Subframe safety note

Hi guys. Just a wee note to say that I narrowly escaped a catastrophic crash last night due to a front subframe failure on my beloved 2001 octavia diesel estate. Luckily I was only travelling slowly when it failed. Worth inspecting, next time your car is up on the ramps...

More detail or a photograph is necessary.

How will people know what to inspect, why and where from the above description?

I have just realised its your first posting on the forum, a belated apology and welcome!

Edited by J.R.
  • Like 2

On 26/03/2021 at 13:32, e-Roottoot said:

@ecojunk  Welcome to the forum.

When was your car last checked on a ramp while getting a MOT?

Dunno about you, but all three places I've used round here for MoTs either have a car lift or a pit which they use to inspect the underside....

• Sad 1
  • Groan 1

Hi there. I posted this as a warning to other MK1 octavia owners to be aware. I am a big fan of this car, thats why I'm still driving one. I've attached a20210326_102235.thumb.jpg.e4031d7d66a2a565692b88db6fc3762d.jpg pic to show where the sub frame broke. 

The tyre tells you all you need to know about how the car has been looked after.

• Like 1

The car passed it's MOT in December mate. Although its a 2001 model, the car is well looked after and regularly maintained. It has has all new running gear, tyres, brakes etc. This came as a big surprise?

• Administrators

I’m still failing to see the damage/crack. Can you show the actual subframe and not just the side view of the tie rod ends and ball joints. Interested to see as I haven’t seen this before, unless it’s been messed with before in the past as they use stretch bolts (one time use).

20 minutes ago, DeanVRS20VT said:

I’m still failing to see the damage/crack. Can you show the actual subframe and not just the side view of the tie rod ends and ball joints. Interested to see as I haven’t seen this before, unless it’s been messed with before in the past as they use stretch bolts (one time use).

This might be a bit better. Looks like the arm has either separated from the subframe and took out the driveshaft or broken to me. I have seen a few MK4 platform arms break due to corrosion internally - it doesn't show up on an MOT though as it looks sound from the outside,

sub.JPG

sub.JPG

The car is in to get this repaired. I'll post pics of the break in the subframe on collection. There have been posts on this forum before about subframe failure. I agree with your point about it being hard to diagnose during the MOT as most subframes on a 20 year old car will look rusty. Thats why I posted this failure. I thought that other Skoda drivers, driving similar older vehicles, might want to check theirs. If I had been on the motorway or a busy street, things could have ended very differently!

• Confused 1

It is a safety issue, there should be a recall on all VAG vehicles manufactured in the last 20 years for modified engine gaskets to ensure oil leaks, you could have eaten your dinner off the sump of my MK2 Octavia (if you rolled the car first!), an accident waiting to happen!

My poor attempt at ironic humour.

An undesired result of VAG making their engines leakproof is corrosion of the structural parts that would normally be protected by the oil thrown around.

• 5 weeks later...

You also have to keep an eye on the rear suspension beam/arms - thick metal to start with but can eventually succumb. A failure of this can have similar catastrophic outcome and it's not always obvious on MOT inspection. 

Having restored various cars over the years I've tried and tested various rust proofing techniques. Latterly on exposed suspension, subframes brake back plates I've become a fan of 

Owatrol oil (spray or hand paint) -  Does the job well and you can see through it so you can keep an eye on potential tin worm issues. 

It was a Landrover enthusiast that got me on to it. Black underseal is usually the worst thing to use - rust just seems to munch/track under it (although I had success painting on top of a clean and oiled surface).  Elsewhere inside sections, subframes(after Owatrol outside), sills, door bottoms, front of bonnet etc - Dinitrol is cracking stuff.

As an example of how well it works, my wife received a hanging garden ornament which after being out for 1 night in the rain became entirely covered in rust. I simply wiped over this with Owatrol oil and numerous years later still looking free of rust, It even keeps my wife's 1.2 Fiat Panda sump free of rust - and boy do they rust!

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-28 at 19.50.47.jpeg

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 1

+ 1 to Owatrol oil, I discovered it from this forum, it may even have been yourself. I am on the 3rd renovation of old rusty mobile site huts that have spent their lives on damp muddy building sites since the 70's, the second one being the first I used Owatrol on, it has been outside unprotected on a grass field for a year now right beside the first one I did, that was pre Owatrol & used chemical rust treatment, both had the same crepi finish which I usually use on outside masonry, the first is showing rust stains everywhere and was within no time, not a sign yet on the Owatrol protected one.

Those photos are a good example, in fact its recommended for new cast iron garden decorations that are sold with a patinated rusted painted finish if you want to maintain it like that rather than just having a flaky rusty orange thing after a year.

It's also quite cheap to buy here in France.

Edited by J.R.