Want Octavia Mk4 Estate 1.4Tsi iV SE L - but confidence shaken...

DSG kangaroos away when cold? Infotainment bugs/black screens? Traffic assist that constantly chimes warnings and moves the steering wheel? Car emergency stops by itself when driving under bridges? User profiles that don't work?  Rolling/soft suspension around corners? LED headlights on Mk4 not as good as Xenons on Mk3. 

Skoda (VAG) not interested/capable of addressing issues? The owners should be paid as software beta testers (commented on this website/forum).

Oh - and VW Group have interests (owns all the publishers?) for the majority of reviews for the main positive UK reviews on the car...

All this I have fortunately gained from this forum whilst researching.

How did I get to this forum? I have previously owned an Octavia Estate vRS Mk3 from 2010-2017. Loved the car. NEVER when to the garage except for service and tyres. Sold it on principle because of Dieselgate. Didn't trust VAG - but Skoda too? Now a BMW X1 M Sport 2.0d with all the toys. Two recalls - expensive servicing and recently a worn engine mount replaced. Not the same reliability for a car I drive mainly in the same way as the vRS - sedately. Nice car - but 4 years old and time to change.

I was set on the SE L iV - spec'd it came in at £38k. The same spec BMW 3 Touring 330 PHEV is £46k. I saw a BMW demonstrator 6 months old with 3000 miles for £38k too. Which would you buy under the circumstances? Constructive answers welcomed - I check most evenings and will respond. Help!  

Personally I think plug in hybrids only make sense as company cars where they get low BIK %. They tend to be a lot more expensive than their normal ICE counterparts. You’ll only reap the rewards if you do a lot of miles and they’d have to be the right length journeys. 

• Like 1

Only experience I have of BMWs dates back to the 1990s so not relevant hence I can’t comment on any comparison. As for the Skoda...

I would be fair to say that the majority of people posting on this forum would be those experiencing problems or like yourself researching.

The trend seems to be that earlier built Mk4s are the ones with the majority of problems. I got mine at 6 months old, registered in September ‘20 but the build date is before July - a fairly early one, with all the updates applied - those that were available at the time I picked it up (early March ‘21). A few niggles remain however. No ‘show stoppers’, and most are down to my lack of familiarity with modern car technology which is a quantum leap from my previous car (and I’m not ‘computer shy’, been working with and implementing the things since the late 1980s).

Yes, there is a few bugs in the Infotainment System, all of which are pretty minor, and is probably more difficult to set up that it ought to be. The most significant is the units (see the KPH/MPH thread), which in day to day driving is of little consequence - until I go [hopefully] abroad sometime, but is apparently a compliance issue. Skoda are working on it (many and varied are the opinions as to how committed Skoda are!).

The Front Assist, ACC and Lane Assist are really quite good in my opinion. Yes, some ‘interesting’ experiences with warnings and brakes auto applied but in reality its a good reminder of how complacent one can be when driving! On the motorway, I’m now pulling out to overtake earlier than before, creating more space around me on the road - that can only be a good thing. Lane Assist is not intrusive (unlike a Kia hire car I had 18 months ago) and works well with the ACC and is pretty good at recognising vehicles in the lane you’re in and not those in the one to the left. Doesn’t like undertaking though, which again is arguably a good thing.

Ride & Handling? I’ve come from an entry spec Mk2 Superb FL, I reckon the ride in that was a bit better - longer wheelbase and smaller wheels, not so low profile tyres and lower pressures will all contribute to that. The Octy4 is absolutely fine for me and my driving style. Headlights are way better than those on my Superb (not Xenons though).

Space and value are big plus points for the Octy4 Estate, as is fuel economy (early days, but I’m getting about 55mpg from a manual 1.5Tsi). I suggest you try to find as dealer who’ll let you do an extended test drive, chat through user profiles and demonstrate it working with the different keys etc.

