Kodiaq Facelift Revealed

13_NEW_SKODA_KODIAQ.jpg

The ŠKODA KODIAQ: successful SUV, further refined

› Full LED Matrix headlights make their ŠKODA KODIAQ debut
› New top-of-the-range engine for the sporty ŠKODA KODIAQ RS
› The ŠKODA design language further developed, and new alloy wheels
› Exceptionally spacious interior with attractive visual and technological features

Mladá Boleslav, 13 April 2021 – Revamp of the KODIAQ: roughly four years after ŠKODA launched the first model in its SUV campaign, the carmaker has now upgraded the globally successful KODIAQ. The Czech brand has further developed the emotive design of the KODIAQ, which can also be ordered as a 7-seater, and improved its aerodynamics. For the first time, the range of options for this large ŠKODA SUV includes innovative full LED Matrix headlights. The sporty range-topping KODIAQ RS has not only had a visual makeover but has also been given a new, more powerful TSI engine. The updated KODIAQ will be available from July 2021.

Exterior: redesigned front, and more rugged look

LED Matrix technology makes its KODIAQ debut

The innovative full LED Matrix headlights are available for the first time for the ŠKODA KODIAQ, as an option from the Ambition trim level and as standard in the L&K and RS variants. The technology allows drivers to have the high beam on at all times without dazzling other road users. A camera on the windscreen detects vehicles as well as people and objects reflecting the light, and the intelligent lighting technology then automatically turns off individual segments of the light beam. Full LED Matrix headlights also provide different lighting modes for various situations and weather conditions, such as driving in the city, on the motorway, in the rain or fog. The standard version of the LED headlights has separate LED modules for low beam and high beam, as well as for the daytime running lights, position lights and indicators. Halogen bulbs are used for the lower positioned fog lights.

image.png.61c815bd7b238214841771b15bc41e08.png

Restyled bumpers

The ŠKODA designers have also redesigned the bumpers. The body-coloured, sculptured front apron features a crystalline, mesh-effect air inlet in the lower section, with L-shaped finishing touches on the sides that look like air curtains. An aerodynamically optimised, black-grained front spoiler with an aluminium-effect trim completes the front apron. The diffuser at the rear features the same design, with a sculptured body-coloured bumper. Below the wide loading sill, a black-grained strip flanked by two crystalline rear reflectors emphasises the vehicle’s width. The KODIAQ RS now features a distinct, dynamically designed model-specific front bumper.

image.png.3f68b7e4cea4a1aeb371d33c9be0f1ef.png

Gloss black rear spoiler and clean-cut LED tail lights

The new rear spoiler in gloss black makes the body of the KODIAQ appear longer than it actually is. Together with side finlets, as seen in aircraft construction, the rear spoiler improves the car’s aerodynamics thereby reducing its CO2 emissions. The third brake light is incorporated into the spoiler, and the rear window below that is narrower than before. This reinforces the SUV’s dynamic look, as do the slimmer, sharply designed tail lights. They feature full LED technology as standard even in the Active trim line. From the Ambition trim upwards, they also come with dynamic indicators and an animated welcome effect. The tail lights are eye-catching with their crystalline structures and form the ŠKODA-typical C-shaped light cluster.

ŠKODA KODIAQ - Infographic

New alloys measuring up to 20 inches

The ŠKODA KODIAQ’s powerful appearance is reinforced by the car’s bold, sculptured and black-grained side skirts made of robust plastic, as well as the substantial wheel arches at the front and rear with striking trims, also made of black-grained plastic. The KODIAQ comes with alloys measuring 17 to 20 inches. The wheels, some of which have been restyled, feature a striking, ŠKODA-typical design and further enhance the SUV’s rugged appearance, while aerodynamically optimised 18- to 20-inch wheels contribute to reducing the vehicle’s aerodynamic drag. The KODIAQ RS comes with new burnished 20-inch, metallic black Sagitarius alloy wheels that feature aerodynamically optimised plastic covers. The 18-inch Askella, 19-inch Cursa and 20-inch Merope alloys also make their KODIAQ debut.

