Satnav update - idiot guide!

Decided to try and update satnav on the car last night and now it’s not working.

Car is 2016 MIB2 system with original Skoda  16gb card.

Downloaded files, unzipped, format SD card, save to SD card.

When turning on Nav and inserting SD card error comes saying no map data.

Do I just start all the process again?

Original maps were ECE 2016 on SD card.

I suspect, but I may be wrong, that you've put the complete extracted folder onto your sd card instead of just the contents. If so, just reformat the card to FAT32 using a windows pc and only copy the folder named " maps " and the accompanying text file from inside your extracted folder onto your sd card and that should fix your issue.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, TrinityJay said:

I need to get this done myself. Is it absolutely essential that the SD card be this official Skoda card? My RS230 did not come with such a card and the maps are well out of date.

It's my understanding that it all depends on which infotainment is installed in your vehicle. If it's an Amundsen unit then it's essential that an official Skoda sd card is used and furthermore, the navigation map is continously read from the card so it won't work if the card is removed i.e. the card must be left in the unit continously. On the other hand, if it's a Colombus unit ( which it sounds as if yours is ) you can update the unit using any generic sd card and since the map is uploaded and saved on the actual unit itself it will then work without the sd card in place so you can therefore remove it. Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

I've had a search before and couldn't make heads nor tails of what is what :wacko: Also I'm the second owner of the car, so it may have come with a Skoda card originally but *I* do not have it if it did! Photo of my interior attached should that assist identification.

20200731_163055edit.thumb.jpg.21f034266d62da09582cb6cff9c056ff.jpg

I think maybe you’ve formatted the SD card incorrectly, so the system now can’t read the card. Did you backup the data before you reformatted it? The last load was working, so it isn’t the fact that it’s a non-Skoda card. You said you unzipped the downloaded package before saving to the SD card, so that’s good. If you had Columbus I think the nav system would just have kept on working and rejected the attempt to update. So best bet is to check what format you did on the card, try the alternative format, reload the new nav files and try again. If you have backed up the old load maybe try that again first.

Nice interior, but what we need to see, I believe, is just the head unit and the unit inside the glovebox.

Edited by Pilotguy
  • Thanks 1

That was just after a professional interior detail, after the selling dealership 'detail' left every surface sticky, greasy, or a disgusting combination of both. Picture of glovebox unit attached :) System information screen lists hardware as H50, software as 0702 if that's at all helpful.

20210119_123915.thumb.jpg.56dc2654d7ebe66eefd26ac620757f68.jpg

4 hours ago, TrinityJay said:

Think I've worked it out now :) I found https://updateportal.skoda-auto.com/, plugged my VIN in and it said I have Columbus. Downloaded update, which is currently (very slowly) installing. About half way done, will finish it off on the drive to work in the AM. 

I always get my update files from the VW portal. Just put in Golf Mk7 and your cars year, so long as the files you choose are for Discovery Pro The Skoda ones will be the same under the skin, though. Yours does look like a Columbus, wits the same as mine, at least. The experts on here can tell which for sure from the code when you go into System Information. Have a look on the Upgrading the Infotainment System thread.

This is my Columbus system:

B095776C-B551-4CFE-BEF8-55D0C588F9D7.thumb.jpeg.f930e124ab587e8dce53ceff964dd9ad.jpeg

Dear all

Happy to assist if you have problems updating your maps.

In Summary, most MK3's onwards who have a Columbus or Amunsden (with Navigation) system - will have free map updates available to them.

1) Go to https://updateportal.skoda-auto.com/

2) Type in your VIN number - you can find that number either on a servicing invoice or more easily on the bottom left hand side of your windscreen.

3) Most folk (unless they have an early MIB1 - 2013->2015) - will have an 16G card - that currently should be enough to store the whole of Europe maps on them.

4) The maps you are looking for are the ECE A1 maps - for those with the smaller capacity SD Card [8GB], you may need the A5 or A7 maps (which is a smaller subset maps) - chose your map areas appropriately.

