HAD ENOUGH

1 hour ago, Aarond said:

I'm not sure what model you're looking for @OctaviaFirstEdit but my face lift MK 3 vRS goes back to my local dealer in May as part-ex, and your signature suggests you're in east mids. If you were in the market for a black petrol vRS estate, then that's a good one to look for! 

Asv a matter of interest, what are you part exing for?

@OctaviaFirstEdit another petrol vRS, meteor grey and just DCC as an add on. As we're in danger of hijacking the thread: I've read a lot of the posts from you guys who have just had **** experiences, both from your supplying dealers and from Skoda themselves; enough worry to affect sleep I bet! I hope you all get your situations resolved. Due to lack of action from most dealers I've read about or Skoda themselves means you guys have to continue being bold and pester folk until you get some sort of resolution. 

Ordered my 1.5 TSi e-tec at beginning of march and got it in the middle of April. 

No issues so far, but a couple of annoying things:

DCC doesn't remember the last selected setting. 

Clima doesn't remember the AirCare setting, so I need to re-enable it every single time. 

Temp control with two fingers on the volume slider (Columbus) works only in clima menu which is stupid. 

I did the first over-the-air update, is there another one that only the dealer can install?

My update after 1400km:

-only real issue i have had so far-  home button not working, stopped the car, locked unlocked and it fixed that.

-my key saves my seat position, meaning memory button does not need to be pressed, however other key seems not to work same way,. my woman needs to press seat memory to get it in its place, that might be our error, but that is not something very annoying 

=============

+found easy the way how to disable lane assist, there is button on steering wheel...so two clicks and its off, that 'feature' is annoying while in city

+created my individual mode, where i can have fake sound off, normal steering and sport everything else, obviously that needs to be selected every time i start the car

+wireless android works perfect for me, connecting every time, 

+really like mirror auto adjusting when reversing, this to work dial needs to be on R, fyi(it goes back to normal position)

+fuel consumption is very good, as of now we are averaging 8.6l/100km and i am driving it pretty hard, did couple times 200km/h and some rolling drag in city :D
+love the boot space, easy can fit to bicycles there(removing front tire)

==========

It would be perfect car if it would save driving mode, but that's not up to Skoda, and if it would be all wheel drive, so that there is more grip in first gear.

Not sure how you guys have all these issues.

9 hours ago, janis said:

Not sure how you guys have all these issues.

So good to hear you are enjoying your car and it’s working well for you.

Most of the issues we’ve got are with early builds of U.K. market cars.

Perhaps we should have ditched Brexit, started driving on the right hand side of the road and using Kms not miles 😂

• Haha 1

• 3 years later...

I’m looking at a mk4 VRS estate to replace our Passat, a couple of questions for those who posted earlier in this thread and hopefully still have their cars! 

- for early cars, have software updates cured or improved the frustrations? 
- have later cars cured or improved the frustrations? 

Thanks. 

26 minutes ago, HughGabriel said:

I’m looking at a mk4 VRS estate to replace our Passat, a couple of questions for those who posted earlier in this thread and hopefully still have their cars! 

Thanks. 

I took the same path in September 2020. I traded in my Passat for an Octavia IV Combi. Mechanically the car is sound and I enjoy driving it. The infotainment System gave continual trouble for the first 3 years. Following the installation of a replacement Coms Unit and especially following software update SW 1491 - all is now good. My experience of Skoda Support over that period was ‘mixed’. It may  come down to the quality of your local Service Agent. If you are happy with the deal offered it is advisable to  check the service records to see which electronic components have been swapped out and  also to check that the installed software is SW 1491 or higher. 

• Like 2

My 2021 First Edition is now completely fine. It has been a difficult journey to get to this point with the car going into the dealer numerous times and many conversations with the Skoda Executive Office. All of my issues were fixed by software updates, and Skoda investigating different methods of applying those updates.

Unfortunately it seems all dealers have to go through the same process involving running a diagnostic, sending it off to Skoda Technical, then awaiting a response and being told what updates they can / cannot apply. It's frustrating as Skoda UK know exactly what the issues are, and what software versions are required to take an early car from having many software issues to no issues at all. Yet it still seems owners are having the same issues with the dealers.

We've seen a few members join recently who've purchased 2nd hand early cars, where the issues have not been resolved by the previous owner who are getting the same run-around by the dealers. It does seem the dealers hands are tied on the process they have to follow.

It is a shame that lessons aren't being learned by Skoda UK on this particular problem.

I think if you're looking to purchase an early car I would have a read through the forum on the common threads regarding the "Pop, Pop SOS" issues, infotainment issues and climate issues, etc. All can be fixed with software updates. If the car is on early versions of the software insist it's updated before taking delivery.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HughGabriel said:

Thanks. 

Yes, there are fixes for the issues in earlier cars, I've lost count of the number of hardware and software updates mine has had! But as @PoloPaul mentions after the update to SW 1941 all is good. The version prior to that had some issues (repeated reboots of the infotainment system); other than that mine has been fine for quite a while.