image.png.7e5020f4c9dd170ed68abd99652ed71d.png

Interior: further comfort features take the interior to a new level

Increased comfort due to optional ergonomic seats

For the first time, the ŠKODA KODIAQ is available with a choice of electrically adjustable ergonomic seats. They are covered in perforated leather, can be heated and ventilated, and offer a massage function. The depth of the seat can be adjusted manually if required; the memory function saves personal settings and restores them at the touch of a button. The L&K variant features perforated-leather front seats including adjustable ventilation as standard. Eco seats, featuring high-quality seat covers made of vegan, recycled materials, are available as an option for the Ambition and Style trims. The standard seats in the Ambition trim level are upholstered in a new fabric, while the M pack for Style offers fabric/leather seats as standard.

image.png.31d37a312f208a0ff5e2bd424a5cfda7.png

Enhanced CANTON sound system

The optional CANTON sound system was also upgraded when the ŠKODA KODIAQ was revised. In addition to the central speaker in the dashboard and the subwoofer in the boot, the system now comes with ten speakers instead of the previous eight. The two new speakers are located in the front door panels and are framed by a circular chrome trim. The CANTON sound system which boasts an output of 575 watts comes as standard in the KODIAQ L&K.

image.png.13daeaca5679c0dcb083fa1b9cd7ff90.png

New petrol engine for the KODIAQ RS

The sporty top-of-the-range KODIAQ RS has not only been provided with a visual makeover but also with a new engine. The 2.0 TSI petrol engine comes from Volkswagen Group’s EVO generation and has a power output of 180 kW (245 PS), making it 4 kW (5 PS) more powerful than the predecessor’s biturbo diesel. At the same time, this engine is more than 60 kg lighter than the TDI. Together with the new 7-speed DSG, which is 5.2 kg lighter, this power unit’s performance is even better. The two other petrol engines, the 1.5 TSI producing 110 kW (150 PS) and the 2.0 TSI with an output of 140 kW (190 PS), as well as the 2.0 TDIs delivering 110 kW (150 PS) and 147 kW (200 PS), also come from Volkswagen Group’s latest EVO generation.

09_NEW_SKODA_KODIAQ-1440x960.jpg

image.png.42c198016456599bdde326c6f2f41191.png

skoda_kodiaq_exterior_highlights_i.thumb.jpg.b3e8cb7664b7b3e760e5b627678d8b80.jpg

skoda_kodiaq_exterior_highlights_ii.thumb.jpg.7d3d87ff6dc2f05e6356fc1035e23409.jpg

skoda_kodiaq_interior.thumb.jpg.4bf388141f892c37192b250670ac1500.jpg

skoda_kodiaq_exterior_highlights_rs_i.thumb.jpg.26e2432d72cf7c325788f2f4c8696308.jpg

skoda_kodiaq_exterior_highlights_rs_ii.thumb.jpg.cd5832067b7d1f0b77d3a207bc4354f9.jpg

skoda_kodiaq_interior_rs.thumb.jpg.cf34f4360ffae481550e86689534f10b.jpg

image.png

Edited by ZacDaMan72
add highlights
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, linni said:

The sporty range-topping KODIAQ RS has not only had a visual makeover but has also been given a new, more powerful TSI engine. 

And that is?

245PS 2.0 TSI

So as we thought, matrix lights and not much else of benefit over existing.

Those wheels with the plastic covers on the RS are hideous.

I'd say get the diesel RS before they are gone as the loss of 500nm is the real disappointment, regardless of the 180kw/370nm petrol and 60kg less. New one will be slightly faster looking at Tiguen's numbers with same motor, but won't be as easy or economical as the current motor I'd guess.

