AC charging

Zarjaz2000

10 minutes ago, john999boy said:

Doesn't that depend upon faster charging being an added option?

No. The only charging upgrade option is for CCS upgrade from 50kw to 100/125kw.

I have now read that they have an 11kwh AC charger.

• Thanks 1

@john999boy No, you are thinking of DC rapid charging.

There are no conflicting specs. AC single phase (what you have at home) maxes out at 7.4kW. This is the limit of the cable (32 amp current). On 3 phase AC the limit is 22kW. Still 32 amp current but 3 phases so 3x7.4.

To make use of AC to charge a battery it must be converted to DC. This is done by the car's on board charger. The max output of the on board charger is 11kW.

Therefore the max AC charge rates for Enyaq are 7.4kW single phase AND 11kW 3-phase.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Luckypants said:

@john999boy No, you are thinking of DC rapid charging.

There are no conflicting specs. AC single phase (what you have at home) maxes out at 7.4kW. This is the limit of the cable (32 amp current). On 3 phase AC the limit is 22kW. Still 32 amp current but 3 phases so 3x7.4.

To make use of AC to charge a battery it must be converted to DC. This is done by the car's on board charger. The max output of the on board charger is 11kW.

Therefore the max AC charge rates for Enyaq are 7.4kW single phase AND 11kW 3-phase.

Thank you for explaining!!

Just so you know, most free chargers at supermarkets etc are AC. The fastest ones are 22kW 3-phase and you can plug into those no problem. The car will charge at 11kW which is about 44 miles range added per hour. Worth it for a free top up while shopping. 

Yes Aldi have lots of free chargers also and Lidl also have some. I got 30% battery / 100 miles today charging at Aldi (22kW) and Tesco (7kW) today for free while doing the shop and getting lunch. Every little helps! :cool:

• 3 weeks later...

The latter points above are mainly correct. However it is incorrect to assume that all domestic properties only have single phase. Mine has 3 phase which is handy for my 3 phase wood working machines. That means that I have 440V AC available across two phases and 240V available between any phase and neutral. The OP asks a very interesting question because EV manufacturers are often less than transparent on what AC chargers is fitted. I'll ignore the CCS DC charging side, generally 40KW on up depending on the DC charge point but DC chargers are almost never fitted to domestic homes not least because of their cost.

I have a 3 phase AC charge point fitted at home for the Zoe. The Zoe has a fully capable 3 phase AC charger fitted which draws current from each of the three phases simultaneously and at 7.4Kw per phase thus 3 x 7.4Kw.... 22Kw.  I've checked all this as I have a digital 3 phase meter fitted in the 6mm 3 phase cable line to the charge point which I can talk to via my LAN and a WIFI digital interface to the meter. The cooling fan on the Zoe certainly comes on a lot when charging at the full 32A per phase. I have therefore limited the charge rate on the controller to about 26A per phase as I'm not keen on the full 96A (3x32) total being pulled whilst say somebody is using the 11.5KW shower in the house....... that's a lot of current for a domestic property.

The house was originally fitted with 3 phase because it has so many 2/3kW electric storage heaters (long removed).

I think that the Enyaq has a charger fitted that can pull from 3 phases simultaneously but is limited to or only capable of 16A per phase (16x3= 48A.....  simply W=VI so 48X230 = 11Kw) thus 11Kw charging max........ way to go Zoe on the AC charging.

So it would be good if somebody can confirm that a 3 phase AC charger is fitted in the Enyaq thus not limiting it to 7.4kW or a single phase charger. I've not been able to confirm this either way. It is more likely to be a 3 phase charger as most of mainland Europe has 3 phase to the domestic house and all new builds by design. UK infrastructure can support this in most streets but it's not delivered to the house.

18 hours ago, GIBSONMB said:

So it would be good if somebody can confirm that a 3 phase AC charger is fitted in the Enyaq thus not limiting it to 7.4kW or a single phase charger. I've not been able to confirm this either way. It is more likely to be a 3 phase charger as most of mainland Europe has 3 phase to the domestic house and all new builds by design. UK infrastructure can support this in most streets but it's not delivered to the house.

