SUPERB 190 PETROL SPORTLINE OR MK 4 VRS ..

Afternoon chaps .   Coming off a Mrk 3 petrol DSG VRS and looking for next car . I;'ve driven the Mark 4 VRS, and very nice, but  noisy, and think would def need DCC .  Just off a test drive of a Superb Sportline. It was a 190 diesel, but was more to  get a feel for comfort and refinement compared to the VRS .  Definitely quieter and more comfortable.  Also, obviously not as nimble in the corners, but most of the time it will have kids in the car anyway .

The preference would be for the 280/272 petrol Superb, but contract hire just far too expensive, although potential for 2 year old PCP.

Just wanted to see if anyone had experience of the 190 petrol Superb?  Sorry if been done to death elsewhere but couldn't see it .  All the reviews seem to be of the 280 and the 220, and the 190 does seem a good step down .  Not going to be a racing car, but don't want it ever feeling underpowered, loaded with kids and holiday stuff 

if went for the 190, then the standard suspension seemed fine and not sure if would need it,  but the sunroof might be nice 

190 petrol Sportline estate with sunroof    v   Mk 4 VRS with sunroof and DCC ,  both pretty much bang on £400 a month on contract hire ( Henry's Glasgow ) 

thanks 

I came from a mkii vrs and the Superb is unsurprisingly slower (but more economical) . I took the view that it's going to be more of a cruiser, and in that regard it's great, far quieter and better riding. 

Power wise it's fine, and coped well with a boot full of holiday clober and 3 bikes on the back. 

I've also been pleasantly surprised on the bends, it turns in keenly enough to cause a grumble from the passanger seat. 

A deciding factor for me was that my son sat in the back of the Superb and declared it to be business class; he wasn't convinced by the octavia  in the same way! 

• Like 1

I’ve made the swap from Mk3 Octy to Mk3 Superb and have tried but was utterly deflated by the Mk4 Octy. The extra space, spec, quality and having a tried and tested platform in a world of gripes with early MQBEvo cars all conspired to put me in the Superb. Mine is a 190 diesel and I found it felt much stronger than the 190 petrol which wouldn’t usually put me off but the Gen 3 EA888 190 runs the IS12 and higher compression ratio than the older cars so may not be as good a candidate for tuning. That’s a moot point if you a leasing of course, so if the performance is a key factor, another car from the VAG group could be more suitable as they seem totally against the idea of selling you a fast Skoda.

• Like 1

Thanks .  interesting that you find the diesel stronger than the petrol, but that does back up my concerns about the petrol being a little bit lacking . Would only be a lease so not a huge deal , but mainly do in town mileage so dont want any doc issues. If only the vrs was a bit quieter . I’m sure my mark 2 and 3 were quieter.Out of interest what were your issues with the mark 4 Octavia ?thanks 

Mk4 gripes included but weren’t limited to the buggy and laggy MIB3 (though you get that on the 2021 Superb as well, my 2020 Facelift non iV has the MIB2.5 which has been flawless), the quality of the plastics and fit and finish was noticeably poorer than my Mk3, the seat fabric felt cheap and marked easily, no vRS logo’s on the rear seats which looks cheap too, no option to upgrade seats yet to half leather to combat that (though it doesn’t help the cheap plastics, especially in the rear), very little extra space inside over the Mk3, no interesting colours (now we have Mamba Green though so that’s something) and the biggest issue is that the spec needs too many options for me to consider a worthy alternative to my Mk3. The Superb also needed a spec bump but at 14 months old and 6500 miles it had lost £15.5k so it made sense for me to get a nearly new one with the options I wanted as brand new even with discounts was far too much £.

• Like 1

I be got a 190 sport line petrol and I am pleased with it. I have always looked on Skoda with suspicion but having done a lot of research concluded that for the money they could not be beaten.  I toyed with the idea of the 280 petrol but concluded in the real world it just used too much fuel. I purchased a few months old with just under 7k on the clock and saved about 15k in the process. The car has plenty of power for everyday motoring, I was in fact surprised how well it performs considering its size. 
so far I am a happy convert. 

• Like 1

The petrol 190 2.0tsi uses the B-cycle EA888. 