5) You will need 7z decoder.  These are free to download.

6) Put your SD Card into your PC.  If you have a Mac; there are cavaats on decompressing files.  See the updateportal for details.

7) Delete the files on the SD.  You don't need to format it.

8) Take the contents of the folder [if you click into the file, you will find a folder marked MAPS - it is this folder you need to copy to your SD Card].

9) Wait until competely downloaded.  Could take 30-40 mins to complete.

10) Unmount/Eject the SD Card and plug it back into SD Card Slot 1.

11) Boot up MIB system, go to Maps and make sure you can read the maps.  Going into Settings [in Nav] and then Version Information - shows you have the latest map info

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Pilotguy said:

This is my Columbus system:

Yup - you have 2020 maps.  There are 2021 maps available.  Please see the ICE and Car Entertainment system for your Columbus MIB system.

Belated update- Update finished in the AM, but stayed stuck at 100%. Had to leave it as I had just pulled up at work. When I got back in the afternoon the update had restarted itself automatically and was at 27% or so. I waited for it to finish once home and it gave me the error message many seem to get, but after backing out of that screen the update had indeed taken.

On 20/01/2021 at 01:48, varaderoguy said:

8) Take the contents of the folder [if you click into the file, you will find a folder marked MAPS - it is this folder you need to copy to your SD Card].

Didn't see any such folder personally, I had /Mib1, /Mib2 and a text file.

The folder structure may be slightly different for a Columbus system. Apologies, my instructions are more Amunsden orientated. For the Columbus system, you copy those folders to your SD card.

1 hour ago, varaderoguy said:

For the Columbus system, you copy those folders to your SD card.

Yep, that's what i did. Transcend MicroSD in an adaptor, formatted as exFAT. Funnily enough in the process of dicking about with this I realised my older phone *does* support Android Auto, so I'll probably use that going forward! Lacks the dashboard display directions which is a shame, but Google Maps is otherwise pretty good.

• Like 1

Glad that you've managed to make the update work now @TrinityJay

I've set Android Auto to automatically come on when my "older" Android phone (OnePlus 6T; AV 10) connects to my Octavia's Bluetooth. Like you say though @TrinityJay, no dashboard display but simpler layout on the phone, which can be voice-controlled.

On 18/01/2021 at 21:07, bigade1 said:

I suspect, but I may be wrong, that you've put the complete extracted folder onto your sd card instead of just the contents. If so, just reformat the card to FAT32 using a windows pc and only copy the folder named " maps " and the accompanying text file from inside your extracted folder onto your sd card and that should fix your issue.

All sorted now thanks. I was being an idiot and just copying everything over. Suppose it doesn’t help when I did my backup on my sons Windows laptop and it needs clearing due to a windows update stuck in 92%.

One good thing was I managed to sort out my electric seats memory function,which wasn’t working due to basic settings needed doing.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello.

I am attempting to update my MIB2 maps for the first time and thought you can use the SD2 card slot for this, but it leaves me with a couple of questions.  If you do put the updates on to a spare SDHC card, does that have to be permanently left in the slot to Amundsen to read?  Is this why its better to update the original Skoda SD1 card?

Also, do you format the SDHC card to NTFS or FAT32, this being the SD2 card not the SD1 Skoda card?

It also looks as though you can update the maps 'online', but I haven't got a clue how to.  Any ideas?

Thanks

1 hour ago, ChrisCrash said:

Hello.

I am attempting to update my MIB2 maps for the first time and thought you can use the SD2 card slot for this, but it leaves me with a couple of questions.  If you do put the updates on to a spare SDHC card, does that have to be permanently left in the slot to Amundsen to read?  Is this why its better to update the original Skoda SD1 card?

Also, do you format the SDHC card to NTFS or FAT32, this being the SD2 card not the SD1 Skoda card?

It also looks as though you can update the maps 'online', but I haven't got a clue how to.  Any ideas?

