Short number plates fit? Mk3.5 vrs

Looking into getting a vrs soon. 

Just wondering if short number plates fit on the car front and rear or is there backing plates that make it look odd?

Pictures would be great 

I'd be tempted to take off the original plate and ensure some wonky eyed dealers apprentice hasn't drilled extra holes that will be revealed by your new shorty plate. More than one over on the OVRS Facebook page have taken off their full size plate to find holes that have been drilled outside of the normal places and aren't covered by a short plate. Probably OK on black but anything else is going to leave an ugly problem

• Like 1

Just a reminder that you can be fined for having such a plate.

I found this:

The DVLA state " The Police can issue fixed penality fines for illegally displayed

numberplates,offenders are liable to a maximum fine of £1000, and in some cases the mark can be removed. Vehicles with illegally displayed numberplates may be subject to MOT test failure.

Now ask yourself is it worth the effort when you're probably going to get grief from the old bill?

Hi S, your right, its not illegal. 

I think TW was talking about the silver on black number plate. 

I was pulled over once for having such plates, but i was in a 1973 car, it was registered before the new type number plate law came in. Have a safe journey sir. 🚔

2 hours ago, Swirly182 said:

But the spacing and font remain correct. Are they illegal? 

There's more to number plates than just spacing and font these days. Take a look at INF104 taken from gov uk rules number plates.

It states:

The British Standard for number plates
The British Standard sets out the characteristics of the number plate. This includes visibility, strength and reflectivity. To meet the British Standard, each number plate must be permanently and legibly marked with the:
• British Standard number (currently BS AU 145d) from 1 September 2021 a new standard will become mandatory for all new number plates fitted from that date (BS AU 145e) but can be used from 1 January 2021
• name, trademark or other way of identifying the manufacturer or supplier
• name and postcode of the supplying outlet

Based on that, the short plates shown above aren't legal as they don't show any of that information.

I doubt most Police officers would care but if they wanted to make an example of you, they could :)

• Thanks 1

I think it was more the size of the plate that's in question, rather than the lack of text. I've looked at the linked guidance and can't see the width dimension stated. Just says 11mm margins which, with a XX XXX private plate, is complied with. 

• 4 months later...
4 hours ago, TheWanderer said:

There has been a change AGAIN in number plate legislation. So be careful out there!

BS AU 145e

.........and from what I can gather, it's to ensure ANPR cameras (fixed and mobile) are able to read the plates.

However, I would hope we're not all expected to have to go and buy a new plate. Can't see anywhere saying that.

4 minutes ago, tunedude said:

However, I would hope we're not all expected to have to go and buy a new plate. Can't see anywhere saying that.

You're not, it'll only apply to plates being sold/fitted after the introduction date.

So for brand new cars there'd be no excuse not to have a 145e plate but anything older than the introduction of the legislation updated standard, would be difficult for them to do anything about in practice as they'd struggle to prove whether the plate was fitted before/after the change.

Full on show plates without any markings at all will be taking the same risk as they've always taken really.

Edited by Kenai
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, TheWanderer said:

It's also to do with the UK leaving the EU, if you want a badge on the plate, can't remember what it is you have to have, but the old ones are going to be illegal in the EU. 

This sounds a bit over the top and i'm not sure you meant it to.

After the end of September, to drive in the EU you'll need a 'UK' identifier rather than a 'GB' one. If your number plates don't have a UK identifier on them, then you need a sticker.

On or after 28 September 2021

You will need to display a UK sticker clearly on the rear of your vehicle if your number plate has any of the following:

• a GB identifier with the Union flag (also known as the Union Jack)
  • a Euro symbol
  • a national flag of England, Scotland or Wales
  • numbers and letters only - no flag or identifier

If your number plate includes the UK identifier with the Union flag (also known as the Union Jack), you do not need a UK sticker.

If you’re in Spain, Cyprus or Malta, you must display a UK sticker no matter what is on your number plate.

If you have a GB sticker, cover or remove it.

Saying they'll be 'illegal' is a bit dramatic, you're not going to get chased down by the French police as you drive off the ferry because your numberplate has GB or EU on it still, as long as you have the appropriate UK sticker instead.

Well when things return to normal and day trips via the tunnel are available, I'll let you find out. 

I think thing's between the UK and France are a little frosty and I have a tendency to think that they might try and flex their muscles when it comes to traffic offences as it's easy money. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Kenai said:

Saying they'll be 'illegal' is a bit dramatic, you're not going to get chased down by the French police as you drive off the ferry because your numberplate has GB or EU on it still, as long as you have the appropriate UK sticker instead.

I think "les rosbeoff" might get nicked, but "les Ecossaise" will get off "Scot free". :)

• Haha 1

Well there's an easy way to find out now - are people with numberplates that have no identifier or the old EU identifier but a GB sticker getting routinely nicked and fined by the French police now?

If they are, i've obviously missed this bit of news.

All that's changing is having to display 'UK' instead of 'GB', thanks to some pointless politics, supposedly to do with not upsetting NI.

Much like driving with an old EU identifier plate now, it's not illegal to have it on your car abroad, it just doesn't fulfill the requirements to display the correct identifier anymore, so you have to supplement it (or change it if you don't want to use a sticker).

Edited by Kenai

45 minutes ago, TheWanderer said:

Well when things return to normal and day trips via the tunnel are available, I'll let you find out. 

I think thing's between the UK and France are a little frosty and I have a tendency to think that they might try and flex their muscles when it comes to traffic offences as it's easy money. 

oh aye, the gendarme will be waiting just as you're coming out the chunnel Calais exit with their ticket book in one hand and their gun in the other