Superb III design flaws

Its rotting away. I'll take it off your hands for a fiver before it's worth even less :)

There's no such thing as the perfect car. It doesn't exists. It's a bit like the quest to find the perfect woman :tongueout:

26 minutes ago, Bigeater said:

There's no such thing as the perfect car. It doesn't exist

I agree :D 

It just surprises me that they got so much 'right' with the superb, that I'm surprised they missed this 'pooling water' issue

Have seen this on a couple of cars I’ve done cameras on, seems a bit of a flaw but luckily the estate isn’t so afflicted. The only flaw with mine is the torch doesn’t appear to work, the magnet pulls the batteries out so it doesn’t work 😂

The magnet on the inside, I appear to have one magnetic strip but 2 slots for them, once the rear cover in clipped in place it pulls the batteries out so they don’t make contact and it doesn’t appear to charge. It works with regular AAA’s in it though. More investigation needed.

1 hour ago, SashaGrace said:

The magnet on the inside, I appear to have one magnetic strip but 2 slots for them, once the rear cover in clipped in place it pulls the batteries out so they don’t make contact and it doesn’t appear to charge. It works with regular AAA’s in it though. More investigation needed.

Mine was dead when I picked up my car. These are the right ones which the car keeps charged, sorted it for me

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004WBL86S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_RMWE1P2B42DXFYRVS0XE?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Thanks 1

"FOC. Warranty Repair – Confirmed OSF & OSR upper door trims loose after previous repair, confirmed relevant TPI followed, replaced OSF & OSR rubber door seals, checked window and door operations, retested, all OK."

This has been a recurring problem for the four years I've owned the car. The last time I pressed the trim back into place, I decided, next time I would get the silicone glue out and sort it out myself. Hasn't popped up since. I guess it just needed a good threatening...

This window trim is the only design fault that I have come across with this otherwise quite excellent car.

I have the sedan shape and in the 4 yrs, I've never had water stay like that on the boot sills!!

Strange.

With regards to the boot torch - I wish I had the LED version.  It's so yellow compared to my SuperSkoda mega power boot lights.   I can't justify spending AUD 100 plus for one with white LEDs (3T0947417C9B9).

65693075_PXL_20210322_0216507362.thumb.jpg.7ef12dd454e6459ee77b36cc12a530b0.jpg

So I replaced (years ago) the two boot lamps and the removable LED torch with items from the Kodiaq (along with the Glovebox light). They are a higher Kelvin light (Cool White) and the two boot lamps are LED (not W5W bulbs as we have in our Superbs)...

Genuine Part Numbers: LED Lamp - 8J0947409B (x3) / Connectors - 8W0971832 (x3) / Removable LED Torch - 3T0947417F9B9

78801686_164021664815216_892319566443577344_o.jpg

79706240_164021638148552_5222206449798610944_o.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, freelunch said:

"FOC. Warranty Repair – Confirmed OSF & OSR upper door trims loose after previous repair, confirmed relevant TPI followed, replaced OSF & OSR rubber door seals, checked window and door operations, retested, all OK."

This has been a recurring problem for the four years I've owned the car. The last time I pressed the trim back into place, I decided, next time I would get the silicone glue out and sort it out myself. Hasn't popped up since. I guess it just needed a good threatening...

This window trim is the only design fault that I have come across with this otherwise quite excellent car.

Mine's been the same - the only design fault I've had but it's annoying.  

I'm worried that each time they come loose and are pushed back in place, they become looser and easier to pop off again.  Mine are alright during the winter but can come loose when parked in direct sun and the trims expand in the heat.  It happened for the first time this year last week when we had a sunny day and I was parked outside B & M.  When I opened the door and heard a "ping", I knew exactly what'd happened!  I pushed them back firmly and tried to seat them as far apart as possible to maximise the gap, but with very little success as they are of fixed length.  I've also put a light smear of grease over each end of the trim to see if this stops them sticking to each other and pulling them off.  I'll have to see if this works!  

