water leak in the boot plastic trim

I have had a look at some threads regarding boot water leak, and they seem to involve water in the spare wheel well, and carpets being damp, with advice being check/replace trim and check lights etc. 

But my water leak appears to be in the boot lid, as when i lift it i hear the water run down the right hand side behind the plastic trim. and as i lower it i hear it running back again. it doesnt seem to be a lot at the moment, but a small amount get s on the provacy cover thing that you pull to hide the boot contents.

i have removed the bottom half of the trim, i cant see any visible signs of where the water would come from or get in. Naturally its dry so i cant see any water now.

Anyone know if this has happened to others, and how its fixed? 

I'll take a look. Only seems to get water when raining though. I also have found that it's actually withing the metal frame of the boot not between the plastic and metal as I had first thought. With the plastic trim off I can see the water in the bottom of the boot lid (when closed, and through window). If I raise the boot I hear the water whoosh down the side, towards the top led of the boot, then back down the side again as I lower the boot. It does pour out of a hole in the boot when I raise /lower it. Bit surely it shouldn't get in there.? I can't see where it would come from..

5 hours ago, erindad said:

There should be drain holes along the bottom of the bootlid that lets water out in case of a small leak round the window etc.  Are they clear.

Yes holes cut into the metal, they appear clear. It's odd because if it was a leak around the window it would just go into the car, this is inside the metal frame of the boot.. it must be from the top somehow and collecting I just can't work out how or where from.

Anyone else seen this or know why it happens?

On 07/07/2021 at 14:00, t3rm3y said:

Yes holes cut into the metal, they appear clear. It's odd because if it was a leak around the window it would just go into the car, this is inside the metal frame of the boot.. it must be from the top somehow and collecting I just can't work out how or where from.

Edited by t3rm3y

ah okay... if its weather related its getting in from outside into the frame. 

check around the hinges and cable bellows from the car into the hatch. its probably getting in up there.

Check where the gas struts fit the hatch.  The studs can occasionally work loose and watervget in.  A bit of silicon and tightening them up can usually sort it.

On 14/07/2021 at 21:11, mac11irl said:

ah okay... if its weather related its getting in from outside into the frame. 

check around the hinges and cable bellows from the car into the hatch. its probably getting in up there.

I think it's mainly the angle of the car when parked. If I park with nose uphill , boot pointing downhill then the water drains out ok. But if face other way with car pointing downhill then the water stays in the metal chassis... Guess I'll just have to park uphill all the time. The hinges and cable bellows seem clear and tight. The drain holes seem clear.

36 minutes ago, t3rm3y said:

I think it's mainly the angle of the car when parked. If I park with nose uphill , boot pointing downhill then the water drains out ok. But if face other way with car pointing downhill then the water stays in the metal chassis... Guess I'll just have to park uphill all the time. The hinges and cable bellows seem clear and tight. The drain holes seem clear.

I don't know where the drains are on a hatch (mine's an estate) but from what you described it could be the water is entering the door structure all the time but is able to drain out again when the car is parked "nose up" but not "nose down".

18 minutes ago, MikeTheThinker said:

I don't know where the drains are on a hatch (mine's an estate) but from what you described it could be the water is entering the door structure all the time but is able to drain out again when the car is parked "nose up" but not "nose down".

same as my feeling on it, my concern is more so where the heck is it getting in, as that whats like to try abd sort if it was mine. i had the same problem of water retention in the trim and in the wheel well in my mk1 hatch but it was from the washer motor leaking and the pipe joint under the carpet popping at different times. 

1 minute ago, mac11irl said:

same as my feeling on it, my concern is more so where the heck is it getting in, as that whats like to try abd sort if it was mine. i had the same problem of water retention in the trim and in the wheel well in my mk1 hatch but it was from the washer motor leaking and the pipe joint under the carpet popping at different times. 

How about pulling the plastics and using the old newspaper trick to get a better idea of where the water is coming in?  Another possibility is to selectively duct tape off sections of the closed boot joint and spray it with a hose to localise the ingress point or points.