How good is the Octavia 1.0 TSI?

Robank

On 16/01/2021 at 14:53, Robank said:

Thanks for all the feed back, had a chat with Skoda (Glasgow) yesterday and I've been quoted 12 -15 weeks for delivery which is a long time for a 'standard car' .

I've been offered a fantastic trade in price for the Audi which will drop if I have to wait 15 weeks, so I'm looking at taking a 'in stock' car.

Unfortunately, there are no 1lt estates 'in stock' in the UK so it's looking like a 1.5 lt in metallic (black, blue, silver or grey).

Only challenge it's £50 per month more than I wanted to pay  (I know £50 is not a lot of money, however,  as it's a company car and  I do have budget constraints)   

If there are no 1lt estates in stock then that says it all!  Low demand?

Go for the 1.5 as that is meant to be which will have more than enough power - and more desirable in the future.

HI BA Baracus

Interesting that you had that thought also, having had a good read at the 1.5 lt reviews I think it's the way to go, it's basically the same engine that's in my current Audi so no drop off in performance.

Just need to get out of level 4 so I can have a test drive

I've driven the Fabia with the one litre engine when my car was in getting some work done on it. Most of the time it was absolutely fine and seemed reasonably economical too, main issue was when I took the car up a steep hill locally, even dropping down to third gear it struggled in a way that I can't remember any other car I've driven ever doing!

15 hours ago, e-Roottoot said:

@AllanDJ do you know if you had a Fabia courtesy car with the 110ps engine which is the most powerful they do or a 95ps one?   Often the courtesy car is a 95 ps model.  Are you sure it was a TSI and not a 1.0MPI you had?

Not really sure which one it was, probably the smallest, cheapest one the garage could get away with! I've not heard of the MPI engine, is that even less power than the 95ps TSI engine? Whatever engine was in that car, you just wouldn't want it if you're even a vaguely keen driver. I think it would be fine as a town/city car but would probably be unpleasant if you happened to be carrying any passengers or heavy luggage for longer distances.

I'm not the fastest driver in the world, all that I ask of any car that I have is a reasonable turn of speed if circumstances require it and I really don't expect to have to go up a hill in second gear that most cars would romp in third gear. That wee Fabia would have been a much nicer car to drive with something more powerful under the bonnet!

• Thanks 1

Driving a brand new 2020 Octavia Combi with the TSI 1.0 110HP.

Very impressed with performance, and fuel economy! 

It is indeed not my old S2000 or my 3-series bimmer handling-wise but it is very impressive otherwise. I am unsure if the Combi sized car would handle significantly better with the IRS suspension to warrant the price difference but for a daily driver the car is actually fun to drive for me. And I used to autocross small 2 seaters including a customized S2000 (280WHP) and a miata so I have an idea about decent handling. For a larger car like ours this handles quite well. 

But I have a family now etc. and my main priority now are: great consumption, decent performance, and great resale value (in that order). I had my fun a few years ago :)

Also where I live now, there are so many speed cameras that highway driving cannot be really that fun anymore. 

Minor issues i've had so far: 

1. the car is too new for the dealer to know how to enable Android Play option which exists on the 8" screen. They say I should be able to do that using the skoda app after march 2021. Anybody can help with this?

2. i can't seem to find any manuals online for this 1.0 TSI 2020 engine which may be a bit different from the older versions thereof. Anybody has any info on this?

Full disclaimer: I've had it for about 1000kms so far. Will report back later.

16 hours ago, e-Roottoot said:

The 1.0 MPI is a 3 cylinder engine with no turbo that you can get in a Mk3 Fabia and it has 60ps.

Well I looked it up and it certainly sounds like the culprit! The wee Fabia was comfortable enough but utterly gutless, it would be interesting to try a one litre Octavia next time I'm looking at changing my car to see how it performs.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, skodafan99 said:

Driving a brand new 2020 Octavia Combi with the TSI 1.0 110HP.

Very impressed with performance, and fuel economy! 

It is indeed not my old S2000 or my 3-series bimmer handling-wise but it is very impressive otherwise. I am unsure if the Combi sized car would handle significantly better with the IRS suspension to warrant the price difference but for a daily driver the car is actually fun to drive for me. And I used to autocross small 2 seaters including a customized S2000 (280WHP) and a miata so I have an idea about decent handling. For a larger car like ours this handles quite well. 

But I have a family now etc. and my main priority now are: great consumption, decent performance, and great resale value (in that order). I had my fun a few years ago :)

Also where I live now, there are so many speed cameras that highway driving cannot be really that fun anymore. 

Minor issues i've had so far: 

1. the car is too new for the dealer to know how to enable Android Play option which exists on the 8" screen. They say I should be able to do that using the skoda app after march 2021. Anybody can help with this?

2. i can't seem to find any manuals online for this 1.0 TSI 2020 engine which may be a bit different from the older versions thereof. Anybody has any info on this?

Full disclaimer: I've had it for about 1000kms so far. Will report back later.

Hi skodafan99

Thanks for the feedback, this was exactly the type of feedback that I was looking for, real life in the exact car 

I've booked a test drive with a 1lt in Glasgow as soon as lockdown eases, hopefully some time in February :)

They have offered me a fantastic trade in offer for my Audi so want to move this project on asap

Thanks again Rob

@Robank you might like to read the following Briskoda mk3 thread from a contributor in Finland who has now had two mk3 1.0tsi Octavia.

Replacing a 1.0 TSI with ... a 1.0 TSI :) - Skoda Octavia Mk III (2013 onward) - BRISKODA

I've only driven a 1.0tsi in a loan manual Fabia and was pretty impressed by what it offered in terms of the economy/performance/refinement balance. Definitely not a sports car but more than enough for daily driving and occasional overtaking.

Seeing as how you are in Scotland with many hills there is one aspect of the small VW turbo engines that you should at least be aware of and that is with regard the lack of engine braking available. When I drove our fully loaded Octavia with the larger 1.4tsi in the hills of Tasmania I was shocked at how much braking I had to do on comparatively shallow descents while the engine was in 2nd gear revving its nuts off contributing virtually nothing. Ascents of the same hills were a breeze.

Generally it's not a problem, even an advantage, as most of our local driving is on really flat land but I know it would get to me if I lived in hills. I'd probably look at getting a hybrid to store that braking energy if I did.

Interestingly we have the 95 in our 2018 polo and the 115 in the Octavia (Manual Polo and DSG Octavia). The engine is fine, I have had no issues with Overtaking, Ikea trips, holidays (not a fan of it in the polo for some reason  (torque curve feels different). Couple of work colleagues have some diesel A3's that strugle to keep up.

I'd definitely get another but have been able to get a Tesla Model 3 long range at nearly the same price.

@Laur, It was around 1 today and it took 5 minute or so to heat up.

I bought a new one in 2017 110 bhp dsg, it was lovely to drive I never found it lacking in power it was well able to overtake etc but it was very thirsty. Had it back with the dealer twice over this and when I'd get it back it would be fine for a few weeks and then the consumption would rise again. I think the 1.5 dsg would be a much nicer car. 

19 hours ago, j caff said:

I bought a new one in 2017 110 bhp dsg, it was lovely to drive I never found it lacking in power it was well able to overtake etc but it was very thirsty. Had it back with the dealer twice over this and when I'd get it back it would be fine for a few weeks and then the consumption would rise again. I think the 1.5 dsg would be a much nicer car. 

That is pretty weird.

Don't suppose they told you what they 'fixed' each time?

• 3 weeks later...