The challenge is making sure that ALL the possible updates are applied to the particular vehicle you're interested in. Building good rapport with the local dealer Service Dept is useful essential in this regard. I got very close to the point of rejecting mine but it was the rapport with the service dept that helped me through - and I'm very pleased I stuck with it. It's a very practical, comfortable and economic car. I love it.

There are others here in the Mk4 forum with recent cars which don't have the issues of earlier builds - other than needing the update to SW1941.

Thus I reckon you can be confident the car will be fine subject to the updates being applied.

• Like 3

Thanks @PoloPaul, @JamesK, and @SteveTheElder.  It’s reassuring to know the earlier cars can be made good!  If a car has 1941 or 1969 does that mean all issues should be sorted, or can the infotainment be updated to these leaving other issues behind?

30 minutes ago, HughGabriel said:

Thanks @PoloPaul, @JamesK, and @SteveTheElder.  It’s reassuring to know the earlier cars can be made good!  If a car has 1941 or 1969 does that mean all issues should be sorted, or can the infotainment be updated to these leaving other issues behind?

It depends if you still have the pop pop issue then you may need to visit a dealer for a hardware and software/firmware update. 

If you have a lower numbered software/firmware revision (see the necessary threads for the revision numbers) then you need to have a visit to get a software/firmware revision done there as you may brick or damage your infotainment system permanently. 

New vehicles seem to have suffered far less than early aka 1st editions.

However reading some posters still report that there are a few issues with 1941 & 1969 software/firmware revisions, which may well be down to hardware issues. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HughGabriel said:

For the first batch of cars (2020, early 2021) not all problems are solved. And I suspect there is no solution at all, since hardware is very old and there might be no even a possibility to update it. I wouldn't go for a car with H56 no matter on which SW it is running.

Also pay attention that there are faulty DSG selectors and it is a costly replacement if wasn't done. As well as possibly a bunch of mechanical issues, like many people reported left shocks dying early (in my case in Spain it costs 750 to change a pair).

• Like 1

Thank you both, I will research H56 because I don’t know what that is!

9 hours ago, HughGabriel said:

Thanks. 

Still have my 2021 vRS, only needed software updates (no hardware). All working fine and as intended; with earlier gremlins sorted. I'll probably keep the car tbh, don't feel like I want to chop it in for a new model 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HughGabriel said:

The SW could be updated to 1941 or later without the SOS module - but not all cars have had that issue. I guess there was a dodgy batch of units that got installed in some cars whilst good units got built in to others on a parallel build track.

Mine has hardware H56 and is fine, performance of the Infotainment system is good too, was notably/frustratingly slow early on, seems the Škoda code writers found a way of streamlining it. Make sure that all this tech stuff is covered by the warranty, which IIRC it will be with an Škoda Approved Used vehicle - but you'd best check rather than take my word for it.

10 hours ago, SteveTheElder said:

The SW could be updated to 1941 or later without the SOS module - but not all cars have had that issue. I guess there was a dodgy batch of units that got installed in some cars whilst good units got built in to others on a parallel build track.

Mine has hardware H56 and is fine, performance of the Infotainment system is good too, was notably/frustratingly slow early on, seems the Škoda code writers found a way of streamlining it. Make sure that all this tech stuff is covered by the warranty, which IIRC it will be with an Škoda Approved Used vehicle - but you'd best check rather than take my word for it.

Like the Travel Assist fault where they replaced steering wheels, Skoda dealers were instructed to replace faulty SOS modules. However, like the Travel Assist issue eventually they came up with a software update. They no longer replace them, instead there is an OCU (SOS module) update.

It's also worth noting that if you have the Canton sound system, the amplifier needs a software update. In cars with or without an OCU, you can get similar "pop pop" noises plus complete sound drop outs until the entire car goes through a cold boot. I actually think this particular issue is the 'real' reason why the Canton option disappeared in 2022 and 2023 - not component shortages.

A similar issue is the climate sync issue. If you don't get the climatronic module updated, then it doesn't matter what software your infotainment unit is on you'll still get issues with those specific functions until that module is updated.

See my post on the 1969 update thread for screenshots of snippets from the relevant TPIs: 

14 hours ago, SteveTheElder said:

Make sure that all this tech stuff is covered by the warranty, which IIRC it will be with an Škoda Approved Used vehicle - but you'd best check rather than take my word for it.

The Skoda Approved Used Car Warranty does not include software and, I assume, firmware updates which, considering how reliant modern cars are on software, is rather disappointing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spcdust said:

The Skoda Approved Used Car Warranty does not include software and, I assume, firmware updates which, considering how reliant modern cars are on software, is rather disappointing.

Thanks for clarifying that

It's just a way for them to bill 💵 us.

'yeah sorry mate, it's just modern cars, it's all software now'

They just build in these faults to milk us 😂