sump plug washer size anyone?

harrylime

Can anyone please advise the dimensions of the sump plug washer for my 2017 Citigo? I have found the part number, which I thinks N0138157 but hits on google come back with different sizes for the washer. I need the internal diameter and material if possible. I've always used copper washer in the past (crushable, which seem good. I don't want to use the main dealer because it's a bit of a trek, but also don't want to pay £3.50 for something that should cost pennies. 

On the other hand is it worth changing the sump plug as well ( not something I've ever done before with any car). The tightwads don't even include a sump washer with a new plug I notice.

7 hours ago, harrylime said:

Can anyone please advise the dimensions of the sump plug washer for my 2017 Citigo? I have found the part number, which I thinks N0138157 but hits on google come back with different sizes for the washer. I need the internal diameter and material if possible. I've always used copper washer in the past (crushable, which seem good. I don't want to use the main dealer because it's a bit of a trek, but also don't want to pay £3.50 for something that should cost pennies. 

On the other hand is it worth changing the sump plug as well ( not something I've ever done before with any car). The tightwads don't even include a sump washer with a new plug I notice.

Thanks for the suggestion, I appreciate it. I don't really understand why a sump plug, which has been undone twice so far at the most, should be replaced. Are they made of chocolate? Never known it before and I've done oil changes on many of my cars

If it was you personally that did the draining and refitting of the sump plug the 2 times then maybe you know it is perfect, if it was not you then why skimp on £3.50 or less.

PS.

?

Has that can not been getting annual / fixed interval oil changes?

Edited by e-Roottoot

1 hour ago, e-Roottoot said:

If it was you personally that did the draining and refitting of the sump plug the 2 times then maybe you know it is perfect, if it was not you then why skimp on £3.50 or less.

PS.

?

Has that can not been getting annual / fixed interval oil changes?

It's on fixed intervals, and was serviced at the main dealer last year as it was still in warranty. I'm not sure an aftermarket sump plug will be better than the OEM  plug fitted when new, so I'd planned only to change the seal. I've never changed the sump plug on any car before, are the Citigo ones made of soft metal or something?

They are no worse than any other sump plug, it is just the common practice to replace the plug complete even if sucking out the oil, it is purely your choice.

Getting a drip after an oil change is a PITA.

If it has had main dealership Fixed servicing then that should have been new Sump Plugs then in 2018, 2019 2020 so all should be good. Well fingers crossed.

I've been in touch with a different dealer, who was a lot more helpful. Apparently some sump plugs are alloy, some are steel, which makes more sense, although why you would make something that takes a spanner from alloy defeats me. I'll get a magnet on it later and if it's alloy I'll replace the plug, if it's steel I'll find a crushable washer that fits.

1 hour ago, harrylime said:

I've been in touch with a different dealer, who was a lot more helpful. Apparently some sump plugs are alloy, some are steel, which makes more sense, although why you would make something that takes a spanner from alloy defeats me. I'll get a magnet on it later and if it's alloy I'll replace the plug, if it's steel I'll find a crushable washer that fits.

Hi Harry, I'd stick with the same material the original plug was made from - far better to risk damage to the plug rather than the sump drain-hole (through cross-threading/overtightning)  

1 hour ago, harrylime said:

sump plugs are alloy

I have my doubts about that.  There are some plastic ones to go with plastic sumps in some recent cars, but alloy?  The washers on some might be alloy.

Copper washer will be fine, it's an M14 thread, so something that'll fit over that and not crash into anything on the OD. Bog standard I expect.

Check for leaks 1 hour and 1 day after fitting/torquing and you'll be fine.

• Like 1

For anyone interested in this, I used a 144 i.d copper crush washer from Eurocarparts - cost 69p instead of the £3.50 aluminium washer from the main dealers. It seems to be working perfectly. Link...https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/sump-plug-washer-single-14-00-x-20-00-x-2-00-333771251 It doesn't seem like much of a saving, but I hate buying anything with a ridiculously inflated price. They probably cost main dealers pennies. Savings across the board for my service, using Mann filters, NGK spark plugs and Millers fully synthetic long life oil consisted of a total servicing cost of £65, against the £300 - £319 the main dealers wanted.

• Love it! 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm of the same opinion Harry. Whilst trying to source one for another car I was told, just buy the plug it's easier.

This word is getting to be a pain "easier".

I said too, "where does sump plug go? Reply was "in the bin", Eco friendly - not.

Luckily it turned out to be same size as my bike which I buy by the dozen