Dash board squeaks

paco

Does anybody else suffer from plastic sounding squeaks and vibration from the right hand side of the dashboard, it only occurs on rough tarmac roads and possibly only in cold weather, if so and more importantly has anybody got a cure ? 🤔

0D29F58A-440B-4935-854C-8DAE852A0558.jpeg

Can't speak for the Yeti specifically but an auto-leccy friend used to swear by talc as a cure for squeaky dashboards.

BTW you might want to look for an "unscented" variety ...

Cover up stuff that may catch overspray and anoint the joints with silicone spray or silicone polish.

mine used to creak and squeak in hot, dry weather. Even a little water spray can make a difference

as I found out with an old Avenger GT whose steering bushes shrieked if they dried out.

Thanks for replies, I have previously used silicone spray on other parts and yes it does work for awhile, might try a bit of talc next 😎👍

mine squeaks/creaks on occasion, traced my issue to the chromed dial housing area.

fixed by placing thumb on the chrome ring and fingers on the top of the curved instrument housing as shown in your picture and squeeze together, do both sides

Edited by Halford

On 31/12/2020 at 06:20, Halford said:

mine squeaks/creaks on occasion, traced my issue to the chromed dial housing area.

fixed by placing thumb on the chrome ring and fingers on the top of the curved instrument housing as shown in your picture and squeeze together, do both sides

All three of my Yeti's have done this on poorly surfaced roads. 

I have only ever had a dash creak in very cold weather and that stops when I press on the chrome ring, could it be down to the 16" wheels with 205x60 tyres.

Whilst silicon and talk will both work, talk would be the best route. Silicon can leave a sticky residue that would attract dirt. Dry lubricants are always preferable at times like this. The classic situation is a door lock where you slide the key in. These respond best to foliac [graphite powder] or a ptfe spray. If you squirted silicon or an oil, even WD40 in dirt would eventually stick and the situation could be worse.

Colin

1 hour ago, eribaMotters said:

Whilst silicon and talk will both work, talk would be the best route.

That may work for the wife but there is no way it will take notice of me :biggrin:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eribaMotters said:

Whilst silicon and talk will both work, talk would be the best route. Silicon can leave a sticky residue that would attract dirt. Dry lubricants are always preferable at times like this. The classic situation is a door lock where you slide the key in. These respond best to foliac [graphite powder] or a ptfe spray. If you squirted silicon or an oil, even WD40 in dirt would eventually stick and the situation could be worse.

Colin

Talc, I meant talc. talk seldom works for me.

• Haha 1

There are very few fixings holding the Yeti dash in place, all at the sides & bottom, the whole upper section is retained by one central spring clip which should engage when the dash is pushed into position, sometimes these are very hard to engage and some mechanics have been known to remove them, the resultant movement will makes noises from all contact and fixing points.

If your dashboard has the centre cubby box then removing this will enable you to see the clip and lubricate it if appropriate, otherwise you can get a good grip with both hands to push the dash in all directions to try and find the source of the noise.