Everything I’ve read says “Max AC 3-phase rate: 11kW”, so I believe it is 3 phase capable but limited as you stated.

T.hanks, that’s what I’m hoping. I’ve taken the Enyaq for a test drive and love it and have been waiting for the 80x. However, I also have a test drive of an EV6 on the 27th July. I tow a small caravan and it turns out the max towing weight of the 80X is 1200Kg only but the EV6 is 1600Kg. So now a difficult choice….. unless I hate the EV6 when I drive it

• 4 weeks later...

I was wondering the same thing as the OP it seems to me the specs are indeed conflicting, depending on which model we're talking about.

According to both Wikipedia and ev-database.uk the "60" is limited to 7.2kw on AC. If true, that could be because it only uses one phase, even if three are available, or just caused by an overall power limit of the on board AC-DC convertor. The same sites both state that the 80 model will charge at 11kw provided it's supplied with three phase AC. The "car card" generated by the Skoda website for the 60 model lists charge rates at 11kw AC, but I think those are just theoretical, it doesn't it state anywhere (that I can find) that it will actually charge at 11kw on AC. According to their data, 7.2kw vs 11kw makes a three hour difference on the time needed for a full charge. When I went into the dealer they didn't have a clue about the technical details for the EV, they were more interested in getting me to look at the hybrid or ICE cars instead. An AC-DC module that only supports one phase would be cheaper to manufacture due to the lower voltage it has to deal with (phase to phase is much higher potential than one phase to neutral even for the same supply voltage). However, I recon it's just as likley that both models have the same power electronics and its just a software unlock option they turn off on the 60 as an extra incentive to get the 80. Or maybe the two websites mentioned are both wrong and both the 60 and 80 will actually charge at 11kw after all?

Can anyone who owns the 60 model confirm if it will actually charge at 11kw on three phase AC or not?

Hi All;

Slightly different AC charging issue:

My home charger is a Zappi which I can use to direct some or all of my solar panel energy to recharge my Enyaq.

I can also schedule the Zappi to charge the car at night when Octopus Energy's Go tariff applies at a rate of 5p per kWh.

What I would like to know is, given that it is recommended that the batteries are only charged to 80%, is there a way to 

set a limit on the car so that when the capacity reaches 80% it stops charging ?

Currently my Zappi night charge just goes on to 100% or until the night tariff ends, whichever comes sooner and I don't really

want to get up at 3am to check whether the car is charged to 80% !

7 minutes ago, Heike said:

<snip>

What I would like to know is, given that it is recommended that the batteries are only charged to 80%, is there a way to 

set a limit on the car so that when the capacity reaches 80% it stops charging ?

Currently my Zappi night charge just goes on to 100% or until the night tariff ends, whichever comes sooner and I don't really

want to get up at 3am to check whether the car is charged to 80% !

Yes there is. All EVs I have come across have this feature.

Go to the vehicle charging screen, there is a slider at the bottom of the screen to limit the max. state of charge. The slider also shows current state of charge, so perhaps you have not seen the limit 'blob'. This is an image of the screen I got from the internet, at the right hand side of the green bar at the bottom, you will see it says 'Charge to 90%' - this is the slider that can be moved so it says charge to 80%

image.jpeg.976b67f2fb4d54ac5cd9c0d80289d8b8.jpeg

• Thanks 1

It works with my pod point, and stops charging when it reaches whatever limit I’ve set. Also worked ok using a public 7kw BP pulse charger where I left it set to 90%.

However, I tried the charge scheduling from the car and although it charged the battery it only charged at 2.5 kw, so didn’t reach the 80% limit I’d set and only got up to 57% by the 0700 departure time I’d selected.

6 minutes ago, classic said:

It works with my pod point, and stops charging when it reaches whatever limit I’ve set. Also worked ok using a public 7kw BP pulse charger where I left it set to 90%.

However, I tried the charge scheduling from the car and although it charged the battery it only charged at 2.5 kw, so didn’t reach the 80% limit I’d set and only got up to 57% by the 0700 departure time I’d selected.

No worries.

I invariably charge at home using my Zappi, so I will set the charge as you and Luckypants have described and I will be able to monitor the results.

