Cam Belt change....

Octavia 1.6Tdi registered December 2016..... current mileage 56,800, so just 4 years old.  I seem to find conflicting info about when my cam belt should be changed and also whether the water pump should be done at the same time???

Advice/experiences from other owners appreciated,

Thanks

12 hours ago, SonicBlue said:

Octavia 1.6Tdi registered December 2016..... current mileage 56,800, so just 4 years old.  I seem to find conflicting info about when my cam belt should be changed and also whether the water pump should be done at the same time???

Advice/experiences from other owners appreciated,

Thanks

The interval is 140,000. I had mine done at 133k but I’m not leaving but that long again. It will be changed again at 200k. Thus I’d probably recommend 100k. 

Thanks for all the replies, I read all the previous comments/ threads. 

Local dealerships still didn't agree so...

Today I called the dealership I bought the car from (not close by) and they confirmed read directly Skoda's  main scheduling intranet "5 years or 140,000 miles which ever comes first", so it seems the local dealership were trying to  get me in a year too early!!!  The service manager also said they are still having problems with potential leaks from the water pumps at around this age so they inspect them when they strip down and advise the customers depending on condition.  When the time comes I'm still tempted to change it to mitigate the cost of labour if it goes in the couple of years following.

The whole cambelt debate.  Earlier Mk3 cars - definately do at 60k/5 years - waterpump.  Later MK3/FL cars - you can leave it for 120k miles, but I wouldn't want to risk it.

• Like 3

I have a 2016 Octavia with 48k miles on the clock. Called my local indy Skoda garage and was told it is definitly every 5 years. Advised that the 2016 model has an electric water pump {no idea}, thus, more expensive - quoted £490 for the cambelt & pump replacement. I will ring around for a couple of more quotes.

That's a new one.  Electric Waterpump.  Errr - no - its belt driven - ie mechanically driven.

Would avoid places that try to B/S you like that - if they are trying to extract more money from you at the outset, what's their service going to be like?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, varaderoguy said:

That's a new one.  Electric Waterpump.  Errr - no - its belt driven - ie mechanically driven.

Would avoid places that try to B/S you like that - if they are trying to extract more money from you at the outset, what's their service going to be like?

Thank you @varaderoguy - I'll be sure to ring around!

7 hours ago, LLCC1975 said:

I have a 2016 Octavia with 48k miles on the clock. Called my local indy Skoda garage and was told it is definitly every 5 years. Advised that the 2016 model has an electric water pump {no idea}, thus, more expensive - quoted £490 for the cambelt & pump replacement. I will ring around for a couple of more quotes.

The car actually has three water pumps. There's the traditional water pump which turns with the timing belt and an electronic one at the front, I'm not sure where the third one is. I've had to change two. The electronic one cost me £100 to replace, the pump itself was £85 and took the mechanic 10 minutes. 

7 hours ago, varaderoguy said:

There definately is an electronic coolant pump in addition to the belt driven pump. As above, mine's lodged a fault code so I had it replaced...turned out it was a broken wire as the code came back. It's commonly known as coolant pump B and the fault code is P261a. You're correct in saying that they're trying to bull**** him as that one obviously won't need changed.

14 minutes ago, gm73 said:

The car actually has three water pumps. There's the traditional water pump which turns with the timing belt and an electronic one at the front, I'm not sure where the third one is. I've had to change two. The electronic one cost me £100 to replace, the pump itself was £85 and took the mechanic 10 minutes. 

There definately is an electronic coolant pump in addition to the belt driven pump. As above, mine's lodged a fault code so I had it replaced...turned out it was a broken wire as the code came back. It's commonly known as coolant pump B and the fault code is P261a. You're correct in saying that they're trying to bull**** him as that one obviously won't need changed.

On a standard cam belt change, which of the pumps are changed? Or is it all of them?

1 minute ago, LLCC1975 said:

On a standard cam belt change, which of the pumps are changed? Or is it all of them?

Belt driven waterpump. I had my cambelt and waterpump changed by a local independent garage for £350. Make sure they use Gates which is the same as the original belt. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, gm73 said:

Belt driven waterpump. I had my cambelt and waterpump changed by a local independent garage for £350. Make sure they use Gates which is the same as the original belt. 

:thumbup: Thank you, for clarifying. I thought £490 seemed steep!

• 2 years later...
11 minutes ago, Brian15 said:

I know the chances are low when a cambelt snaps but what chance if any do I have that it’s just purely belt replacement and no other damage to engine ? 

Zero….

• Like 3
  • Sad 1