Full Sized Tyre as Spare

For those wondering - yes, u can fit a full size spare in a Superb.

A small trim off the plastic edging, and it fits very easily 👍🏽

Easy to remove and put the tyre in too.

Boot carpet sits about 3 cm higher, but u don't notice it. 

Top pic shows the lip trimmed off.

1463925455_16209057684462.thumb.jpg.cd2ed1c8663544a7a5cedeca8bbe3111.jpg

Comparison below.....

1100454753_16210441561202.thumb.jpg.d25c5ef398454d8b33fa7dc99d7f5082.jpg

Existing plastic lock nut in place.

IMG_15052021_112941_(1080_x_1544_pixel).thumb.jpg.807efec7858aa858333cbeb3e26b5d89.jpg

Tyre Foam kit in place....

IMG_15052021_113022_(1080_x_672_pixel).thumb.jpg.0ec139b86a063e28f7ea335fd563792d.jpg

A real spare now!!

IMG_15052021_112924_(1080_x_1709_pixel).thumb.jpg.7050f38278470ea469a4590893aff5ad.jpg

Edited by JR RS
  • Like 2
  • Love it! 1
  • Thanks 1

Amazing timing, I came here to look for such a post this morning only to see it was posted 4hr ago  :thumbup:    So, two questions:

a) Mine came without a spare wheel set, (no scissor jack or spanner either), just the tire fix kit non-sense and the moulding cannot obviously accomodate a spare wheel:

IMG_20210515_113035.thumb.jpg.90e05ab9948285f0808143d5e8361a00.jpg

Also, when I remove the moulding, I don't see the plastic stud/screw that is used to secure the full size kit in place, is it part of the spare wheel kit and can it be mounted properly to that cut in the middle of the floor mine has??

IMG_20210515_113050.thumb.jpg.ffb391fa2ada20e6afc148c5fbe0d926.jpg

b)  In terms of the actual spare wheel, could I use one from my winter set if need be? And would I be able to continue my trip at a steady 120km/h?

The overall diameter difference is less than 2mm  (670.6mm vs 668.7mm) which to me sounds as it could have also been the result of unequal tire inflation between two identical wheels. I even took both wheels out and compared them in terms of circumference and you wouldn't be able to tell one was slightly larger than the other by naked eye or even buy the use of basic rulers that I employed for my comparison, they were looking that identical.

Not sure if the AWD system would pick that up though or if the ESP could be potentially affected by even such a minor diameter difference. I could always pump the pressure up on the smaller wheel by a few PSI extra I reckon? 

I have quite a long roadtrip planned in the coming week and I am considering my options...

Edited by newbie69
  • Like 1

@newbie69could you source a jack, wheel Brace etc from a wrecking yard that deals with VW/Audi/Skoda vehicles? You may even be able to rig up a pin design to secure the spare tyre ?

In relation to the wheel speed sensor part, it may flick up a code as the sensors may realise its got two different sized tyres. Having said this im still new to the product, and may not have all the knowledge others have. I think either @JR RS or even @SashaGrace may be more knowledgeable than myself.

Best of luck either way.

8 minutes ago, whitevx said:

@newbie69could you source a jack, wheel Brace etc from a wrecking yard that deals with VW/Audi/Skoda vehicles? You may even be able to rig up a pin design to secure the spare tyre ?

In relation to the wheel speed sensor part, it may flick up a code as the sensors may realise its got two different sized tyres. Having said this im still new to the product, and may not have all the knowledge others have. I think either @JR RS or even @SashaGrace may be more knowledgeable than myself.

Best of luck either way.

I can order the OEM spare wheel kit with the correct moulding to fit inside the wheel and the tools that come with it. it's not a matter of cost or how to find it, it's around 50 EUR i think for the complete set (minus the wheel) and a Skoda dealership can provide it within a couple of days.

I was more curious as to whether the central plastic screw is meant to be mounted to the chassis or it is merely part of the moulding and the whole "kit + wheel" are independent/not mounted to the chassis.

Regarding to the winter wheel as I said, it's really less than 2mm difference in circumference on paper, and with a slightly greater inflation than the other 3 I reckon it'd be impossible to detect any difference. But I haven't tried it and I'd rather know what to expect and if it could work before I am forced to test it along the way, probably in some foreign land.

Edited by newbie69

24 minutes ago, newbie69 said:

I was more curious as to whether the central plastic screw is meant to be mounted to the chassis or it is merely part of the moulding and the whole "kit + wheel" are independent/not mounted to the chassis.

@newbie69 - It is anchored/fixed to the boot floor chasis.

