Infotainment screen rebooting and Freezing

CLTrounson

Driving today using the sat nav, the screen shut itself down 3 times and then restarted itself as if it was doing a reboot. I had to restart the sat navigation destination manually afterwards.   Eventually it totally froze, despite parking up and going to Starbucks.     Eventually it came back to life.    Phone's drop off all the time and the system randomly calls it's 'Emergency Call' assist and then stops.

Anyone else experienced similar, and if so, what was the cause/fix?

Just trying to get a handle on things before taking it to the dealer. 
I have a new 1.5tsi SEL.

If it is a recent Scala then the sos module should be fixed. If not then that could be a culprit for the SoS calls. Try to overload the infotainment (connect, phone, start navi , start app,...) and see how it behaves. Probably a bad unit if it shuts off by itself.

You're not alone as I posted here I am having a similar problem and after having booked it in and wasted a morning at the dealership - it's still the same :sadsmile:.

p.s. the workshop obviously did a diagnostic check as I was asked whether the battery had been disconnected or gone flat so presumably that is something that shows up in the error logs,

Edited by longedge
afterthought

Similar issue since a week ago. So you're not alone.

Hi, Im a french owner driving in France. 

The Amundsen started to reboot toward the end of a 700km drive in one day.

It reboots only when using Android Auto. Every 10 minutes or so.

I did not notice an Android auto update a week ago.

I tried with another Smartphone, another cable, using waze, or gmaps or just a music app. Empties the app cache on my smartphone.Still reboots happen. 

My car dealer claims since it is an android auto issue I should check with Google..... Nice. Skoda France is not aware of the issue.

If anybody is aware of what could be causing this bug I would also be interested to know.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have the problem that occasionally when you turn the igntion on the mmi stays blank and won't switch on, at the same time the E-call button goes red and I get a warning on the dash. Cycling the ignition or licking the car didn't fix it. On both occasions its fixed itself my locking the car and then opening it and starting it with the 2nd key. My car is an early 2020 model and has two faults in the ecall module. 

• 1 month later...

I've got it but I don't need to be using Android Auto for it to happen. Happens almost every day. I've taken it to the garage who are aware that there are issues (possibly a RAM problem) but don't have a fix.

This says to me that

1) Skoda know they have a problem but don't know how to fix it

2) Skoda know they have a problem and are working hard to fix it

3) Skoda know they have a problem but can't be bothered to fix it

4) Skoda are in denial that they've got a problem

My guess is somewhere between 3 and 4.

Not blaming the local garage as they've always been excellent, but having owned Skoda's for quite a few years now, the customer service aspects from head office have gone right downhill

I've got multiple issue with the Amundsen system on my 2020 SE-L. Functions drop off randomly, phone mic stops working intermittently, sat nav doesn't load sometimes, car intermet connection drops out regularly and GPS nav signal dropped out when was on rural roads in Kent the other week leaving me stranded (with no phone signal). Android auto now disappeared from the menus as well. Also get the 'Initiaing SOS Call' message every few mins in the virtual cockpit display even though it apparently has had the software fix already. Nightmare.

Very frustrating as everything else about the car is good, but this dud system renders the vehicle almost useless at times.

Booked into the dealer next week.

• 4 months later...

Recent arrival to this forum and topic. My 2021 Scala Amundsen system is giving problems and has done since new. After an hour or two of driving, the SOS light goes out and an error message comes up. Ignore it and shortly afterwards, satnav goes haywire telling you you're in the middle of a field or whatever. Do a system reset and the system locks up at 'Logging on...'.

However, the fix I have found is switch off and wait 25 minutes then all is good. Less time than that then the problems immediately return at switch-on. Conclusion?... chip overheating I believe. As with any cpu, if the main chip gets too hot, chaos ensues.

I've attempted to prove my theory by running umpteen things at once... Apple CarPlay via wifi, Radio, SatNav etc and sure enough, the more you run, the sooner it seems to happen. However, it never happens for the dealer of course as the car needs to be an hour or two or more into a journey before it occurs. 

Sound familiar to anyone?

I have the same issue with my 21 Superb. It doesn't always cause the GPS malfunction or hang the system, but really annoying when it does, as you can't even listen to the radio. I also find it happens more frequently driving in London than anywhere else (not exclusively, but noticeably - I drive in London maybe once a month or six weeks and it almost always happens there.

• 4 months later...

I have the same issue with my 2021 Scala. I have it booked in for diagnosis in September. The dealer has told me that they expect to get to the bottom of the problem but it may take up to a week. I will let you know of any developments.

• 2 months later...

Having had initial software updates through a dealer the problem was not resolved. I then phoned Skoda direct as I had lost confidence in the dealer and a very helpful lady contacted the dealer for me and arranged an appointment for me. Further updates were installed. I have not yet been on a journey of 2 hours or more to test the system. I did feel that involving Skoda forced the hand of the dealership.

• 5 months later...

I had, well, I say had, but may still be having the same issues.  I have badgered the local dealer and they have been good in trying to get things resolved.  It actually started while the car was still under warranty but reared it's head after the warranty expired, so I complained to Skoda UK.  

I'm hoping that after several trips to the dealer it is now sorted but as my beloved pinches the car and doesn't really take a lot of notice of messages, or if she does, she doesn't relay them to me, I don't know if it has sorted.

The easiest way is to see if the media has gone back to the start.  And I have just spotted the usb on the table so that won't help.  Oh well.  She is back after a few days away so I'll ask if it behaved itself.

I like the car, it is quick enough and frugal enough for my liking but will I buy another Skoda?  I will have to toss a coin!