Does ACC / Front assist need calibration?

When running up to a car Front Assist doesnt always alert.. Same with ACC - sometimes it doesnt "see" the car in front (despite being large, straight in front etc) and would just plough in if I didnt brake. ( and doesnt show on the maxidot)

Anyone have this? Is there any calibration possible by a dealer?

There's a lot of critera to be met for the Front Assist to activate. How quickly the car in front is slowing, if the car sensors detect whether or not you are reacting to the slowing of the car in front, what speed you are doing and a few other things. Also depends on how you have set it up, particularly the distance you have set in the settings. 

Yes they can be calibrated. But if they are out of calibration the car will alert you. For example if someone hits into your bumper in a car park while you are in shopping, when you come out and start the car it will be able to detect that the radar behind the bumper has been moved and will deactivate the system and show an alert. 

The braking kicks in very late when depending on the ADAS system. Its really there as a very last resort to try and avoid a collision. As a result its extremely hard to test safely in real world conditions. You'd be a brave man to drive in a manner that would cause it to activate - literally driving to a point where a collision is imminent. Generally you will chicken out and hit the brakes yourself before the ADAS is called into action. 

As regard not showing on the Maxidot - I will pay a bit more attention to my own and see how it shows.  

• 2 months later...

I'm in Australia and have the following constant problem with Adaptive Cruise Control.  When passing a vehicle on my righthand side (ie i'm in the left lane), the ACC thinks this vehicle on my right is in my lane and it won't pass it without me pushing the accelerator and forcing it to go past.  Once I do this it's fine and passes back up to the speed set on the ACC.  It never does it when I'm in the right lane and passing the vehicle on my left.  Anyone else have this similar issue, particularly in Oz?

1 hour ago, Donweather said:

I'm in Australia and have the following constant problem with Adaptive Cruise Control.  When passing a vehicle on my righthand side (ie i'm in the left lane), the ACC thinks this vehicle on my right is in my lane and it won't pass it without me pushing the accelerator and forcing it to go past.  Once I do this it's fine and passes back up to the speed set on the ACC.  It never does it when I'm in the right lane and passing the vehicle on my left.  Anyone else have this similar issue, particularly in Oz?

The ACC does NOT think the car is in ur lane - it knows the car is in the adjacent lane, and it's clearly shown in graphics.

It is, unfortunately, a "safety feature" that prevents u from undertaking a car in the right adjacent lane for RHD countries, or undertaking a car in the left adjacent lane for LHD countries.

This feature can b disabled using VCDS or OBDEleven.

Plenty have done it, including myself.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, JR RS said:

The ACC does NOT think the car is in ur lane - it knows the car is in the adjacent lane, and it's clearly shown in graphics.

It is, unfortunately, a "safety feature" that prevents u from undertaking a car in the right adjacent lane for RHD countries, or undertaking a car in the left adjacent lane for LHD countries.

This feature can b disabled using VCDS or OBDEleven.

Plenty have done it, including myself.

It's a frustrating pain in the arse, but thought that might be the reason why.  I'll see if I can get it disabled, thanks.

I’ve done this mod as well, it’s useful when coming up to a lane split with traffic on the right as before it would slow me down unnecessarily.

just be aware though that it will let you sail past the middle lane hoggers on a motorway if you’re in the left lane for example and while I admit there’s occasions when I do this it’s not a very good idea for obvious reasons and can be very unnerving!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SkudMissile21 said:

I’ve done this mod as well, it’s useful when coming up to a lane split with traffic on the right as before it would slow me down unnecessarily.

just be aware though that it will let you sail past the middle lane hoggers on a motorway if you’re in the left lane for example and while I admit there’s occasions when I do this it’s not a very good idea for obvious reasons and can be very unnerving!

Not so unnerving in Aus as no one keeps left here. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1