New windscreen report

I dread new windscreens, had three replaced over the years and none of them where like the original. Poor optics, wind noise and so on.

My wife's car took a nasty stone chip which quickly spread a few feet across the screen. Covered by the insurance so arranged fitting of a new screen. Having spoken to a window fitter who advised me that spurious glass can have fitment issues, they are cheaply made, and as he put it, 99% of customers don't know or don't care. He advised to specifically request OEM glass, which in this case cost about 5 x the cost of spurious, which I did. This took a couple of weeks to arrive and was just fitted today.

The chap was very efficient, all done in an hour and I watched him like a hawk! Very neat, clean and efficient.

It has to set for an hour, I will give it a bit longer than that. Fingers crossed.

IMG_20210628_103632.jpg

IMG_20210628_103813.jpg

IMG_20210628_112314.jpg

• Like 1

Interesting. A colleague recently had a new screen fitted to his car and he said the optics are awful...OK for his wife who is a foot shorter, but when he drives it gives him vision problems.

Do you have to pay extra for OEM screens? I guess insurance wont cover it?

• Like 1

Just now, Shugmo said:

Interesting. A colleague recently had a new screen fitted to his car and he said the optics are awful...OK for his wife who is a foot shorter, but when he drives it gives him vision problems.

Do you have to pay extra for OEM screens? I guess insurance wont cover it?

The windscreen company checked with the insurance and it is covered. Seems you are well within your rights to request OEM, even though the insurance company obviously wants to fit whatever cheap rubbish it can get away with.

• Like 1

Well done for standing your ground.

I’m just going through hell with auto windscreens for causing £3500 worth of paint and body damage to my car after fitting a windscreen!

terrible fitter, terrible quality aftermarket screen 

4 hours ago, ApertureS said:

Well done for standing your ground.

I’m just going through hell with auto windscreens for causing £3500 worth of paint and body damage to my car after fitting a windscreen!

terrible fitter, terrible quality aftermarket screen 

Some of 'em truly are bungling bodgers - I had one done a few weeks ago on my 11 year old Golf - put a right good scratch along the roof line and the screen itself isn't good inasmuch as in bright sunshine I can see what seems to be dust in the laminate.

I Had a new screen a while back, OEM fitted the dealers by their prefered fitting company over 900 quid, but worth it.

Insurance covered it less the windscreen eccess (NFU)

Mayoboat

L and K 280

I'm kinda hoping that heated screens for the MkIII L&K are only available from Skoda..........thus avoiding all that pleading with the insurance co.

Not that I need one - yet.

15 hours ago, Berisford said:

I'm kinda hoping that heated screens for the MkIII L&K are only available from Skoda..........thus avoiding all that pleading with the insurance co.

Not that I need one - yet.

There is nothing unique about the L&K screen is there that would make this the case..?

30 minutes ago, SC03OTT said:

There is nothing unique about the L&K screen is there that would make this the case..?

I don’t know, do the Chinese do knock-off heated screens?