From what I know it gives good economy so that is something to consider if it's important. 

Overall I'd imagine the superb will be better overall due to it being bigger (roomier) and can't imagine the refinement to be any worse. 

Get the VRS if performance is important.

thanks Italian job, is it eh the usual gripes that would make you vote for the Superb ?  VRS too noisy etc ?  I've now got contract hire quotes for the VRS with DCC, and the 190 petrol Sportline .  Virtually the same, and that's with sunroof on both .   both 25 week lead time unfortunately 

6 minutes ago, billblacoe said:

thanks Italian job, is it eh the usual gripes that would make you vote for the Superb ?  VRS too noisy etc ?  I've now got contract hire quotes for the VRS with DCC, and the 190 petrol Sportline .  Virtually the same, and that's with sunroof on both .   both 25 week lead time unfortunately 

Why do you think the vRS is too noisy? Mine is almost silent apart from a bit of tyre/wind noise. If anything it's  far too quiet!

The main gripes with the vRS are all around the infotainment/controls, they are just not user friendly and so glitchy. The vRS does drive really well but I'm definitely getting another Superb! 

• Like 1

THANKS .  yes I found it very noisy on the test drive. Possibly the 19 inch wheels compared to 18 inch on my current Mk 3.   yeah I agree though,  I don't know what's wrong with good old buttons 

12 hours ago, David55 said:

Agree buttons are easy to locate when driving.

BMW idrive is a menace when in motion when a simple old button would do. 

BMW isn't worse case, tryout Audi A6.

All new Volkswagen Auto Group's models lose physical buttons :(

also not so happy about loss of DSG gear stick, what means, vote goes to Superb

18 hours ago, billblacoe said:

I would be very wary of any lead time of 25 weeks.  
25 weeks is nearly half a year, and usually translates as currently unable to place an order for a definite build slot, but not going to quote longer even if possibly going to be nearer 30+ weeks.

The tyre noise might be due to cold weather, the sporty summer tyres can be hard and rumble when cold.   The solution is to change to good all season tyres, swap them front-back about 13k miles, then get the originals put back on (having stored them in your garage) before your contract expires and you return the car.

Personally I would go for Superb for refinement.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

morning all, so lease of the VRS mk 3 coming to an end.  Even though only 11k miles  on it, we've made the decision not to buy it.  main thing is additional safety for the family of new cars .  if it just happens to be nice and shiny and nippy then all the better.

Seems like we can extend the lease for 6 mths and it;'s flexible and can come out earlier if required. Also, option to extend further if ordered a car through VWFS ( which I think we're going to do and just accept the long lead time ). Henrys in Glasgow have been excellent and keen to stay with them.

So for the same £3k deposit,  can get a VRS petrol DSG estate with DCC for about £370 a month. Down to c £340 without DCC, but I think that would make the car much better. If went this route then would prob add on sunroof as well ( nice change ) and this takes it to £403.

...or can get a Superb  272/280   for £475 a month.   Assuming DCC on the VRS is a must-have, then  it's £370 v £475.   The Boss in the house makes the annoying logical point that this car is only used mainly for the school run so within reason we should just get the cheapest  ( we drove  a Pug 508 estate last week 180..and she commented that too slow for overtaking.....there is a 225 bhp one but can't find one to test drive ...very pretty, but less space in side for kids "stuff" ) .

If did some make believe accounting then deposit of £4k on the Superb , brings monthly payments down to £447.

Still feels an awful lot when current lease is £298 .

Any thoughts . Anyone happy with their Mk 4 VRS ?    For those with the Superb, is the size of it a pain in town ( as that;s where it;ll be for 90% of the time ) 

thanks 

A few years ago I seriously considered leasing after a mate got an Octy VRS 245 for something ridiculous like £160/month with about £2k down. However, those deals just aren't around any more and from the numbers that you are posting, assuming it is a 3 year lease and you are paying an initial payment of £4k (which seems to be what you are suggesting) then you would pay over £21,000 over 3 years only to hand it back at the end with nothing to show for it.

