Haldex Filter Clean and oil change Gen 5

Who's cleaned out their Haldex filter and changed their oil, was hoping for a guide and if OBDEleven Pro is enough to carry out the job properly.

20 minutes ago, esoxecosse said:

Who's cleaned out their Haldex filter and changed their oil, was hoping for a guide and if OBDEleven Pro is enough to carry out the job properly.

Have a quick look at this, one of the better ones IMHO

1 hour ago, esoxecosse said:

Me. heaps of guides on the hinternet.  No diagnostic tool required.  If you don't think it's working properly the pump maybe gone.  Mine was surprisingly clean though given 50k miles and I suspect no previous change. It can be done with the car on stands, I did.  Reaching up for the bolts and removal of the wiring loom (and refitting is tricky) from flat on your back is a challenge though..  I left the loom in place but its not ideal with the pump hanging from the loom and you need to clean the mesh screen in situ in that case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pUXkDXt1cw

Edited by TheClient
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, flybynite said:

Have a quick look at this, one of the better ones IMHO

Doesn't seem to be the same set up mate, but thanks anyway.

Cheers

32 minutes ago, esoxecosse said:

Doesn't seem to be the same set up mate, but thanks anyway.

Its on a Volvo but its the same Gen V Haldex, the Volkswizard one on the Golf is good too. Easy job, much easier than the Gen IV.

I have used these guys and found them good

https://www.haldexrepairs.co.uk/product-tag/Skoda/

I tend to use the Borg Warner oil as they make the Haldex units but I'm sure the Febi stuff is fine

• Like 1

Yep found the haldexrepairs website and watched the Volkwizard video, both very helpful, cheers, was wondering really if OBDEleven works ok for the pump prime and the rest after the filter clean and oil change.

Cheers

• Like 1

If you are just cleaning, I don't see how a prime would matter than much? Lots of other DIYs don't mention it.  The re-learn procedure I can understand if the filter mesh was blocked. Gives incorrect set up to the ECU needs to be re-learnt. I did neither on my car from what I've read on VWROC forums OBD11 stalls and/or doesn't work properly for 2 of 3 basic settings referred to.  I might have a look later as I have OBDeleven but don't want to create a problem where I don't think I have one!

Pic attached.

20210526_104323.jpg

Edited by TheClient
  • Like 1

When I changed the oil my pump filter wasn’t blocked but there was a lot of gunk inside the pump hosing, so clean that part either.

I changed the o-rings and bolts of the pump, but I don’t think these are mandatory - you can change them every next cleaning.

After starting the car for 1-2 mins, and then turning it off, I had to add additional 100-150ml of haldex fluid.

I used Ravenol AWD oil, but any other specified for the Haldex gen 5 should be good.

• Like 2

Yes, I've seen posts with gunk. Mine didn't seem to have any inside the housing either.  Next time I've got the car up I may need to add another 100Ml of haldex fluid though!   :blush: Thanks

• Like 2

On 30/07/2021 at 10:18, TheClient said:

, I don't see how a prime would matter than much?

Risky business not priming the pump before heading out. The reason is it gets rid of any airlock in the pump and primes the pump ready for use. The issue is that if the pump isn't primed properly it could just 'airlock' out, and the first thing you would know about it is the lack of wheel spinning. You might or might not get a pump failure error message, as monitoring of that particular part of the car is not as indepth that other parts.  HALDEX oil and gauze filter change without doing that process may just stop the system from working properly. I agree that also have to recheck the fluid level after a pump prime. 

Edited by varaderoguy

I think that the pump primes when the ignition is switched on and that the fluid is circulated at all times at a nominal pressure ready to respond instantly to demand. If I have dreamed that please correct me.

+1 for the recheck the level although I probably forgot, well I have forgotten whether I did it or not which increases the odds :)

Now I can recall re-checking the level after a road test or maybe I dreamed that up as well :blush

Edited by J.R.