B8 Pre facelift Travel Assist question

Hi all,

I'm looking to purchase a superb estate, have looked for the answer to this but can't find the info I'm after, apologies if this has already been answered!

I'm interested in the lane keeping function of travel assist on the pre facelift versions - is it just lane assist i.e. bounces you from one lane to the other with annoying audible warnings, or does it actually keep the centre of the lane and steer around corners, roundabouts etc?  I've tried my neighbours new golf and its just lane assist which I find really annoying (had it on a Jag XF perviously and liked it - it didn't give any audible warnings, just quietly assisted you).

A dealer I've spoken to says on the pre facelift, even with travel assist option it's lane assist only, I'd need a post facelift to get lane centre keeping.  Is this right?

Also... I've read that if the pre facelift doesn't have travel assist as an option, then it's possible to have activated via VCDS so long has the car has adaptive cruise, lane keeping and traffic sign recognition.  Is this true?  has anyone actually had it done?  I thought travel assist was activated by a dedicated button on the steering wheel?

Thanks, hopefully get to the bottom of this and be making a purchase imminently... will be posting separately about dynamic dampening control... I really want a sport line for the styling and the seats, but the l&k's are better equipped...

Lane assist in these cars always has an audible warning even when it does have the adaptive guidance to keep you centred in the lane. Every now and again if it thinks you haven’t got a grip of the steering wheel it’ll bong at you. It will assist you in lane without bonging though. Good luck finding a SportLine with it, I couldn’t, most people didn’t specify it so I bought a facelift SportLine Plus with the dynamic light assist as standard do you get the A5 camera which means lane assist can be coded in. I just haven’t done it on my car yet. 

Traffic Jam Assist is a separate option and wasn’t available on the PFL Superb but you can have the Passat B8 parameters flashed onto it with VCP and TJA will then work. All it does is keep lane assist on below 40 mph with the ACC on. There is no separate button for this, only on the 2021 model cars.

I can live with the bong for steering inputs every 12 or 20 secs (I hear different things) but not the way the lane assist keep hassling you!

So you are saying it's possible to upgrade a PreFL to traffic jam level of lane assist under 40mph but not full speed range?  Is 'traffic jam assist' lane keeping full centre or just side to side pinballing?

My budget isn't quite strong enough for a post face lift, shame as the virtual dash looks banging.

Also, I've heard different things on traffic sign recognition (something I definitely want, regardless of lane keep/travel assist) - do you know if that came as standard on PreFL Sportlines, or was an option?

Thanks Sasha!

The Superb has two levels of lane assist.

The normal bouncy bouncy version that ping pongs u between the lane markings.

This is just "Lane Assist" active.

Or

The adaptive version that keeps u in the centre of the lane markings.

This is both Lane Assist and "Adaptive Lane Guidance" active.

420477915_images(23).jpeg.81da505ffabdaf852a1c14a1e61e9097.jpeg

I've always had my ALG active for TJA, hence I don't know if it will work with just Lane Assist.

TSR is not enabled by default.  U need to enable it using VCDS or ObdEleven11.  Provided u have the necessary A5 Camera.

Thanks JR.  Most dealers are utterly clueless about this.

Am I right In thinking if I get a PreFL with an A5 camera then I can get adaptive lane keep activated?  I'm 100% getting a DSG with ACC anyway, however adaptive lane guidance really is something I want so wanna be sure.  What options would get me an A5 camera - traffic sign recognition?  If the dealer I spoke to is correct that all Sprotlines came with traffic sign recognition as standard, then I should be good... right?

SportLine cars never have TSR as standard!! Even L&K’s don’t pre facelift. I cannot stress enough how rare it is to find a SportLine with the A5 camera. If you have the A5 camera you can code lane assist, high beam assist and traffic sign recognition on a pre facelift, you cannot do TSR on a facelift without FeC.

Things are starting to get confused with options so I’ll try and break it down.

Lane Assist - this gets you lane assist for nudging you back into lane if you start to wander AND adaptive lane guidance which keeps you centred.

Traffic Jam Assist - this is a separate option which was never available on the PFL Superb, only the VW’s of the era and this keeps the Lane Assist on under 40 mph with the ACC on if you go into traffic below that speed whereas the LA switches off without this option. It needs VCP to flash the Passat B8 dataset if you want it.

Virtual dash came as an option on the PFL for MY19 as well, and can be retrofitted. I had one in my 2014 Octavia :) 

Ok thanks Sasha - so if I want full speed range adaptive lane guidance (which I do) I need a facelift model and it would help if it already had TFR?  What's FeC?

Oh and I also want DCC (thanks for replying on the other thread), ACC, DSG and the factory retractable tow bar.  In a sport line.  In Dragon Green. And a virtual dash.  And some magic beans to grow a giant beanstalk while I'm at it...

Back in the real world... If I can't get full range adaptive lane guidance in a Pre facelift, then I'm looking at at facelift model anyway.  DSG and ACC are minimums.  I'm aware adding a towbar is a bit of a nightmare, so what's the easier options out of what I've mentioned to have added afterwards?  You're not too far from me Sasha so this work may well be coming your way!

The Facelift has Travel Assist Package as an option which comes with TJA but it’s £1200. Sounds like a good compromise would be a pre facelift with an A5 camera and I can code anything that’s missing for you including TJA. Yeah you wanna be glad you avoided it, I was the first person to put a deposit on it. Was a right heap. 

Oh really?  Ha ha phew!

Ok, any tips on how I can sniff out a car with an A5 camera - given that all the dealers are clueless!  Is there a visual lie, like the camera aperture up in the windscreen in front of the rear view mirror?

9 hours ago, SashaGrace said:

Traffic Jam Assist - this is a separate option which was never available on the PFL Superb, only the VW’s of the era and this keeps the Lane Assist on under 40 mph with the ACC on if you go into traffic below that speed whereas the LA switches off without this option. It needs VCP to flash the Passat B8 dataset if you want it.

Unless I've misread u, that's actually incorrect - TJA has always been available on pre-facelift Superbs.

It's enabled from factory, provided the option is specced.  No need for additional datasets.

TJA continues to work below 60 km/h.

I personally use TJA a lot.  It's great.

Edited by JR RS