Octy Broken .... grrrrrrrrrr!

******!

Parts under the bonnet must be able to withstand a certain amount water without ingress to the components, they are after all for use in an outside environment. If something shorted out, to my mind it must be a manufacturing defect, possibly a poor seal on a component or suchlike.

Neil

Is there anything in the manual regarding the cleaning of the engine bay, If it says don't you are scre1ed but if not then surely you where just trying to maintain the vehicle? Personally I never do under bonnet other than with a damp cloth, but I'm lazy :lol: what had you been doing to require a full clean so quick :eek:

How much is the part costing, would have thought they'd at least meet you half way, ie you pay labour? Is this another eg of VAG clamping down on warrenty issues?

you have pm

If the relay is under the steering wheel how can washing the engine bay cause any damage?

Or is the relay actually within the engine bay itself?

the relay is in the steering column somewhere apparantly Adrian...

And it's really not like the engine bay was soaked and dripping water, add to that the fact that after I washed, cleaned and polished it I drove it for 20 odd miles then came back and parked it up on my driveway which slopes downhill. It was around 8hrs after washing it that the fault occured.....

Did the recovery bloke make any comment on the job sheet to the effect of 'evidence of excess water (/flood damage) in the engine bay or unable to repair due to water damage ?

Shirly if it had been wet enough to make bits fo the electrics explode, then there would have been some signs of it.

It seems hard to belive that hand washing or spraying the engine compartment is going to provide significantly more water in the engine bay than driving up the M1 on a typical British bank holiday ;-)

Did the recovery bloke make any comment on the job sheet to the effect of 'evidence of excess water (/flood damage) in the engine bay or unable to repair due to water damage ?

Shirly if it had been wet enough to make bits fo the electrics explode' date=' then there would have been some signs of it.

It seems hard to belive that hand washing or spraying the engine compartment is going to provide significantly more water in the engine bay than driving up the M1 on a typical British bank holiday ;-)[/quote']

Nope, nothing noted on the aa report and he only mentioned that the engine was nice and clean, dealer asked if I had washed / cleaned the engine bay out as they don't do it on new car prep and noticed mine was very clean and shiny.

I think someone is trying it on personally, am going to give SUKCS (wow) a call this week myself and get it from the horses mouth as it where

Most people will tell you how much water gets under there when you drive the car in heavy rain.

The dealer is taking the ****, if they won't fix it i would reject the car as unfit for purpose if they havn't said anything about don't wash under the engine bay as you are doing what is normal for a car.

Most people will tell you how much water gets under there when you drive the car in heavy rain.

The dealer is taking the ****' date=' if they won't fix it i would reject the car as unfit for purpose if they havn't said anything about don't wash under the engine bay as you are doing what is normal for a car.[/quote']

Agreed! Sale of Goods Act. If somethng that bad had happened to either of my Skodas that early on, and been dealt with that poorly, I would reject it out of hand. - In fact I'm not sure I'd have accepted a replacement. I'd be sitting there on the M25 wondering when it would next happen.

All sorted

The dealer spoke to SUK again and I spoke to them also, there was no "noted" signs of excessive water ingress so all costs have been dropped.

I have made a complaint to SUK about the Skoda Assistance (AA) guy's attitude towards the Hire car which stranded me on the initial fault occurence and I will let you know how that go's.

The dealer have been pretty good through this and there really appears to have been some ducking and diving by SUK which I am not happy with. Cars back, and with cruise fitted so I am happy, but it has put a huge dent in my confidence with Skoda so come the end of this Octy I will be looking to another marque I think.

The fault was with a 20A fuse located under the steering column that had blown.

Fluff

Have a read of page 238 of the New Octavia Owner's Manual which mentions the need to clean the engine compartment before and after the (winter) salt spreading period and treat with preservatives in order to prevent the salt from being destructive.

I can sympathise - having had electrical problems about 8 weeks into my Skoda Octavia II ownership.

I had the same car hire problems - I was told that Skoda don't supply hire cars for

1) breakdowns at home or

2) breakdowns at a weekend or

3) until the dealer provides a definitive diagnosis of the problem.

My fault was eventually traced to a faulty break pedal switch. And the same part failed iagain about 3 months later - again at home, again at a weekend and therefore (again) unable to get a hire car.

But, if anyone at Skoda is reading this - I am having the last laugh.

So far I have put two of my clients off from buying a Skoda - I wouldn't wish a Skoda on my worst enemy, let alone a client. One went to a 12 month old X type and the other to a new Mondeo. Maybe the person who manages Skoda Customer disservices is on the payroll at Ford???

Dodegy electrics and you got them to buy fords???:eek:

My dad had a mondeo as a hire car and while puleed in toget fuel was told by another motorist the break lights were not working. He decided to have a quick look to see if he could spot the problem. Preety easy to daignose - no one had ran any wires to the rear lights. Left hire car in petrol station and got train home.:thumbdwn:

Just goes to show all brands have problems especially so the more complicated the cars get.

I didn't get them to buy Fords.

Lets be clear - I have no problem whatsoever with a car breaking down - it is a complicated bit of kit.

What i do expect for my