Windscreen wipers don't turn off / come on by themselves (Fabia Mk3)

nta16

Windscreen wipers don't turn off, come on by themselves.

I know this subject has been covered before but I've posted this to make it even easier to find and to give an end result and my take on it.

Plus to show where the fuse for the wipers (30 amp) actually is rather than the confusing diagram in the driver's instruction handbook 'OWNER'S MANUAL' / 'OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS'.  - https://manual.skoda-auto.com/004/en-com/Models

The windscreen wipers at first started to occasionally switch themselves on, at the first intermittent setting of the stalk, on my wife's 2015  (MY 2016) Fabia Mk3, then they progressed to being on when ever the ignition was on.

The repair was quite straight forward with the help of following a good clear video and it, as with many car servicing, maintenance and repairs, boiled down to cleaning and lubricating - but in this case cleaning off the lubrication.

The wiper stalk either had too much or the wrong sort of grease applied to the moving knuckle (and box) end of the stalk (probably at factory) and it had got all over the contacts causing the problem.

Later I've put the link to the very good video with clear, simple, friendly instruction (which I picked up from another thread on this site) but a few notes might also help with it.

As well as general tools you will need to have or beg or borrow a M12 Triple Square XZN Spline tool bit for the big screw that holds the steering wheel on - and I'd add some thread lock back on that screw when putting it back and T25, T15. T10 Torx screwdrivers and a small pick is useful to raise the orange locking tab bit on the airgbag connector and a can of good quality contact cleaner.  After cleaning for contact switch lubrication I use Servisol Super 10 Switch Cleaning Lubricant .

My  other variances from the video were that I didn't need the battery connected to move the steering wheel just have the key in the ignition switch to release the steering lock.  The steering wheel will feel heavier to turn as it's now unassisted.  I also used a couple of old plastic spatulas to part the plastic steering wheel cowl, this parts them enough to lift the top part forwards and up to unclip it (easier to do than for me to explain).  I used a screwdriver instead of a big pick (as I don't have one) to release the airbag clips, very easy to do once you can get your head in the right place to see the clip.  Take care not to pull the orange locking tab bit on the airbag connector.  The "clock spring" is AFAIK the indictor cancelling part, I think.  I personally wouldn't put grease back on as that's where the problem started, as put I use Servisol Super 10 Switch Cleaning Lubricant, as I have done for decades for other electrics.

A cracking video, clear, simple, friendly instruction - 

Thanks to the video the wipers work again as they should.

HTH.  Cheers, Nigel.

fabiafusebox.JPG

M12.jpg

servisolsuper10.jpg

Edited by nta16
title

• nta16 changed the title to Windscreen wipers don't turn off / come on by themselves (Fabia Mk3)