Real world mpg for the 1.5 engine?

stever750

I've had a 1.5 tsi karoq, but rarely got over 40mpg on my commute from West Wales to London before covid etc. I'm about to change it for something cheaper to run after a job change, so economy is important. I'm comparing it to a corolla 1.8 hybrid, which I know will be likely be more frugal, but I've been offered a good deal on the scala. 

If you are doing long Journeys you still can't beat a diesel for fuel economy.

I think hybrids come into their own doing shorter runs depending on how much range it has vs your commute. Once your running on that 1.8 petrol engine pulling a load of weight around its going to bring the average mpg down dramatically.

For various reasons I'm not entertaining another diesel. Just interested to hear if the scala can get close to the expected eco figures with this engine. I know the corolla can hit 55mpg average on longer drives as a friend has one. 

I have a 1.5 DSG Scala and I do 15,000kms per year. Mostly work commute which is a mix of motorway and congested traffic, plus 2 adults in the car.

My long term average is 5.6L/100Kms. I'm mostly under 6L/100 on average for a normal working week and on road triips away or clear motorway I can get 5L/100. Best is 4.5l/100 

I think that is about  50+ UK MPG long term?

Im really happy with the economy. My Prius owing colleague is impressed

4-6.jpg

• Like 1

My Scala is the 150 1.5l with ACM and also the sport modes (Eco/Normal/Sport). The modes maybe make only 1-2L/100 difference, but the performance change is noticable in Sport.

I've also driven the 1.0L version several times as a loan car  and I found it to be not any better in economy or even worse. Maybe you need to drive it a little harder or because it misses the ACM (the 2 cylinder ACM is active quite a lot and it must save a fair bit).

It could also be because it is a loan car....

I feel the 1.5 TSI 150 is great, even if the engine  sound isn't quite as fun as the 3 cylinder 1.0.

On 17/03/2021 at 09:38, stever750 said:

I've had a 1.5 tsi karoq, but rarely got over 40mpg on my commute from West Wales to London before covid etc. I'm about to change it for something cheaper to run after a job change, so economy is important. I'm comparing it to a corolla 1.8 hybrid, which I know will be likely be more frugal, but I've been offered a good deal on the scala. 

West Wales to London is a long commute so I can understand a some disappointment at only getting around 40mpg, although I suspect you may have 'pressed on' a bit to shorten the journey time. The aerodynamics on the Karoq like many other SUV styled vehicles is not brilliant so higher speeds would exact a penalty.

What sort of commute would you have with the new job? Open highway as before or more urban? Hybrid work well in urban,  also hilly terrain but on open highway I would imagine there is little difference in consumption between the Scala and the Hybrid. Sure the 1.8NA Atkinson cycle engine is very efficient but so is the VW 1.5tsi. To be honest our old 1.4tsi Octavia can get similar figures to @MrMorm in the right conditions with overall lifetime average of 5.9L/100.

Our current vehicles are ageing but still functional (a bit like us) and we are looking at possible replacements which includes a Scala and possibly the much more expensive hybrid Corolla. 

The Corolla hatch has far too small a boot so the sedan may be the one to look at. Unfortunately the estate version, which I would really like to look at, is not on offer in Australia.

I have posted a request for comments from owners of a manual Scala 1.5tsi but unfortunately there have been no replies.

Edited by Gerrycan

gerrycan, i drove a corolla estate hybrid with the 2.0 engine and that has got to be the smoothest gear change in any car in the world toyota make the best gear boxes, all this rubbish about elastic bands in the gearbox, check out the engineering videos on youtube regarding this car, very impressive, carnt you get the estate in oz mate.

• Like 1

On 31/03/2021 at 04:39, paddywack1878 said:

gerrycan, i drove a corolla estate hybrid with the 2.0 engine and that has got to be the smoothest gear change in any car in the world toyota make the best gear boxes, all this rubbish about elastic bands in the gearbox, check out the engineering videos on youtube regarding this car, very impressive, carnt you get the estate in oz mate.

Australians think they are rugged outdoor types so most new vehicles released here need to be identified as an 'SUV', even if they are little more than jacked up hatchbacks so there are relatively few estate options compared to Europe.

The hybrid Corolla sedan/hatch here only has the 1.8L engine option but the lack of power doesn't worry me as our roads speed limits are very heavily policed and I am not prepared to donate to the government through speeding fines.

We are both very busy at work currently so finding the time for proper test drives is difficult.

My limited experience with Toyota hybrids pretty much confirm what you say about the box, and they are definitely economical around town.

A manual 1.5tsi Scala is also very tempting.

Edited by Gerrycan

gerry what i noticed on the test drive was that there is not much room inside, no decent size places to put things and and if you are a bit heavy and over 6ft this car is not for you, but reliability wise you wont get much better, and the 1.8 does 60 plus mpg.

• Like 1

I'm a skinny 178cm so a car has to be pretty compromised for me to be cramped but I am aware that some of my larger (taller and/or bulkier) friends are impacted by vehicles I am comfortable in.

I think the Australian version of the Corolla sedan operates on a longer wheelbase than the hatch providing better accommodation and bootspace.   I read somewhere it may be larger than the European versions of the sedan/estate but I have not confirmed that.

I got a few responses about actual Corolla consumption from a local car forum and the owners are getting between 50 and 75 mpg with the majority at the upper end. I guess if you buy a car for its economy then you are going enjoy the challenge of maximising its abilities.