Thanks again !

• Like 1

The max state of limiter works for both AC and DC charging, regardless of location. Scheduled charging is not working in the car, so use the scheduling on your home charger to ensure you use the off-peak rates. You just have to remember to raise the limit to 100% if you want to use the full potential of the battery.

Edited by Luckypants

9 minutes ago, Luckypants said:

The max state of limiter works for both AC and DC charging, regardless of location. Scheduled charging is not working in the car, so use the scheduling on your home charger to ensure you use the off-peak rates. You just have to remember to raise the limit to 100% if you want to use the full potential of the battery.

Understood !

• 2 weeks later...

On 12/08/2021 at 17:16, andrew.g said:

I was wondering the same thing as the OP it seems to me the specs are indeed conflicting, depending on which model we're talking about.

According to both Wikipedia and ev-database.uk the "60" is limited to 7.2kw on AC. If true, that could be because it only uses one phase, even if three are available, or just caused by an overall power limit of the on board AC-DC convertor. The same sites both state that the 80 model will charge at 11kw provided it's supplied with three phase AC. The "car card" generated by the Skoda website for the 60 model lists charge rates at 11kw AC, but I think those are just theoretical, it doesn't it state anywhere (that I can find) that it will actually charge at 11kw on AC. According to their data, 7.2kw vs 11kw makes a three hour difference on the time needed for a full charge. When I went into the dealer they didn't have a clue about the technical details for the EV, they were more interested in getting me to look at the hybrid or ICE cars instead. An AC-DC module that only supports one phase would be cheaper to manufacture due to the lower voltage it has to deal with (phase to phase is much higher potential than one phase to neutral even for the same supply voltage). However, I recon it's just as likley that both models have the same power electronics and its just a software unlock option they turn off on the 60 as an extra incentive to get the 80. Or maybe the two websites mentioned are both wrong and both the 60 and 80 will actually charge at 11kw after all?

Can anyone who owns the 60 model confirm if it will actually charge at 11kw on three phase AC or not?

Has anyone actually charged their own iV 60 at 11kW from a 3-phase AC supply? As people say here, most places, say that the Enyaq can charge on 3-phase at up to 11kW, because of the rating of its onboard AC/DC converter. It cannot charge at the theoretical supply maximum of 22kW.

Before I go spending on a 3-phase cable to get the full 11kW public AC charge points, I just wanted to check, because as some people have commented, it is not clear from Skoda if the 11kW is only the iV 80 or 60 as well

https://www.evchargingcablestore.com/find-my-ev-charger/vw-charger-cables-plugs/vw-id3-charging-cables/vw-3-phase-charging-cable-type2-to-type2

Edited by Cotswold

I understood it is both the 60 and 80 that can go to 11 Kw/h on 3 Phase and 7.2 Kw/h on single phase.

The difference in price between the cables is minimal - one one brand I was looking at today the three phase cable was 8 Euro more.

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B086QWKLN6/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A282C59MOJOD44&psc=1

Edited by Perchede
  • Like 1

I’ve got one of the cars but as yet haven’t used anything other than home charging, a 7kw ac charger at a car park, and one 150kw rapid. I haven’t had to use public chargers anywhere near as much as I thought as the actual range is really good. Looking on zap map I’ve seen some 22kw public chargers, I’ll give one a try if I’m nearby next week, but as far as I can see they have a tethered cable or you use the normal type 2 cable of the car.

Do you need to additionally buy an actual 3 phase cable ? Excuse my lack of knowledge, I’m still learning something new every week with this ev thing.

Edited by classic
  • Like 1

Yes you do the three phase cable has three live connections. A 22 Kw/h  charger, connected with a 3 Phase cable with give you 11 Kw/h.

With a single phase cable 7.2 Kw/h.

Edited by Perchede
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Perchede said:

Yes you do the three phase cable has three live connections. A 22 Kw/h  charger, connected with a 3 Phase cable with give you 11 Kw/h.

So, if I go on a 22kw public charger and use my normal type 2 cable the car will charge at 7.2kw and If I had a 3 phase cable it would charge at 11kw ?

I don’t think I would bother for an extra 3.8kw 😬