2nd gear crunch, plus some other bits. Help!

Evening all, 

Hoping you all can help me. Its my first post, so sorry if this is a) a thread that exists and I missed it or b) the wrong place! 

After getting bored of the 20/30s mpg from my 54 plate celica, I bought my Fabia VRS around 3 years ago, with around 65k on the clock. I was doing mega miles at the time (25/30k a year - so you can imagine what the poor celica looked like) and thought a tiny car with an enormous tdi would be a half decent replacement. 

Last year, I still hadn't bonded with it. It just felt like a decision I'd made with my head, over my heart - so i made the decision to start upgrading some bits to see if I could entice a bit more character out of it, while not destroying it/me if I ever needed to do a long journey in it. 

Its now at 115k, mapped to just shy of 170bhp/295 lbft (economy/daily, no smoke) a fresh clutch (i dont have time for breakdowns so tend to indulge in preventative maintenence) and some other little bits like sound deadening / wind delfectors so I can have the windows open. Services used to happen every 6-10 months (between 10-12k miles). It rarely gets caned, its more of a commuter/ mile muncher! 

Recently, I fear all the bits that have been loosening up over time are catching up with it. 

There's a definite groaning/clunking/squeaking from The front off side corner (which I'm starting to think is the shocks/top mounts on their way out).

It seems like one of the interior lights (drivers position) has died, no matter what bulb goes in it. (The centre/passenger are fine) 

Finally, its developed a clunk/crunch between first and second - comes out of g1 fine, tightens up at the start of g2, grinds a little and then pops in. It only does this between 1-2. 

Are these bits (I'll live with the light that won't turn on) going to add up to be expensive? 

Finally, is it worth fixing? I know it could be more the devil you knowledge, but the poor thing barely moves now, as I mostly work from home. 

Happy to listen to your advice, and thanks for reading! :)

Adam

Utilitairian pic attached for attention, who needs a big boot when you can always go upwards 🤣

1590861677216.jpg

• Like 2

Nice Pic BTW.. I use mine as my commuter as well ... I'm in exactly the same position as yourself .. For me it was a tossup between a 07 Nissan Tiida diesel or the Fabia vRS ... Well I still have some semblance of life in me yet and not ready for afternoon naps, incontinence and Wharfmen tablets ...! 

My commute is like a rally stage as its over backroads for 20miles and then the final 10 is motorway .... ! 

I got the Fabia and for me it is just the right tool for the job. Fair enough with a 15 year old car you will have issues but the way I look at my car is if its in need of anything I upgrade or use good quality.   

If you keep on top of things and always drive with a fair degree of mechanical sympathy these wee cars are fantastic - From now on things will start to wear out. My gearbox does exactly as you say but only if she is cold - I just slur the 1-2 change and take no heed whatsoever ...!! Wost case is a full gearbox which are still readily available from the breakers. 

You are on about the driver side door bin light ...? Well mine is missing altogether and it dont bother me  ... Oh yes my radio reception is really bad..  And my heated rear screen doesn't work.. The back washer ... mmmm - The glovebox light ... oh yes the aircon has been taken off mine .. And the heater is only tepid not hot !

These are issues that I am currently experiencing but these don't bother me in the slightest.

My original plan was to drive my car for a year then when the test was due get rid and get sommit else .. That plan has now been totally shelved due to the emotional attachment I have for mine.....!!

Its going to cost 2-3k at least to run a car per year - If its older it will cost on maintenance, if its newer then its going to cost on repayments ...... ! 

Just keep on top of major stuff and if minor stuff really bothers you then fix it yourself.....!! This forum is an absolute life line for me..!

Sounds like a similar boat to me! (When lockdown ends anyway). 

Did you ever have your gear change diagnosed? Was dreading replacing it tbh. 

The dodgy light is the drivers navigation light (one of the three in the roof lining) not a big problem as it is, just annoying. 

Part of me has had enough of fixing little niggles, I've always had Japanese cars and they don't seem to suffer as much as what my mates have now deemed "The Czech maraca" - bit rich coming from a group of old bmw drivers in my opinion! 

Gearbox crunch is the synchromesh failing, live with it or get the box reconditioned, some joker will jack in the box and suggest comedy snake oil additive or changing the oil but there's no magic jizz going to replace the worn material so the choice is simple.

Thanks all, 

So long as its not going to leave me stranded by the side of the road, I'll live with it for now; I'm assuming it's either going to get worse over time, or i run the risk of chopping in a scrapper 'box that'll develop the same issue?

Its done a whopping 15 miles in the last 2 weeks so hardly the mile muncher it used to be! 

In the meantime, if anyone does develop Magic Jizz, I'll happily pre-order some 🤣

• Like 1

Learn to double declutch, also a slower more delicate upshift may give the synchro cone more time to accelerate the 2nd gear to the mainshaft speed, try changing gear with the thumb and one forefinger only.

Each time it crunches, the teeth that engage the synchro hub with the gear wear a little more and eventually the car will have to be held in gear when accelerating, avoiding this by either/or delicate gearchanges & double declutching will allow you to continue with the vehicle for years.

Double declutching on upshifts is much easier to master than downshifting.