Touchscreen not working

Sorry if this has already been posted before.

Driving to work this morning the touchscreen wasn't working, the backlight was on but nothing was showing on the screen.

I tried the following:

1) switching the engine off and on

2) tried powering the screen off and on

I have just been out and checked and it is now working fine, is this a standard gremlin?

1 hour ago, fossman said:

Sorry if this has already been posted before.

Driving to work this morning the touchscreen wasn't working, the backlight was on but nothing was showing on the screen.

I tried the following:

1) switching the engine off and on

2) tried powering the screen off and on

I have just been out and checked and it is now working fine, is this a standard gremlin?

it can be, anytime issues arise press and hold power till it reboots, usually fixa the issue

Last night I collected my Tesco order from the click and collect. The engine was off for about 5 minutes and when I restarted it there was no life from the display. This meant that the parking camera and sensors weren’t on either. This morning it all seemed fine again! 

There seems constant issues with the infotainment system that renders the car at best an inconvenience, at worst dangerous.  On one the other topics (the KPH/MPH one), a few others have started to email Honest John with some of these issues that we feel Skoda should be doing more to resolve.  The more of us who contact them on the same issue, the greater the chance we will get some positive response.  If it weren't for these software issues, the car can be considered to be pretty good.   Please email your issues.  Thank-you.

With the screen not working, other than the entertainment functions not working I was unable to switch off the A/C (it was still set to LO from my previous drive), the front brake assist was not functioning and my rear parking sensors were not working.

• 2 years later...

I’ve had occasional problems with the infotainment screen ranging from touch not working to touch calibration randomly going wonky.  I’ve just fixed (from a powered on status) by holding down the power button knob for about 10 secs which seems to initiate a reboot and the skoda splash screen appears / all was well after that.

Advanced switching it off and on again. :-)

• 2 months later...

I have a 2021 Octavia, which has had some minor gremlins thus far. However, now the touchscreen has started to freeze completely, rendering radio, aircon, reversing sensors and more completely inoperable. Switching off and then on again doesn't work. Not a big problem on short runs, but on longer trips - especially those when you're not familiar with the route, or when there are extremes of temperature outside - it's not good enough. Going in for resolution in due course, but am running out of patience (not to mention confidence) with the infotainment system. A real shame, as the rest of the car is great.

Has your car had all the software updates at the dealers?

My car was fine after the updates.

A friend did suggest the issue was because I wasn't starting the car properly.

You should push the button to turn the ignition on, then press the clutch in and press the button again.

I was just pressing the clutch in and pushing the button.

Edited by fossman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fossman said:

I was just pressing the clutch in and pushing the button.

That’s exactly what I’ve done pretty much I’ve started mine for the last three years.

• Like 1

Thanks for your input. Hopefully if it's just an update required that will get done when Skoda have the car in. Why it's not updated OTA I'm not sure. I'll go check what version I have.

Regarding starting the car, I'd be very surprised if that has any impact on this infotainment issue, as the problem first kicked in about an hour into our journey. More often than not I do press the button to get the ignition on, put my seatbelt on, then depress the clutch and start up. I couldn't swear to having done that 100% of the time though.

16 minutes ago, Rad1sh said:

Thanks for your input. Hopefully if it's just an update required that will get done when Skoda have the car in. Why it's not updated OTA I'm not sure. I'll go check what version I have.

Regarding starting the car, I'd be very surprised if that has any impact on this infotainment issue, as the problem first kicked in about an hour into our journey. More often than not I do press the button to get the ignition on, put my seatbelt on, then depress the clutch and start up. I couldn't swear to having done that 100% of the time though.

Unless you specifically request the dealer to do a software update they are unlikely to do it as a matter of course.  Even when you do request them to do it many dealers seem reluctant and spin a load of BS that they are unable to perform the update therefore you literally have to insist and check the software version when you collect the car as they'll tell you they have when they blatantly haven't.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spcdust said:

Unless you specifically request the dealer to do a software update they are unlikely to do it as a matter of course.  Even when you do request them to do it many dealers seem reluctant and spin a load of BS that they are unable to perform the update therefore you literally have to insist and check the software version when you collect the car as they'll tell you they have when they blatantly haven't.

Thanks for the warning, just taken a photo of version information👍