Edited by sneal

Like Sneal I'm very happy with my Mk4 and came from the same type of Superb by the sounds of it. Yes the Superb was a bit more roomy but the Octy ticks all the boxes I need even with 3 teenage boys (2 over 6 feet) and a dog!

I have driven a 3 series touring recently and whilst it was nicer to drive, (but it did have the option to change suspension settings which my Octy doesn't), nicer materials inside but it was way more expensive. I've had no issues with mine  and it's a nice place to be in on journeys and well equipped.

I suspect though with you comparing the £38k BMW demonstrator with the Skoda that you specced is not the best method as you're likely to get the Skoda at less than £38k through something like CarWow or Drive the Deal perhaps? I could be wrong, my wife usually tells me I am, but the Octavia gets a thumbs up from me.

Edited by Fishcann
  • Like 1

I am happy with my Mk4 too. It drives very nicely is comfortable and I am getting  use to the technology. The fuel consumption is impressive and I imagine will only improve as the milleage increases. Clearly this is limited at the moment although we did a long trip in the car last October.

I only have two minor gripes; 1) the KPH/MPH issue and 2) whether or not I can pay to have High Beam Assist activated. Neither is a deal breaker for me though.

The build date on mine was 14/08/2020.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Woodgnome60 said:

DSG kangaroos away when cold? Infotainment bugs/black screens? Traffic assist that constantly chimes warnings and moves the steering wheel? Car emergency stops by itself when driving under bridges? User profiles that don't work?  Rolling/soft suspension around corners? LED headlights on Mk4 not as good as Xenons on Mk3. 

All this I have fortunately gained from this forum whilst researching.

Don’t forget this forum as is any other car forum is where owners with problems turn for help. 
You don’t get many owners joining a forum to tell everyone how great their car is.

Another thing to take into consideration is that of total Skoda sales, the few posts on here with perceived faults, some if which turn out to be operator error, are truly a small percentage.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spearmg said:

whether or not I can pay to have High Beam Assist activated

I'm tempted by this too - esp. as it showed up in the Shop on my Infotainment system. It's the £150 that's holding me back - seems like a lot of money to not have to flick a column stalk

Actually - similar specified BMW 330e (PHEV) is £47k, Skoda Octavia SE L 1.4Tsi (PHEV) is £38k so there is a £10k difference comparing new with new.

I will say one thing - the side profile of the car - the Octavia IMHO is much better proportioned, the 3 Series' bonnet is slightly too long. I'm still thinking on it.

I can't understand how one can compare BMW and Skoda brands. These two are on different levels. I guess you also need to take into account future expenses. Here in Slovenia BMW is much more premium brand as Skoda. Base prices are higher, service costs are higher, etc

11 hours ago, TheUltraRunner said:

I can't understand how one can compare BMW and Skoda brands. These two are on different levels. I guess you also need to take into account future expenses. Here in Slovenia BMW is much more premium brand as Skoda. Base prices are higher, service costs are higher, etc

You are of course quite right. I've just specified two different brands to the same specification and BMW is 20% higher price. I was debating more about whether that premium was worth it on a car unlikely to have any problems? Although I have negotiated the BMW with a 10% discount to £41k - I haven't tried with the Skoda which is still £38k recommended price. I suppose I could look at other brands - but Hyundai and Kia have a different car heating system - where you cannot drive their PHEVs in pure hybrid mode when it's cold (the heaters force the engine to run) - which I don't want. I've dismissed Ford / Vauxhall - but I guess this forum isn't about alternate brands!! 

• 1 month later...

As a footnote - I bought a brand new Mercedes Benz today. C220d Estate AMG Night Premium Line for £32,835.50 in Brilliant Blue Metallic. RRP £44900. It's the end of the model line (reliable?) and so Mercedes is reducing them by £10k in the UK. It came in at about £4k less than the Octavia IV (hybrid). Not a like for like specification, I know, but hope I will be happy with the choice.