9 minutes ago, Gerrycan said:

I'm a skinny 178cm so a car has to be pretty compromised for me to be cramped but I am aware that some of my larger (taller and/or bulkier) friends are impacted by vehicles I am comfortable in.

I think the Australian version of the Corolla sedan operates on a longer wheelbase than the hatch providing better accommodation and bootspace.   I read somewhere it may be larger than the European versions of the sedan/estate but I have not confirmed that.

I got a few responses about actual Corolla consumption from a local car forum and the owners are getting between 50 and 75 mpg with the majority at the upper end. I guess if you buy a car for its economy then you are going enjoy the challenge of maximising its abilities.

that 50-75 will be the 1.8 because the 2.0 is around 45-55 in real world driving , i nearly bought the estate in silver ,cracker looking and as smooth as silk the drive, but it was murder getting in an out and i am only 5ft 10, and 12 stone but i am 60 now hahaha, not as flexible shall we say.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My consomption is 6.1 litres / 100 km (46.3 mpg UK). It was in Winter (December 2020 - March 2021) with winter tyres. The temperatures were also pretty low. So I hope to decrease this value now with summer tyre and better weather. 

6.1 litres / 100 km on 3.056 kilometers. 59 km/h (36.6 mph) is the average speed.

9D111D4B-B162-46B8-88AD-A774F158F879.thumb.jpeg.746fe15696e667e3ea5ab2572a58bafe.jpeg

• 5 months later...

Hi, 

I just did a trip from Birmingham to Hitchin with a passenger and about half a tank of fuel in my Scala 110 BHP manual and managed to get 63.5 mpg.

1633693314786.jpg

Edited by sargentbash
added a picture

Please all bear in mind that the computer figures generated on any car are only estimates, and in many cases can be significantly out. We had one car that claimed low 60s, but in reality was only mid 50s. This particular car had a 'fuel used' function. When I went to fill the computer said it had used 10 gallons but it always took 11 gallons to fill. On my current cars, two tankfuls which give an identical computer reading actually turn out to be significantly different when calculated from the fuel added. However the mpg is measured and calculated it is almost impossible to get an accurate figure, apart from meticulous record keeping over a significant period of time. And you are still limited by the accuracy of the number of miles travelled.

• 4 months later...
On 11/10/2021 at 13:57, Routemaster1461 said:

Please all bear in mind that the computer figures generated on any car are only estimates, and in many cases can be significantly out. We had one car that claimed low 60s, but in reality was only mid 50s. This particular car had a 'fuel used' function. When I went to fill the computer said it had used 10 gallons but it always took 11 gallons to fill. On my current cars, two tankfuls which give an identical computer reading actually turn out to be significantly different when calculated from the fuel added. However the mpg is measured and calculated it is almost impossible to get an accurate figure, apart from meticulous record keeping over a significant period of time. And you are still limited by the accuracy of the number of miles travelled.

I wonder if the way it's calculated is different between petrol and diesel because of the way the injection works. My previous Superb diesel was rather inaccurate  re on board computer whereas my Superb II 1.4 tsi is surprisingly accurate when compared to tank to tank fills. I used to keep figures in Spritmoitor when I first got the car but got bored of doing this. Even with the previous generation tsi engine the bus is getting late 40's mpg - I'm pretty happy with that.

I'm keeping an eye on the Scala 1.5 or Kamiq 1.5  as I eventually want to down size - just worried about some of the teething troubles re Infotainment / SOS etc. I test drove a Kamiq 1.0 which I quite liked.

It's simple enough to get sufficiently accurate data, filling brim to brim is subject to calibrated fuel quantities do that's coveted, and use Google maps or a route tracker to measure distance travelled. 

8 hours ago, stever750 said:

It's simple enough to get sufficiently accurate data, filling brim to brim is subject to calibrated fuel quantities do that's coveted, and use Google maps or a route tracker to measure distance travelled. 

It isn't quite that easy. The problem is knowing what brimming is. I always fill until the pum cuts out, which may depend on the pump in use. I then fill to the next whole litre so sometimes it's an extra 0.8L, sometimes 0.2L, etc. So with a 40L fill, the variation is, on average, +/- ~1%, which will translate into a difference of  1% in the figure obtained. I don't think google maps is a good measure as it is virtually impossible to track accurately all of the short local journeys you make and mileage around car parks.

As for GPS trackers, my daughter hjas taken up a walking challenge ovrer lockdown and uses a tracker app on her iphone to measure each walk. I have walked with her and, as my new android phone has the capacity, I have the same app. We go on a (say)  6km walk, without leaving each other. My distance is always significantly less than hers, up to ~0.2km. So which is correct?

Basically what I am saying is that there is variation in just about all the parameters, so it is virtually impossible for anyone to get an accurate figure for each tank of fuel.

And,just to add, I frequently do journeys from home to the south-west outskirts of London, and my 1.5 TSi Karoq gives an indicated 46-48mpg.

That's true, but they will be a consistent source of error, plus GPS error is not cumulative. Either way, it's likely to be more accurate than the odometer. 

I don't think that a 1% uncertainty on filling makes the calculation meaningless, but of course what we don't know is the uncertainty of the on board consumption calculation, but would be based off the odo data, not gps. We don't know how consistent any errors are in the on board system, whereas you can make a reasonable estimate using the brim to brim method. The question is why would you need or want a lower uncertainty when measuring your fuel economy? 

My 1.5tsi with only 400 miles on the clock is averaging 49mpg so far according to the display, and that is with some hard driving. Had it at 55 on a run with the cylinder deactivation working.