mk3 5e Battery

Which battery do these cars come with as standard?

I've only had my VRS 230 a week now, and was surprised to see a Yuasa 9000 in the engine bay: https://www.yuasa.co.uk/ybx9096.html

Considering the car is only 4 years old, I'm equally surprised that the battery has needed replacing.

I'm sure it would have come with a battery made for 'start-stop', as this one is, but possibly a Varta, or something similar?
Is it common for the battery to be replaced within 4 years?

battery.jpg

There was also a reportedly duff batch of Moll batteries too, which might coincide with the year of your vRS.

Gaz

I have a 2018 Octavia Scout which had its battery replaced under warranty during its 2 year service. I hadn’t experienced  any problems with the battery so I guess they replaced it knowing that it was going to be problematic.

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/03/2021 at 17:46, Micky 32 said:

My 4 year old start/stop AGM battery is down to 40-44% health already. 

How do you check this?

The method for holding down the 'reset' button under the maxidot doesn't seem to work on my car. It allows me to reset the oil service etc, but the battery doesn't even come up in the display?

I replaced the Varta AGM battery on my car after about 3.5 years and 120k miles. Now have a Yuasa AGM, £140 supplied and fitted which is now 2.5 years old and has seen 70k miles and still holds 90% charge.

the thing with batteries is how they're used. If you're making a lot of short journeys and or using a lot of the electrical 'bits', then that will causing a lot of wear to the battery. IIRC it's only when the engine gets up to proper temperature does the alternator start to charge the battery properly. That'll usually be around 13.3v and then it'll raise to around 14.4v when you're slowing down.

The tranny vans in our work chew through batteries, mainly because fleet stopped equipping them with 2, but because we do a lot of short trips and then have an inverter charging all sorts of work gear. The last van I drove had a new battery fitted and within a couple of weeks, the stop start stopped working.

I've got a 2016 1.6 tdi. Car came with a moll battery from factory and was knackered about 3 months before the end of the 3 year warranty. Apparently there was a service bulletin about a duff batch and when I asked Skoda about it they replaced it under warranty with a Yuasa one I think. It's been fine ever since, although the first thing I do before driving is turn off the stop start as it's a pain in the ass coupled with the DSG when pulling out at roundabouts etc 😁

2 hours ago, Piescoffer said:

I've got a 2016 1.6 tdi. Car came with a moll battery from factory and was knackered about 3 months before the end of the 3 year warranty. Apparently there was a service bulletin about a duff batch and when I asked Skoda about it they replaced it under warranty with a Yuasa one I think. It's been fine ever since, although the first thing I do before driving is turn off the stop start as it's a pain in the ass coupled with the DSG when pulling out at roundabouts etc 😁

That would make sense of why mine came with a Yuasa. Thanks.

That 'Start/Stop' is the first thing I turn off too, I hate it, wish I could disable it permanently (or at least through Amundsen).

On 25/03/2021 at 00:08, Noms said:

How do you check this?

The method for holding down the 'reset' button under the maxidot doesn't seem to work on my car. It allows me to reset the oil service etc, but the battery doesn't even come up in the display?

Hi Noms, you will need to use a battery test meter to check condition (after a full charge) NB. due to energy recuperation system, you will normally find the vehicles alternator will only charge battery to approx. 75% max.

It seems that Skoda discontinued the Maxidot battery SOC function before MY16  

• Like 1

On 25/03/2021 at 17:19, tunedude said:

the thing with batteries is how they're used. If you're making a lot of short journeys and or using a lot of the electrical 'bits', then that will causing a lot of wear to the battery. IIRC it's only when the engine gets up to proper temperature does the alternator start to charge the battery properly. That'll usually be around 13.3v and then it'll raise to around 14.4v when you're slowing down.

The alternator usually runs at 14.something volts from startup until it's happy with the state of the battery, when it will drop to 13.something volts. Under engine braking it will rise back above 14 V to continue charging the battery.

• Like 1

On 25/03/2021 at 23:50, Noms said:

That would make sense of why mine came with a Yuasa. Thanks.

That 'Start/Stop' is the first thing I turn off too, I hate it, wish I could disable it permanently (or at least through Amundsen).

If someone by you has a VCDS or equivalent tool, stop start is able to be permanently disabled.

6 hours ago, peter3197 said:

Can anyone tell me if that Yuasa battery is suitable for my 2016 1.4tsi sel? 

any 096 agm batteries are suitable for the octavia.