Interior condensation

This is the first really cold spell I've been through with our 2018 Fabia, and this morning the temperature was down to -2.5C. I was getting the car warmed up, scraping the ice off etc and then sat waiting for the windscreen to defrost. Only this took ages, as it was frozen on the inside too and very wet.

I never normally like to touch the windscreen inside as it then ends up becoming smeared, but I had no choice but to wipe the water away - and continue to wipe it away as it was defrosting and dribbling down the screen. The boot window was just as bad.

My Yeti I've had for years is so much better than this, even having left damp dog towels in the boot by mistake in this weather before has never created that much condensation after a freezing night.

There doesn't seem to be any damp or water in my Fabia to have caused this - does anyone else get the same issue?

Unfortunately I have the same problem in my wife's Fabia. I have checked the floor mats, boot, and spare wheel area and all are perfectly dry. I would be interested to know why there is some much condensation on the windows as well.

As well as having on the AC as much as you c an when driving and airing the car when you can when dry enough outside to do, 

make sure the H20 that can get trapped in the doors is draining.

Open the passengers door and see if water is draining out if you are regularly just using the drivers door.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/423079-fabia-3-monte-carlo-condensation-misting-up-problem

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/385498-condensation-and-ice-inside-my-monte

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/473727-door-seals-water-ingress

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/456441-hmmm-frost-about

Edited by e-Roottoot

Skoda like to use 'Simply Clever' but model after model and new generation of cars and they still have not got things sorted yet.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/292098-how-long-until-the-excess-condensation-threads

Maybe the Mk4 Fabia will be engineered by a Central European Manufacturer that can deal with Western European winters in an island nation that are not that severe.

Thanks for that e-Roottoot, both front doors get used, although the back ones hardly ever get opened, plus the car is only being used twice a week at the moment. I think that I will have a look for some dehumidifying bags to see if they help.

Thanks for the replies and links, I had no idea this was such a common issue with the Fabia!

Like DaveLees I guess I'll be going down the dehumidifying bag route and making sure the windows are as clean as can be for now.

This is a problem with better sealed cars. Just like houses with double glazing and no ventilation.

With mine these things help:-

Clean the windows thoroughly. I find that a hard rub with new unused paper hand towel after cleaning with window cleaner works.

A dehumidifying bag on the front dash over night.

When you start the car run the heater on hot with the AC on and directed at the screen.

It also helps to open a window or two a crack.

If you can try this:-

Leave both front windows open about 1/2 inch all night with the alarm interior sensor off.

You can put a car window sheet over the car.

You will then find that because the temperature both inside and outside the windows are the same there is no condensation. 

Thanks, AG Falco

Just to add to the above good advice; leave the air vents set down to the foot well when parked up overnight to direct the incoming damp air away from the windscreen. Never turn off the aircon when using the car as it dehumidifies the incoming air. 

• 2 years later...
On 31/12/2020 at 11:30, Beanfeast said:

This is the first really cold spell I've been through with our 2018 Fabia, and this morning the temperature was down to -2.5C. I was getting the car warmed up, scraping the ice off etc and then sat waiting for the windscreen to defrost. Only this took ages, as it was frozen on the inside too and very wet.

I never normally like to touch the windscreen inside as it then ends up becoming smeared, but I had no choice but to wipe the water away - and continue to wipe it away as it was defrosting and dribbling down the screen. The boot window was just as bad.

My Yeti I've had for years is so much better than this, even having left damp dog towels in the boot by mistake in this weather before has never created that much condensation after a freezing night.

There doesn't seem to be any damp or water in my Fabia to have caused this - does anyone else get the same issue?

I seem to have the same problem with the inside misting up, only now I've removed the sunglasses holder in the roof and it's full of condensation/water , not sure if this is roof bar seals?

20230201_132824.jpg

20230201_132834.jpg

Please note - I am not a mechanic or expert in anything.

Have you ruled out the usual causes of condensation, the weather, where the car is parked and it's position, any damp or wet boots and dog blankets in the car, other stuff in the boot?

My neighbours has two towel type mats in his boot area, they're great for getting condensation on the inside of the glass.

For the last  five winters or so I've noticed more condensation with the weather than the previous 35, moss or whatever the green stuff is on the concrete path, earlier starting, in late autumn this year and a different type of moss.

We use Pingi dehumidifier bags and moist synthetic chamois (kept in a sealable food bag) along with the air-con and sunvisors to deflected the blown air back to the screen.

Edited by nta16
ETA: Please note - I am not a mechanic or expert in anything.

5 hours ago, johnrogers said:

I seem to have the same problem with the inside misting up, only now I've removed the sunglasses holder in the roof and it's full of condensation/water , not sure if this is roof bar seals?

20230201_132824.jpg

20230201_132834.jpg

Having seen the photo and now learning that you have misting problems I retract what I said on another thread about the vehicle having a roof or screen leak.

You are seeing the condensation there because the car is damp (misting, may even be a leak further down) and the water vapour is condensing at the highest coldest point, the roof lining insulation is cut away to make space for the sunglasses holder with bare cold metal above it.

Don't mean to be mean but condensation on the inside is caused by you (and me). Our breath deposits a few millitres all the time and of course it can be seen by breathing out vigorously on a particularly cold day. If you have the car's ventilation system operating much of it will get pushed out but many people have it set to recirculating mode so your moist breath stays in the car and causes condensation.

@h2o trapped in the doors sometimes if the passenger door is not opened to let it out, or the car parked on a slope.

There are many cars that have people in them and breathing and no condensation issues even if someone puts on the air intake to recycle for a little while. 

When the ambient temp is warm enough and the weather dry that damp (water) really needs dried out. 

Then the source of it getting in the car sorted out if it is not just from clothes, footwear, animals or the lungs of a human. 

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/509984-condensation