18508/

• Like 2

@PaulCanningRegardless of them saying undetectable it is you that would be signing a declaration when making a warranty claim if required that the vehicle was not modified with hardware or software that is not Factory Approved.

The terms are in the T&C's of the Warranty.

Maybe the company you are talking with ignore such things and claim cash money from the VW Group if doing warranty work but you are the one defrauding an insurance underwriter / VW Group.

Plenty do it, some are caught. After all you are declaring the 'Remap' to your insurance company.

I would doubt it's not detectable by the dealer. Whether they will look at it is another matter. So e dealers are happy to warrant parts that are not related to the map so could be worth discussing that with them. You are of course raising the flag that your car could be modified if they tell you they won't cover it. If you then rock up with a claim for a clutch and they do a scan......

6 hours ago, MarkyG82 said:

I would doubt it's not detectable by the dealer. Whether they will look at it is another matter. So e dealers are happy to warrant parts that are not related to the map so could be worth discussing that with them. You are of course raising the flag that your car could be modified if they tell you they won't cover it. If you then rock up with a claim for a clutch and they do a scan......

I imagine it's almost impossible to  successfully claim for a clutch on a warranty after 6 months mapped or stock, the old wear and tear / corrosion clause is the usual get out of jail free for the company

• 1 month later...

FWIW, I had a Leon cupra 280, story is in these forum somewhere. George knows this too, but I remapped it, with the full knowledge and permission of seat UK and VAG UK finance. I also told the dealer, who told me it wasn't very good as they didn't spot it (rolls eyes). 18 months later the turbo blew up, and was replaced free under warranty. 

However, possible caveat, I did my homework and knew that there was an issue with early production of the EA888 engine in the Golf R, and there were a few Internet stories of exploding turbos, related to the original OE parts supplier design issue. Mine was from that early build, and I asked seat tech UK about, who sent me an email confirming that the turbo was fine, no recall issues etc. 

So, you can remap your car, you can do it legitimately assuming VAG UK consent (they might not any more this was 5 - 6 years ago now). Most of all, do your homework on the engine first. 

On 28/12/2020 at 20:06, Redboy said:

I imagine it's almost impossible to  successfully claim for a clutch on a warranty after 6 months mapped or stock, the old wear and tear / corrosion clause is the usual get out of jail free for the company

My mk 2 octy vrs slipped the OE clutch the day I remapped it. I had 2 choices, undo the remap or buy an uprated clutch. Amusingly, despite me telling the main dealer that did the servicing and from whom I'd bought the car that I'd had the work done, the engineers report advised me the clutch needed replacing lol.