Personally, I would go for something like this:

2019 Grey SKODA Superb 2.0 TSI 190 Sport Line Plus 5dr DSG for sale for £23800 in Edinburgh, Midlothian (autotrader.co.uk)

Obviously a few £k more but you get to keep the car at the end, which will probably still be worth about £15k in 3 years time. If you don't have the funds then get a bank loan as opposed to rip off finance from the dealer.

• Like 1

Another vote for the Superb having come from a mk4 Octy that I rejected.

I have the TSI 190 SportLine, more than enough get up and go. Mine was an exe Skoda UK car with 1300 on the clock. After all the discounts various parties gave me, it came out as £9 more a month than the mk4 etec. 

Very recently went down West Country,  great drive and returned in the mid 40’s. Wasn’t hanging around but not driving silly as the kid was in the car. Was very happy with how it got down the road. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, billblacoe said:

...or can get a Superb  272/280   for £475 a month.   Assuming DCC on the VRS is a must-have, then  it's £370 v £475.   The Boss in the house makes the annoying logical point that this car is only used mainly for the school run 

we drove  a Pug 508 estate last week 180..and she commented that too slow for overtaking.....there is a 225 bhp one but can't find one to test drive

For those with the Superb, is the size of it a pain in town

Does the Superb also include DCC? I wouldn’t have another without it.

Had some PSA experience - would say that the Superb has a much more solid feel to it, plus the DSG far nicer than the PSA auto box (if you were wanting auto there).

I find the Superb is fine in towns. It doesn’t feel like a massive car to drive, there are plenty of “executive” cars that are wider. Length isn’t excessive for normal parking spaces either. I don’t have a rear camera, just the all-round sensors. Never found it a problem, just make sure I look up the space to see what is there before reversing into it.

But – from the posts on the 280/272 thread – are you bothered about the eye-watering consumption you’re going to get if all you are doing is town school runs? Is a VRS Octy just as fuel hungry? If not, you may want to factor that into your monthly cost. (p.s. I would love to change to a 280/272 if I had the opportunity!)

• Like 1

Town driving will kill petrol consumption on both the 245 TSI VRS and 280 Superbs. I didn’t find much difference overall in the consumption of my 245 Golf or my present car. Both are DSG and  10-15% thirstier than my manual 220 VRS even when it was mapped to more than 290 Bhp. 

• Like 1

thanks Ivan8192.   The superb at the moment doesn't have DCC.  I've driven a 190 diesel and a 190 petrol without it, and still felt more comfortable than the VRS .  I know that the Superb is prob daft to have for school runs...although VRS poss the same .   I drove and old Volvo S60 T5 to work. Now 20 yrs old . If it ever goes pop,then the missus will get a little school run about and I get the big new car : )....but the Volvo will live forever .   Size of the car is mainly coming from my wife for said school run .  Re DCC I've looked at second hand L&K,  but say a 2018 one at £25-27k ish, will still come in north of £400 pm on PCP . Basically same cost of new lease car .   I also think that the Superb SE L is about £40 cheaper a month...but that just feels a bit too grown up. "Only" 49 so not properly grown up yet   .

Only do c 7k a miles so fuel consumption not a major issue .  VRS has been very good though. Get 40+ on  a run .  thought about 190 Superb...but the first time it wheelspins I'll wish it was 4x4 ! 

22 minutes ago, billblacoe said:

Size of the car is mainly coming from my wife for said school run . 

Re DCC I've looked at second hand L&K,  but say a 2018 one at £25-27k ish

From this car size comparison website, Superb is 18cm, 3.5cm wider. So not a massive difference if your wife was happy enough parking the VRS amongst other school traffic. Plus it can park itself :happy: 

That price sounds high to me but I haven’t been following the market. I paid that sort of money for an ex-demo, with a couple of thousand miles on it, back in Feb 2018, only a few months old.

I really suggest seeing if you can test drive a DCC Superb, particularly as you’ve been used to what must be a relatively firm setup in the VRS. Pot-holed, patchwork town roads really benefit from soft settings to soak up the unevenness. Then hard settings for twisty country roads. Without the DCC you’re stuck with a “middle of the road” setup that has attracted lots of disappointed comments on here.

• Like 1

Having had both a Superb and an Octavia, I can say that the Superb doesn't feel significantly different in size when driving it :) 

Edited by Pagan-Image
Clarity
  • Like 1