Octavia induction kit

As far as I know your not going to get extra power from an induction kit on the 2.0 cr engine. There’s a YouTube video Darkside developments did on a Golf GTD with bigger turbo etc and they used the standard air box as they said it was the best option for the engine 

The standard set up is good for over 300bhp with the std filter in place. There some improvements you can make by removing the snow grate from inside the filter box. Also fit a blanking plate to the inlet to allow extra air into the airbox. You can also fit larger boost pipes from Darkside performance that give 5bhp and allow the engine to breathe easier.

As for performance airfilters. They don't work I'm afraid but there are plenty of topics on that on here.

• Like 1

I done the following 'tweaks' on mine;

* Added a K&N panel filter

* Removed the snow grate

* Closed off the air intake exit on the driver's side

* Opened up the air intake on the passenger side

I added the K&N panel filter first as it's just something I've always done on my cars. I didn't notice any increase in performance and / or fuel economy. They may have, but they will be very negligible. Removing the snow grate was just for the sake of 'does this really need to be here?'

I will say the biggest change has been from closing off the air intake exit on the driver's side and opening the passenger's side. Firstly, this means it's only cool air coming into the engine as it won't be able to 'potentially' pull in any from the engine bay and also it meant it wasn't blowing 'dirty' air over the engine compartment.

I recently removed the K&N filter because it was in need of both cleaning and reoiling, but a lot of places are wary of oil coated filters (Darkside don't recommend them, but instead are happy with a standard paper) so threw the original paper one back in. Again, I wouldn't know I've done it.

The major thing to bear in mind is it's a combination of things which get you power.

Changing the panel filter from "OEM" to a "K&N" wont make any difference whatsoever! You'd be better off keeping the factory "OEM" but changing to a induction kit like the racingline R600 https://www.racingline.com/vwr12g7r600 or https://www.mountune52.com/collections/mk3-octavia-vrs-5e-2014/products/x3-intake will make a difference. 

I had a BMC Induction kit on my Golf a few years ago; coupled with a sports exhaust, it made a great difference.

I'm also toying with the idea of having something similar on my VRS 230, and am enticed by the RacingLine R600 Cold Air Intake: https://www.racingline.com/vwr12g7r600

I'll probably also go for the turbo muffler delete, thin wall, and inlet pipe as they all compliment the engine.

15 hours ago, Noms said:

turbo muffler delete

Everything else is worthwhile, as I've done the same on mine (with the exception of buying the stupidly expensive Carbonio / APR carbon fibre induction kit).

However, I've yet to see or hear any tangible improvements with the muffler delete other than a very clever way of making one's wallet considerably lighter :). You can still get decent 'whoosh' from an aftermarket filter like the R600 👍

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Noms said:

I had a BMC Induction kit on my Golf a few years ago; coupled with a sports exhaust, it made a great difference.

I'm also toying with the idea of having something similar on my VRS 230, and am enticed by the RacingLine R600 Cold Air Intake: https://www.racingline.com/vwr12g7r600

I'll probably also go for the turbo muffler delete, thin wall, and inlet pipe as they all compliment the engine.

Was the golf a petrol? also the 230 is petrol.  Intakes (and other breathing mods) do make a difference on petrol engines.  Diesel engines are massively over supplied as far as air goes so you are not going to get any gains from any intake mods.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, MarkyG82 said:

Was the golf a petrol? also the 230 is petrol.  Intakes (and other breathing mods) do make a difference on petrol engines.  Diesel engines are massively over supplied as far as air goes so you are not going to get any gains from any intake mods.

Yes, Golf was petrol, and so is this one.

2 hours ago, MarkyG82 said:

So that's why you saw a benefit. The OP was asking about their diesel. 

Apologies, in my haste, I didn't realise the OP was referring to a diesel.

Petrol do see an increase in power but it also has a tendancy to shift the power higher up the rev range. I found when I fitted one to my petro VRS I lost a lot of low down torque. So I switched back to the std airbox and found my car was a quicker on the road car, so left it on and sold the intake.

The intake on the mqb chassis cars is very good as standard. Just by fitting a new turbo intake pipe and adding the blanking plate they were only just short on maximum airflow compared to the aftermarket intake kits.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ecomatt said:

The intake on the mqb chassis cars is very good as standard. Just by fitting a new turbo intake pipe and adding the blanking plate they were only just short on maximum airflow compared to the aftermarket intake kits.

That's it. I couldn't justify putting one of the racingline kits on because I've accomplished it using a stanley knife and a bit of tape