Which skoda

Hi guys after 30 yrs of Volvos we changed to a smaller car about 4 yrs ago. My wife drives the car through the week and I drive it at weekend, doing less than 5k per year.

she only drives automatics and we currently have a Ford Fusion with the durashift gearbox of which I’m not a fan.( jerky)

I suffer with a bad back so low cars with short doors like a 1 series bmw are difficult for me access wise.

Looking to spend around 2k but would go to 5k for the right example.

In my mind I have Octavia, yeti or rapid

TIA

Welcome to the forum.

The Yeti is the car that is easy in and easy out and you might find a 1.2 TSI DSG.

Asking prices are at around £5,500 for a 2011 car.  You might get one at the £5,000 or a bit less.

A Skoda Roomster might be a good bet. 

There are some nice ones advertised at around the £2,000 mark.   It is Easy in and Easy out and has good room.

the petrol 1.2 TSI has a 7 speed twin dry clutch DSG that has no service schedule for oil changes,

or there are earlier ones with a petrol 1.6 16v with a tiptronic gearbox. 

examples.

Screenshot 2021-03-14 at 07.49.25.png

Screenshot 2021-03-14 at 07.49.47.png

Edited by e-Roottoot

Thanks e-roottoot,

do all skodas use the dry sealed gearbox or the tiptronic?

I sorta considered the roomster but I’m not sure about the wheelchair wagon look.

the yeti is a favourite of my wife’s but in the current sitiuation we can’t just go have a test drive.

it would appear used car sales prices are quite buoyant. Considering we’ve only had 2 cars in the last 14 years I’m finding it hard to get my head around paying 5k + for a ten year old car with 80k on a small engine🙄

No.

Only the cars with an engine producing no more than 180ps.  250 Nm from the factory.    Tiptronic not fitted after the DSG is introduced.

So with Petrols FWD's it is , 1.0, 1.2, 1.4, 1.5 & some 1.8 TSI's, 

& 1.4 or 1.6 TDI's.    

Wet Clutch DSG's require oil changes at 40,000 mile intervals.

These will be fitted with AWD's and the more powerful engines.

With the early Yetis there are things to look at like the possible Zinc Inclusion issue. (Rust)

With DQ200 DSG's there was a World Wide Recall 2012 which excluded Europe which got a Service Campaign.  So DSG oil changed from Synthetic to Mineral and a software update. '34F7'.

That can be on any model of Skoda with a DQ200 7 speed twin dry clutch DSG  from 2009-2012.

The another Service Campaign on some from 2013-2015 applies.  '34H5' a software update as preventative issues because some had premature failures.

Again this covers any model with a DQ200 DSG.

That does not mean avoid them as many will have had the Campaign work, or even had replacement boxes or been repaired by this time.

Edited by e-Roottoot

Dealerships quote between £3,000 & £5,000  but then you do not want involved in that.

The issue is similar to that Ford had with Durashifts.   (I had a duff Transit with Durashift.)

The DQ200 DSG issues are not on the majority of the cars up to 2015.

You want to try driving the cars though. 

For me a Yeti inner sill does not suit me.  Then a Octavia does not suit.   

If a Roomster is too fugly then check out Mk2 Fabia Estates with a 1.2 TSI & DSG.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, stanleynismum said:

it would appear used car sales prices are quite buoyant. Considering we’ve only had 2 cars in the last 14 years I’m finding it hard to get my head around paying 5k + for a ten year old car with 80k on a small engine🙄

Used car prices are very strong. There have been a lot less new cars sold, so less part ex. Car auctions are online only, so dealers can end up bidding more for a car because they are buying it 'blind'. Very strange times indeed that lead to 10yr old motors being worth so much. OR are they? New list prices of cars have increased a lot in recent years too. The car market is in for an eventful 2021/2022.

• Like 1

e-Roottoot my wife has an aversion to estates don’t know why cause the fusion is almost one. I thought the Fabian may be a bit short footed and low.

I’m currently furloughed and driving an old pool car from work. Be Passat 11 plate. It’s a lovely smooth drive and reasonable access.  Are the Passat and Jetta equivalent to the Octavia and rapid?

14 minutes ago, Westbury63 said:

Used car prices are very strong. There have been a lot less new cars sold, so less part ex. Car auctions are online only, so dealers can end up bidding more for a car because they are buying it 'blind'. Very strange times indeed that lead to 10yr old motors being worth so much. OR are they? New list prices of cars have increased a lot in recent years too. The car market is in for an eventful 2021/2022.

Have to hope it works both ways and I get a decent price for our fusion

the other thing is the bloody tax, I was all set to go back to a big Volvo till I found out it was over £500 per year😳

3 hours ago, stanleynismum said:

I sorta considered the roomster but I’m not sure about the wheelchair wagon look.

What's interesting about this is people who buy Roomy's tend to hang on to them, and there'll be a reason or two for this.  You won't hear many negative comments about them.

Gaz

29 minutes ago, Gaz_ said:

What's interesting about this is people who buy Roomy's tend to hang on to them, and there'll be a reason or two for this.  You won't hear many negative comments about them.

Gaz

Have to say it’s very close to fitting the bill. It would probs be known as Nans van😏

• 2 weeks later...

Hi , 

not sure if you have purchased your Skoda yet however I would be careful. I moved to Skoda due to the VW reliability everyone talks about . However I can’t agree. I’ve a low mileage Octavia just out side of its warranty and I think it’s been the worse car I’ve ever owned . 
Poor refinement and any issues cost a fortune. 
I purchased my Octavia with optimism, roomy and I enjoyed standing up for the badge everyone bashed. But I’m sad to say this was my first and last Skoda . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I've just sold an Octavia 2015 1.6 TDI (ex-Taxi) that did 196k with no major issues at all and was still on its original clutch. Only major outlay was £230 for front shock absorbers. Sure it wasn't very refined but it was hugely reliable and cheap to run with full bluetooth and zero road tax plus 50+ mpg.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Liger1956 said:

How do you get "zero road tax" on a 2015 car?

I think the zero rate for cars went from April 2001 to April 2017( however I could be wrong) depending on emissions. My last 2 cars have been zero.