I never had a problem with my trims until the dealer unnecessarily applied the fix a couple of years ago. Now the leading edge (just behind the door mirrors) pops out about 5mm now and again.

If it ain't broke take it to your dealer... It'll soon be broken.

• Like 1

On 27/03/2021 at 03:20, JR RS said:

I have the sedan shape and in the 4 yrs, I've never had water stay like that on the boot sills!!

Strange.

65693075_PXL_20210322_0216507362.thumb.jpg.7ef12dd454e6459ee77b36cc12a530b0.jpg

Yeap, same here. 2 year old sedan with plenty of rain and frequent washing but I've never ever had water collecting in the boot channels. When opening the trunk after waterfall, the water just runs down quickly and out of the back of the car.

If I may - I own MK3 new car for just over 3 months. Overall very happy with it. However, I have found few glitches which make use of the car less pleasant than it possibly should be:

1. Heating of the mirror controlled by the same switch as mirror adjustment dial  - no control light within the switch, forget the dashboard. Obviously you can look at the position of the switch itself or  see the message on maxidot; provided you decide to go to the relevant screen. Nonsense in my modest view.

2. In many places of the MIB3 interface no reverse/back button. So playing with high proportion of various settings you can revert only back to the main screen, not the screen just before.

3. Phone app - if you use maxidot for say speed info and the main MIB3 screen for say NAV there is no way you can disconnect the call - other than playing with buttons/screens again. 

4. Screen setting - show clock after ....10 sec - not stored after restart of the car. Why??!! 

Is the whole interface deliberately designed to keep the driver overly occupied playing with screens? How does this correspond with overall aim of avoiding distraction for safety reasons?

Not sure if others share my (little) frustrations. OR maybe someone know solutions for the issues described above?

6 hours ago, greg_aniol said:

If I may - I own MK3 new car for just over 3 months. Overall very happy with it. However, I have found few glitches which make use of the car less pleasant than it possibly should be:

1. Heating of the mirror controlled by the same switch as mirror adjustment dial  - no control light within the switch, forget the dashboard. Obviously you can look at the position of the switch itself or  see the message on maxidot; provided you decide to go to the relevant screen. Nonsense in my modest view.

2. In many places of the MIB3 interface no reverse/back button. So playing with high proportion of various settings you can revert only back to the main screen, not the screen just before.

3. Phone app - if you use maxidot for say speed info and the main MIB3 screen for say NAV there is no way you can disconnect the call - other than playing with buttons/screens again. 

4. Screen setting - show clock after ....10 sec - not stored after restart of the car. Why??!! 

Is the whole interface deliberately designed to keep the driver overly occupied playing with screens? How does this correspond with overall aim of avoiding distraction for safety reasons?

Not sure if others share my (little) frustrations. OR maybe someone know solutions for the issues described above?

Just a current fad, something future generations will look back on and laugh at, yet the young uns will give a great speech about UX etc etc.. 

could-should.jpg

:) mad, just mad.

Does anyone know where such things can be reported (other than Skoda's twitter account which is served by ppl having little interest in solving any problems)? It is hard to imagine that VAG committed such negligence in case of my car only. Therefore we may be talking about hundreds of thousands of cars run with described above glitches potentially bringing avoidable risks to the driver and other road users, I know, one may say - don't touch while you are driving. But, sorry I feel that finishing the call or access to mirror heating information are somehow basic elements of functionality of the contemporary car. 

The mirror switch has been a VAG staple for years and something you just get used to. The MIB3 issues are frustrating as none of the issues you mention apply to my MIB2.5. But surely when someone calls you it appears on the Maxidot anyway and it stays on the call screen with options and then goes back to speed when you end the call? That’s what my car does with the MIB2.5 and VC.

Hi Sasha,

My bad. Just checked and you are right with the phone on maxidot. Thanks.

The whole lot of other minor issues - I hope they are going to mature and updates may clear them off. They put big question mark on the car's infotainment system's functionality.