It's not part of the foam moulding toolkit bit.

I don't know if the screw can fitted to the point u mentioned.

Maybe, but u'd have to access the other end from underneath somehow.

Just now, Ivan8192 said:

The OEM “foam” moulding will only fit with the 50mph space saver. It won’t fit with a full size spare. 

That is incorrect as it fits nicely inside the 19" wheel.  Did u not see my pics above?

1432745226_PXL_20210515_0654104872.thumb.jpg.e7f758b0fe88c5ea584d3e70ad22cad9.jpg

1 minute ago, JR RS said:

That is incorrect as it fits nicely inside the 19" wheel.  Did u not see my pics above?

1432745226_PXL_20210515_0654104872.thumb.jpg.e7f758b0fe88c5ea584d3e70ad22cad9.jpg

Well that is strange, I could not get it to fit in mine (18”) without it being really proud of the wheel, I shall have to give it another go. 

15 minutes ago, JR RS said:

This is what mine looks like, so have you trimmed the foam down to get it to fit? I didn’t want to do that at the time as it was new and I wanted to be able to put it back with the space saver. 

2915AA85-2404-4221-8BA7-CAAC0CDAC07B.jpeg

@Ivan8192- urs must b an AWD, hence it has the skinny 18" space saver spare.  That would explain why ur tyre kit foam mould is different to mine.

Mine is a non-AWD.  I get a non-skinny 16" space saver.  I didn't trim the foam moulding at all on mine.

Is the wheel well shallower (not so deep) in the AWD versions? maybe?

Edited by JR RS

27 minutes ago, JR RS said:

@newbie69 - It is anchored/fixed to the boot floor chasis.

It's not part of the foam moulding toolkit bit.

I don't know if the screw can fitted to the point u mentioned.

Maybe, but u'd have to access the other end from underneath somehow.

That's exactly what I was wondering.

I guess your car came WITH the spare wheel kit? In which case the floor had the plastic screw integrated from factory correct? 

I somehow thought you retro-fitted the kit, going from a tire fix kit to a spare kit one and adding the screw, but on a second reading I may have misunerstood the topic! Probably it was about the fact you can get a 19" instead of a space saver wheel right?

1 minute ago, newbie69 said:

That's exactly what I was wondering.

I guess your car came WITH the spare wheel kit? In which case the floor had the plastic screw integrated from factory correct? 

I somehow thought you retro-fitted the kit, going from a tire fix kit to a spare kit one and adding the screw, but on a second reading I may have misunerstood the topic! Probably it was about the fact you can get a 19" instead of a space saver wheel right?

Correct, mine was factory supplied with a 16" spare tyre kit.  

I didn't retrofit it.

This thread is showing that u can indeed fit a full size 19" wheel in there, as many before have said it won't fit. 

It's true if u don't trim the small lip bit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JR RS said:

@Ivan8192- urs must b an AWD, hence it has the skinny 18" space saver spare.  That would explain why ur tyre kit foam mould is different to mine.

Mine is a non-AWD.  I get a non-skinny 16" space saver.  I didn't trim the foam moulding at all on mine.

Is the wheel well shallower (not so deep) in the AWD versions? maybe?

No, it’s just a FWD L&K 150. Probably country-specific differences in the spare wheel provision. The full-size wheel is a couple of cm proud as yours (originally posted here) so expect wheel well is same. 

Apparently there are two types of spare wheel kit mouldings. The smaller one as in JR's car and the bigger one as in Ivan's. When I look up the type for mine in some websites it shows the larger one with the protruding arms:

https://www.skoda-parts.com/spare-part/3v0093860c-spare-wheel-replacement-kit-skoda-40305.html

According to Ivan, that type cannot fit inside a 18" wheel (that's the size of my winters) without trimming. Maybe the removal of the plastic bit JR shows here is needed too nonetheless.

HOWEVER!

I notice in the picture that the plastic securing screw comes as part of the kit, which implies it is not meant to be integrated in the chassis. Furthermore, zooming in you can see that the bottom end of the screw has a flat extension which seems to match the cut in my wheel well. It looks like you introduce it and turn it 90 degrees to secure:

image.png.83303013592a6530f57f7245966537f6.png

So I'm guessing it possible to do a full retro-fit in the end, mounting screw included.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, newbie69 said:

So I'm guessing it possible to do a full retro-fit in the end, mounting screw included.

I haven’t even used the mounting screw, the full size was quite a tight fit anyway.