Thanks

With the Amundsen unit only an official Skoda card will work and it has to be left permanently in the SD1 or SD2 slot for the Amundsen to continually read the map from the card. On the other hand, things are completely different with the Columbus unit as any spare sd card can be used and the map is then uploaded and stored on the actual unit allowing you to remove the card as it is then not needed. So, as you have an Amundsen, you will have to use your original Skoda card. Copy everything off the card to your pc as a back up just in case anything goes wrong. Format your Skoda card to FAT32 go to  http://updateportal.skoda-auto.com/?appVIN=&appLanguage=en-GB and enter your VIN and you will be offered map updates. Choose your map and download it to your pc. Once it has been downloaded you then extract ( unzip ) it. Open the newly extracted folder until you see a folder named " maps " and a text file. Copy the " maps " folder and text file onto your empty Skoda card and then place the Skoda card into your SD1 or SD2 slot. Job done.  

• Like 2

Many thanks for the clarification - the Portal is a little light on these instructions!

I will 'suck it and see', but do you really have to format the card to FAT32 or just delete the old files from the Skoda card?

1 hour ago, ChrisCrash said:

Many thanks for the clarification - the Portal is a little light on these instructions!

I will 'suck it and see', but do you really have to format the card to FAT32 or just delete the old files from the Skoda card?

I just delete.

13 hours ago, ChrisCrash said:

I use quick format - it's quicker than delete.

• 2 years later...
On 19/01/2021 at 14:48, varaderoguy said:

Dear all

Happy to assist if you have problems updating your maps.

In Summary, most MK3's onwards who have a Columbus or Amunsden (with Navigation) system - will have free map updates available to them.

1) Go to https://updateportal.skoda-auto.com/

2) Type in your VIN number - you can find that number either on a servicing invoice or more easily on the bottom left hand side of your windscreen.

3) Most folk (unless they have an early MIB1 - 2013->2015) - will have an 16G card - that currently should be enough to store the whole of Europe maps on them.

4) The maps you are looking for are the ECE A1 maps - for those with the smaller capacity SD Card [8GB], you may need the A5 or A7 maps (which is a smaller subset maps) - chose your map areas appropriately.

5) You will need 7z decoder.  These are free to download.

6) Put your SD Card into your PC.  If you have a Mac; there are cavaats on decompressing files.  See the updateportal for details.

7) Delete the files on the SD.  You don't need to format it.

😎 Take the contents of the folder [if you click into the file, you will find a folder marked MAPS - it is this folder you need to copy to your SD Card].

9) Wait until competely downloaded.  Could take 30-40 mins to complete.

10) Unmount/Eject the SD Card and plug it back into SD Card Slot 1.

11) Boot up MIB system, go to Maps and make sure you can read the maps.  Going into Settings [in Nav] and then Version Information - shows you have the latest map info

Thanks for this - helped me out this week!  I've now got a fresh map update thanks to this and one other post.

On 22/02/2021 at 23:22, bigade1 said:

With the Amundsen unit only an official Skoda card will work and it has to be left permanently in the SD1 or SD2 slot for the Amundsen to continually read the map from the card. On the other hand, things are completely different with the Columbus unit as any spare sd card can be used and the map is then uploaded and stored on the actual unit allowing you to remove the card as it is then not needed. So, as you have an Amundsen, you will have to use your original Skoda card. Copy everything off the card to your pc as a back up just in case anything goes wrong. Format your Skoda card to FAT32 go to  http://updateportal.skoda-auto.com/?appVIN=&appLanguage=en-GB and enter your VIN and you will be offered map updates. Choose your map and download it to your pc. Once it has been downloaded you then extract ( unzip ) it. Open the newly extracted folder until you see a folder named " maps " and a text file. Copy the " maps " folder and text file onto your empty Skoda card and then place the Skoda card into your SD1 or SD2 slot. Job done.  

This helped clarify things for me this week - thanks!