"Dynamic" indicators

Has anyone fitted any of these "Dynamic" indicators - ie Audi-style that fade in? If you have, does the lens inside the mirror frame illuminate? I got some and fitted them, but as you can see from this video, the lens inside the frame doesn't illuminate and neither does the lens at the outmost tip of the mirror. Only the strip in front of the mirror does.

This would be an MOT fail (and be illegal) because the side indicator repeaters have to be visible from all sides of the car including the rear and just having the LED on the front of the mirror illuminating means they aren't visible from even the side of the car unless you are in front of the mirror. I'm sending mine back, but they were much brighter at the front so if you have any suggestions or links for better ones, let me know...

thanks

Nick

Edited by NikTheGeek

I don't think they need to be visible from the cabin, if I recall correctly, they should be visible from a 5 degree angle from the rear? You'll have a better idea than I do if they actually are?

Anyway, I expect most aftermarket dynamic indicators will be pretty similar. Even the expensive superskoda variant which is allegedly 'e-marked' may not show to the rear - at least based on this video as there appears to be a dark segment at the rear:

In 45 years of driving aside from the dashboard idiot light I have never been able to see the indicators of any of my cars from the drivers seat, it certainly is not a legal requirement or an MOT failure, they are there to be seen by other road users and the regulatory angles of visibility etc are for them & not the driver.

Editted, I understand what you mean now, the ones in the mirrors of my Yeti can be seen from behind but not from the drivers seat, although they are so small as to be practically invisible but I have noticed that tendancy on many new car rear light clusters where aesthetics have over-ruled functionality to the detriment of safety.

Edited by J.R.

11 hours ago, NikTheGeek said:

This would be an MOT fail (and be illegal) because the side indicator repeaters have to be visible from all sides of the car including the rear and just having the LED on the front of the mirror illuminating means they aren't visible from even the side of the car unless you are in front of the mirror.

Are you sure?

Double checked the government and mot tester sites .....

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-private-passenger-and-light-commercial-vehicles/4-lamps-reflectors-and-electrical-equipment#section-4-4-1

2 hours ago, Evil said:

Yes I am sure. It's in the Lighting regulations

image.png.28085140f5717e05d506d801dbd0da7c.png

image.png.ec63671496870ad8b88f80a8512967d5.png

Nick

• Like 1

12 hours ago, langers2k said:

I don't think they need to be visible from the cabin, if I recall correctly, they should be visible from a 5 degree angle from the rear? You'll have a better idea than I do if they actually are?

Anyway, I expect most aftermarket dynamic indicators will be pretty similar. Even the expensive superskoda variant which is allegedly 'e-marked' may not show to the rear - at least based on this video as there appears to be a dark segment at the rear:

No, they don't need to be visible from the cabin (thats what the dashboard one is for), but they do need to be visible from behind - which is what the tip of the mirror illuminating does.

11 hours ago, J.R. said:

In 45 years of driving aside from the dashboard idiot light I have never been able to see the indicators of any of my cars from the drivers seat, it certainly is not a legal requirement or an MOT failure, they are there to be seen by other road users and the regulatory angles of visibility etc are for them & not the driver.

Editted, I understand what you mean now, the ones in the mirrors of my Yeti can be seen from behind but not from the drivers seat, although they are so small as to be practically invisible but I have noticed that tendancy on many new car rear light clusters where aesthetics have over-ruled functionality to the detriment of safety.

Yes, it's this bit that juts out that needs to be visible from the rear
image.png.06ba7e8c9b7980cc643feaab3e06e215.png

It looks like other ones work properly, so I must have just bought cheap as mine don't illuminate at the ends like others do...

Nick

14 minutes ago, NikTheGeek said:

Yes I am sure. It's in the Lighting regulations

image.png.28085140f5717e05d506d801dbd0da7c.png

image.png.ec63671496870ad8b88f80a8512967d5.png

Nick

Got a source for the info please Nick?

(I'm not disbelieving you, having an additional source to reference is always useful)..

34 minutes ago, Evil said:

Got a source for the info please Nick?

(I'm not disbelieving you, having an additional source to reference is always useful)..

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/schedule/7/made

But also, it is an MOT fail to not have a side repeater on a vehicle made after 1986. If the side repeater isn't visible from the entire side of the car, including the rear, then it should be failed as not present. But no idea if a tester would go in to that much detail when checking.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NikTheGeek said:

If the side repeater isn't visible from the entire side of the car, including the rear, then it should be failed as not present. But no idea if a tester would go in to that much detail when checking.

In your world maybe, in the real world MOT testers are not obliged to test the regulatory compliance of items on the vehicle, just their presence and in some but not all cases that they function.

A type approval application would do, an SVA test also but to a lesser degree, often the presence of a CE mark or an E number on headlights etc suffices.

I'm afraid in this modern world most things are a self certification paper chase and Certificates of Conformity even if they are fantasy are the King, I have serious doubts that the tiny clear lensed LED indicators hidden amongst the garish Christmas Tree rear light clusters on many modern vehicles meet the construction and use legislation, they may do in isolation but surrounded by the glaring red Blackpool illuminations its impossible for me to see them operating.

The MOT manual only imposes specific constraints using the front indicator as a side repeater. There is nothing specific about the visibility of a separate side repeater. 

333318035_Screenshot-06_04_202114_48_33.thumb.png.892d81e2d85b4f068267e64bba14131b.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, silverden said:

My Aliexprees ones do !

Same here, I can see the indicator flash in the little window beside the mirror.

This is the link I have bookmarked from when I ordered but that was over a year ago, I see now they even provide a tool to open the torx screws.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32912405005.html?spm=2114.search0104.3.2.123319b1BwXbdn

Edited by lway
removed extra characters from end of URL

The price has also come down a lot since I bought mine 2 years ago. Paid £45 then, and they didn't come with the tools. Mine have been reliable though and still as bright and clear as the day I fitted them.

Didn't know you could get blue one's. Might be worth fitting some in the front grill ready for the traffic jams when we all go on holiday. 🤔🤣

• 7 months later...

I bought the Superskoda/Copacek version. The little square in the mirror is no longer blinking, and at the side it is also a lot less visible from behind the vehicle. Too bad.

The aliexpress-link provided, according to the pictures in it, also will not light up the little square, so it seems the product has changed?

Does anybody know of a version that for sure is visible from the back and in the little square?

The Youtube video shows it must be possible:

But the link in that video discription (and Iway's link as well) go to a product https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32912405005.html and in the picture of it of the back view, it seems the light is covered by black plastic, so I don't expect it to work as in the video.

The ebay specials are okay....one piece of chinese electronics that haven't broken in my experience!  However, if you want decent units, then it is worth going to Kopacek / SuperSkoda and getting their clear len units.  Don't get the dark len units as you cannot see the repeaters at all.

Kopacek told me the clear leans units act the same as the dark lens. If I understand you correctly, the clear leans acts a little better?

But still I wonder, there apparently used to be versions on Ali/Ebay with the little square in it working and reasonable vision from the back. But I can not find them at the moment.