If I hadn’t got the space-saver which I may want to put the foam back into at some point, I would probably have trimmed the foam. But I can cart around a lot more cr*p (spare bulb kit, jump leads, ... you get the idea) inside the wheel without the foam :D

I’m looking at replacing my 18” space saver factory spare with a full size vega 19” alloy (due to me kerbing the front left one twice when I first got the car) and have tried it in place to check it fitted. It’s a very tight fit (and may benefit from the mod shown in the original post) but definitely possible with a small raising of the floor carpet (20mm ish) and didn’t look out of place when covered with the carpet either.

from memory the plastic stud for the wheel nut that secures the spare in place appears to be a push in fit to the existing bracket in the photos above (I almost tried to remove it while drilling a tapped grounding bolt there when installing my subwoofer amp) so if you can source the stud and nut I’d say it should fit. 

• Like 1

Like JR RS Ivan and others I have replaced the space saver on my Sportline 4x4 with a full sized 235/40/19 spare. Not having a dremel to trim the plastic edge, it does still fit snugly by inserting/lifting the furthest edge of the tyre first when removing/replacing. I had to trim the foam toolholder a fair bit with a long bladed knife so it didn't sit above the tyre edge. 

I had a flat recently and when placing the tyre back in the boot I knocked and broke the plastic securing thread (the key section at the base sheared off). I ordered a replacement (A$26) but was there was no noticeable movement or noise from the unsecured tyre during this period, likely due to the snug fit. 

@Newbie69 on mine the key on the mounting screw fits into a raised/domed sheetmetal fitting which sits proud of the boot floor, yours may be the same but I can't tell from your pic. Here is a crappy pic of mine and yes i couldn't be bothered to remove the tyre this time. 

20210516_085130.jpg

• Like 2

I'm still scratching my head confused - my 19" in the wheel well still has room around it, that it will slide around!!!  

I need the lock nut to secure it.

However others r saying its a snug/tight fit!!!

Also, the tyre foam mould on mine isn't any taller than the 19" rim, hence didn't need any trimming off the top or bottom.

If anything, it is much smaller in circumference, but the strap holds it in place.  

Either way.....as long as everyone gets their happy ending :)

I replaced in my 2017 the tire fix kit moulding with a full spare wheel as well. The wheel almost fit but not quite and it was raised a few cms so got an old hard boot floor from an Audi (don't remember exact model and screwed some wood with some fabric material from another spare boot floor. I used the screw bit from pictures above and a 16 inch wheel foam moulding which is way smaller but it's doing its job. This is the final result which the added bonus of being able to carry some groceries bags without moving around.

All parts were used from random scraps someone gave to me (they are taking cars apart to sell them) so it was pretty much free except the wheel itself.

20210516_115228.jpg

20210516_115252.jpg

20210516_115246.jpg

20210516_115309.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, DoruDD said:

Unofficial options 

2. Alternate-size wheel - 205/65R16

+1

my choice too, but not tested yet on the road

-> https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/494383-can-anyone-with-a-20-tsi-220-factory-spare-wheel-tell-me-the-size/?do=findComment&comment=5550057

• 3 months later...

DoruDD - Thanks for excellent comprehensive report!

I have 4x4 and boot space big enough to fit 215mm wide tyre with existing floor.  In order to fit 235/45R18 with Pegasus rim I need to lift up the floor by 20mm and punch out the Skoda disk in the middle of the rim to secure it with plastic screw. Correct?

It is unlikely to get a puncture but when it happens, it is best to have the original wheel & tyre. Or not? Thinking about the cost, weight factor, probability of puncture, space...

What do you guys think? What prompted you to get rid of the space saver wheel and fit something else?

53 minutes ago, Cmelak said:

What do you guys think? What prompted you to get rid of the space saver wheel and fit something else?

i've had 3 punctures in the 4 yrs i've owned the car, and given the fact that the spare tyre messes with the ACC and TPMS, i decided to put the full sized spare.

plus, i hate the look of a steel wheel!!!

IMG_27012021_212027_(1080_x_608_pixel).thumb.jpg.b4f790ba991b7496631d5bda58cc15cb.jpg

Edited by JR RS

8 hours ago, Cmelak said:

During COVID because I could WFH I did a few drives between Romania and United Kingdom which is around 3000km (wanted to avoid airplanes) so I wanted to be able to replace my tyre in case I needed to without having to waste time across EU.

Even with the 2cm liftoff it doesn't affect the boot storage that much (at least for me) and it is barely noticeble. Also, due to the improvisation I can lift off and place my groceries now without them going around which is a nice added bonus. (see my 2nd photo above)