Edited by snala

Skoda's DRL game seem to be going backwards - DRLs no longer turning into indicators, little dinky ones instead, on the cop cars. rear indicator lacks visibility. would much rather a bold solid one at the rear, eg newer BMWs, than scrolling

12 minutes ago, chrisluciofg said:

Skoda's DRL game seem to be going backwards - DRLs no longer turning into indicators, little dinky ones instead, on the cop cars

Not sure what relevance this has to the facelift Kodiaq or who even asked but thanks for the input. 

NZ Police cars don’t have the Matrix LED headlights so don’t get the ‘switchback’ indicators, just like your old poverty spec Superb. 

Dynamic indicators I can live without, the front end of the new one looks nice but the wheels on the RS look disgusting. One of the vehicles looks like it has a round steering wheel ? If so what's with that & another poor design move.

I think the current kodiaq look better overall.

2 minutes ago, whitevx said:

Dynamic indicators I can live without, the front end of the new one looks nice but the wheels on the RS look disgusting. One of the vehicles looks like it has a round steering wheel ? If so what's with that & another poor design move.

I think the current kodiaq look better overall.

Somewhere in the press release it says that it’s got aerodynamic covers so I’d assume you can take them off. Do agree that they look horrendous and it’s the first thing I’d do to one. But at least the RS now has its own front bumper that isn’t just a Sportline one with two pieces of gloss plastic. 

1 hour ago, whitevx said:

Why do those wheels look like they havea BMW centre cap ?

publicq?square=0&dokNo=P90367313&attachm

Does that lower front bumper remind you of something that got launched today or is it just me?

26 minutes ago, ZacDaMan72 said:

publicq?square=0&dokNo=P90367313&attachm

Does that lower front bumper remind you of something that got launched today or is it just me?

I can see a vague similarly and that also explains the BMW rims too. The BMW rims on the Skoda look alot better than the ones on the RS

If there isn’t going to be one then they have missed my purchase. The dealer was sure that would surface with the face lift. I will look at the MB GLC diesel plug in hybrid. 

18 minutes ago, Danny 57 said:

If there isn’t going to be one then they have missed my purchase. The dealer was sure that would surface with the face lift. I will look at the MB GLC diesel plug in hybrid. 

You could take a look at the Seat Tarraco hybrid?

Good suggestion the Seat’s have sharper handling but the quality IMO is not the same and no hybrid nor heated windscreen or ventilated seats. Mind you the GLC doesn’t have the last two either. 

Edited by Danny 57

5 hours ago, ZacDaMan72 said:

You could take a look at the Seat Tarraco hybrid?

Not available in UK, the specs of what is available is here

https://web1.seat.co.uk/sites/default/files/seat_ra_file/tarraco-pricelist-apr-2021.pdf

UK spec Tarraco are made at VWs Wolfsburg factory

Feels like a missed opportunity for the Kodiaq. Looks like they do not want it to succeed. The looks are a step backward from the current generation. The wheels of the RS that cover the red brake pads, remind me of non-alloy wheels with hub caps :thumbdown: . They plonked the Octavia RS engine into the Kody, it shd have atleast been the 280ch one that was in the Superb before. Hardly anything to be excited about.

Edited by ThreeSixty
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, ThreeSixty said:

Feels like a missed opportunity for the Kodiaq. Looks like they do not want it to succeed. The looks are a step backward from the current generation. The wheels of the RS that cover the red brake pads, remind me of non-alloy wheels with hub caps :thumbdown: . They plonked the Octavia RS engine into the Kody, it shd have atleast been the 280ch one that was in the Superb before. Hardly anything to be excited about.

It’s painfully obvious to me that ŠKODA have had to peg the momentum they’ve had in the recent years because of Volkswagen. There’s absolutely no reason why they shouldn’t be using the 280PS engine derivative from Superb when the Cupra Ateca/Tiguan R both have a 30+ horsepower advantage. Volkswagen have made it quite clear that they don’t want ŠKODA to be better than Volkswagen at what they do. 

Edited by ZacDaMan72